F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > New CAI causing lean fuel/ fuel trims out of whack? LTFT & STFT
GetBMWParts

02-04-2024, 12:06 PM   #1
B58 _gran_coupe_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F36 440i Odin Tuned DAW turbo

New CAI causing lean fuel/ fuel trims out of whack? LTFT & STFT

I recently installed a DAW Flowmax and (per turbo manufacturer) a CAI.

Into the remote tuning phase and we are having trouble with LTFT and STFT being out of whack.

Reset 02 sensors and 02 sensor regulations and checked for leaks in the charge pipe and around sensors and inlet manifold visually and with contact cleaner spray.

Trims came back in line but then the short term fuel trims went out after half a tank of gas or so.

Last night a put the factory airbox back on and reset adaptations again on the 02 sensors.

30 miles of driving and trims are looking gold.

Could the open CAI intake cause a lean mixture and the high trim readings?

I will run some more miles and gas through and see if it stays good. I'll also do a smoke test to further rule out an air leak when the kit comes.

This issue is holding up the tune. I'm also wondering how much the stock airbox will restrict flow when we staty to dial some heat into the turbo. If I have to put the intake back I guess the same problem will.arise.

Anyone have any ideas or comments on this?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 01:35 PM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Cold air intakes triggering a lean code are not an issue on the B58 platform. Please let us know once you figure it out

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 02:24 PM   #3
B58 _gran_coupe_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Cold air intakes triggering a lean code are not an issue on the B58 platform. Please let us know once you figure it out
Good to know so I can eliminate that option. Hopefully the smoke test will reveal something.

I don't mind issues when I know what the issue is. This is bugging me now.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 03:33 PM   #4
nosam1g
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i

which intake ?
2018 340i - MHD CUSTOM TUNE, PURE850, DORCH STG2.5,MHD-FLEX-FUEL, M-PERF LSD, XHP Stg 2, CSF Heat Exchanger, M-Perf EXHAUST Mid Pipe BACK, Ross Racing Oil Catch Can, Evo Race Work Downpipe, PURE Inlet, DINAN Intake, VRSF Chargepipe
2011 335is - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 05:06 PM   #5
B58 _gran_coupe_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosam1g View Post
which intake ?
It's a MAD intake that was on it. The design with the lid. MST type design.

Fits really well
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 06:23 PM   #6
WrxToBeamerGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58 _gran_coupe_ View Post
Anyone have any ideas or comments on this?
I'm not sure who you decided to have tune your car but if it was Shoup or Odin I trust their judgement that something is wrong mechanically and not tune related.

There is a table specifically for aftermarket intakes but honestly I've never run into the issue you're having while tuning. There's also a fuel scalar table that is used when running ethanol which needs to be increase otherwise you will get lean codes.
Attached Images

02-04-2024, 06:51 PM   #7
B58 _gran_coupe_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrxToBeamerGuy View Post
I'm not sure who you decided to have tune your car but if it was Shoup or Odin I trust their judgement that something is wrong mechanically and not tune related.

There is a table specifically for aftermarket intakes but honestly I've never run into the issue you're having while tuning. There's also a fuel scalar table that is used when running ethanol which needs to be increase otherwise you will get lean codes.
Yes definitely not tune related. We have been doing many logs to make sure everything is happy before turning up the heat. This is something that was there already for sure. Its a slow process but I'd rather all of the checks and balances be in place now so I don't run into problems down the line.

