E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Harmon Kardon Logic 7 - No Sound, No Chime

01-23-2024, 02:08 AM   #1
335cabrioking
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i Convertible

Harmon Kardon Logic 7 - No Sound, No Chime

Hello everyone on e90post!

I am experiencing an issue with the Harmon Kardon Logic7 sound system in my 2011 BMW 335i (e93) convertible.

I got into my car and inserted the key fob, and my phone connected to Bluetooth automatically and music was playing like normal. I did not start the engine. I was listening to music like that with the engine off for a few minutes and tried to adjust the volume via the volume knob as well as the steering wheel volume controls, but the volume stayed the same. Shortly after that, I heard a quick static sound and the audio stopped completely. The static sound wasn't loud as the volume was pretty low.

I tried starting (and restarting) the engine as well as pulling out the fob, locking/unlocking the doors, etc to see if that would fix the issue, but it didn't. I also noticed that the chime that normally plays when the door is open with the key still inserted wasn't playing.

Everything appears to be functioning like normal on the iDrive system (Bluetooth connection, switching to different AM/FM radio stations, Navigation, etc) with the exception of the Logic 7 sound settings under 'Tone'. I noticed that the values had been reset to the standard settings. When I try to adjust the settings (toggle Logic7 Surround, adjust Treble/Bass, etc), the values stay the same. But if I select one of the settings and adjust it, such as Treble, it'll show the change only after closing out of the Tone settings page and then re-opening it.

After doing some research online and on the forums, it looks like it could be an issue with the MOST bus connection, blown fuse(s), another cable gone loose, or a fried amp. Or an issue with the IBS.

Prior to this happening, the only issue I had with the sound system was that my passenger mid speaker wasn't working at all. And occasionally when streaming via Bluetooth, it would skip and sound kind of staticy which went away if I toggled to radio for 1-2 seconds then went back to Bluetooth.

I haven't seen the warning on the dash for the SOS system.

I'm hoping that this isn't a fried amp as those cost $1500-2000 to replace. What order should I go in to troubleshoot myself before taking it in to an indy shop or dealership?

I'm thinking/hoping that it isn't a fried amp as the iDrive software is acting weird when I attempt to adjust the sound settings, but I could be wrong.

EDIT: It has been raining a bit over the last 2 days. I still need to check the amp to see if there's a leak in that area. But if it were water damage, wouldn't there still be sound? Just distorted or muffled?

Last edited by 335cabrioking; 01-23-2024 at 02:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 10:44 AM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Always check you battery voltage with a meter before working on these
cars or running diagnostics.

There is thousand threads here that describe water damage three or four within
the last two weeks. It's wet winter most places.
You can get the Logic 7 amps on ebay for around 400 bucks and under.
Convertibles are especially prone to water leaks.(Sorry I said coupes first)
Checking for water damage is the first step .
Fixing the leaks is the second step.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2074175
Please read the entire above thread and the links in it.

convertible leak points
(changed to correct link)

when the amp is going bad it may make a few dying sounds but not guaranteed.
Maybe partially drowned with the Most Connection board still functioning but the power amp board dead. Read the links all the links.
There are status LED's on the amp if you read the links it tells you how to interpret them .

Last edited by ctuna; 01-23-2024 at 03:24 PM..
Appreciate 0