E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) > PPF Automatic Carwash?

11-17-2023, 05:13 AM   #1
snyder268
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 M340i

Garage List
PPF Automatic Carwash?

Hey guys,

Anyone have full ppf and take their cars through automatic carwashes regularly? Spoke to a few PPF installer and both seemed to say it’s fine as long as it’s not the high pressure touchless. This is one of the reasons I was leaning towards full ppf. Ease of maintenance in the winter when I can hand wash the csr outside. Let me know thoughts, experiences, recommendations!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 06:54 AM   #2
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

People do this all the time without issue, just remember that (depending on the installer and the film) some will not warranty their film/work under these conditions.

Secondly, if it's not touchless then you can be absolutely sure that it's going to beat your PPF up over time, meaning it'll lose its ultimate shine. If all you're after is protection for a certain period and not protection + beauty for 8+ years, then go for it.
Appreciate 2
      11-17-2023, 09:17 AM   #3
snyder268
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
People do this all the time without issue, just remember that (depending on the installer and the film) some will not warranty their film/work under these conditions.

Secondly, if it's not touchless then you can be absolutely sure that it's going to beat your PPF up over time, meaning it'll lose its ultimate shine. If all you're after is protection for a certain period and not protection + beauty for 8+ years, then go for it.
Appreciate this response. I’m interested in the winter months to keep it clean and protected but that’s a good perspective about losing the shine eventually. Not to sound ignorant here, if I reapply ceramic layer on top of the PPF every spring that would in theory prolong the life and shine?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 10:35 AM   #4
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyder268 View Post
Appreciate this response. I’m interested in the winter months to keep it clean and protected but that’s a good perspective about losing the shine eventually. Not to sound ignorant here, if I reapply ceramic layer on top of the PPF every spring that would in theory prolong the life and shine?
I don't think it works that way, although the installer may try to sell you CC on top.

The problem is going to be the inconsistent loss of ceramic coating, and the inability to effectively refinish the PPF, so anything trapped in the film, or any scratches, or otherwise imperfections, would be trapped by the new coating.
Appreciate 1
snyder268184.50
      11-17-2023, 01:25 PM   #5
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Most PPF now is self healing to small physical marring, so a good wash that isn't touchless may be ok. Touchless it depends on pressure and also what chemicals they use.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 01:27 PM   #6
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
I don't think it works that way, although the installer may try to sell you CC on top.

The problem is going to be the inconsistent loss of ceramic coating, and the inability to effectively refinish the PPF, so anything trapped in the film, or any scratches, or otherwise imperfections, would be trapped by the new coating.
The film still self heals with a ceramic coating on top. Most good films have something built-in now anyway but I have no problems with self healing under a coating. You can't really refinish PPF anyway. Polishing removes the top coat and is not advised except as a a last resort if you ask Xpel.
Appreciate 1
snyder268184.50
      11-17-2023, 01:54 PM   #7
snyder268
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
The film still self heals with a ceramic coating on top. Most good films have something built-in now anyway but I have no problems with self healing under a coating. You can't really refinish PPF anyway. Polishing removes the top coat and is not advised except as a a last resort if you ask Xpel.
Yeah that makes sense. I’m getting full Xpel ultimate plus and then their fusion plus ceramic on top. So hopefully this will give enough self healing protection.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 02:00 PM   #8
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyder268 View Post
Yeah that makes sense. I’m getting full Xpel ultimate plus and then their fusion plus ceramic on top. So hopefully this will give enough self healing protection.
I am still uneasy about recommending automated car washes, and they will definitely accelerate degradation of the coating, but it should be ok occasionally. Ceramic coatings are chemically resistant but not very physically resistant. A light finishing polish will remove most coatings.
Appreciate 0