Shoup is an absolute wizard with this stuff. He recognized this issue right away but he cannot make any changes to my engine remotely. I'm trying to figure it out so he can do his thing. I will run the smoke/ leak.test tomorrow and see if any air is coming in
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2024, 12:39 PM   #8
E90ROXS
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Check your O2 sensors physically. I had the same issue and found out there was a leak on the upstream O2 sensor.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 02:35 PM   #9
B58
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Make sure the MAF is oriented to the correct position it needs to be at on the MAD intake. Their products are whatever. I had a bad charge pipe fit ment and my friend had a bad down pipe with crappy fitment and incorrect o2 sensor threads. They might have drilled the MAF holes incorrectly and the sensor is sitting backwards. Otherwise I don’t see how a open intake can cause that issue, but if everything checks out OK just invest in something else. The BMS works and is the same concept that MAD and others copied.
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2024, 03:39 PM   #10
B58 _gran_coupe_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58 View Post
Make sure the MAF is oriented to the correct position it needs to be at on the MAD intake. Their products are whatever. I had a bad charge pipe fit ment and my friend had a bad down pipe with crappy fitment and incorrect o2 sensor threads. They might have drilled the MAF holes incorrectly and the sensor is sitting backwards. Otherwise I don’t see how a open intake can cause that issue, but if everything checks out OK just invest in something else. The BMS works and is the same concept that MAD and others copied.
Yeah my friend told me to check that and I can't understand how an air leak in an open pipe would make a difference
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 03:40 PM   #11
B58 _gran_coupe_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90ROXS View Post
Check your O2 sensors physically. I had the same issue and found out there was a leak on the upstream O2 sensor.
Yeah my tuner said check those. Do you mean physically unscrew them or just check them for snug?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 03:56 PM   #12
E90ROXS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yeah my tuner said check those. Do you mean physically unscrew them or just check them for snug?
yeah check to see if it's snugged.
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2024, 04:14 PM   #13
B58 _gran_coupe_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
yeah check to see if it's snugged.
I'd kick myself if that's the issue. Going home to check it now thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 05:01 PM   #14
B58
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Yeah my friend told me to check that and I can't understand how an air leak in an open pipe would make a difference

I’m not referring to an air leak. The MAF has to be installed in a certain direction. I was referring it to being put on backwards by the design of the aftermarket adapter.

Ultimately your best bet is to get another intake or run the stock one. That cheap intake isn’t worth going back and forth about resolving the issue.
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2024, 06:58 PM   #15
B58 _gran_coupe_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58 View Post
I’m not referring to an air leak. The MAF has to be installed in a certain direction. I was referring it to being put on backwards by the design of the aftermarket adapter.

Ultimately your best bet is to get another intake or run the stock one. That cheap intake isn’t worth going back and forth about resolving the issue.
Yeah I checked the orientation and it was fine. 'Maybe' the seal/ gasket was not sealing and caused cavitation or interrupted the airflow so I'll leave the oem box on for now.

I checked the 02 sensors and they are both snugged up.

Just received the smoke tester so I'll get that going.

I wanna check my exhaust for leaks while I'm at it.

I have the orings for the charge pipe coming too for the turbo end and the throttle body end.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 01:37 PM   #16
E90ROXS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I checked the orientation and it was fine. 'Maybe' the seal/ gasket was not sealing and caused cavitation or interrupted the airflow so I'll leave the oem box on for now.

I checked the 02 sensors and they are both snugged up.

Just received the smoke tester so I'll get that going.

I wanna check my exhaust for leaks while I'm at it.

I have the orings for the charge pipe coming too for the turbo end and the throttle body end.
Make sure you get a high psi smoke tester. You won't see any smoke on tight leaks with those 1psi machines.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 06:28 PM   #17
sigterm2.0
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Hate to "cross thread" or whatever (https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=30888449), but this does sound similar to a problem I am having. The unfortunate thing with mine is I have so datalogs before I installed the downpipe, etc...

My lean conditions were happening before my CAI, I did reset adaptations, every time I changed a map, but the AFRs never came down into what I've have always known as ratios safe for turbo... They're at NA ratios and a bit higher!

I checked that the O2s were tight, and the upper ring clamp was tight. I'll raise the car tomorrow morning and check that the lower clamp is tight...

Any other ideas? :-/
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2024, 08:23 PM   #18
B58 _gran_coupe_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigterm2.0 View Post
Hate to "cross thread" or whatever (https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=30888449), but this does sound similar to a problem I am having. The unfortunate thing with mine is I have so datalogs before I installed the downpipe, etc...

My lean conditions were happening before my CAI, I did reset adaptations, every time I changed a map, but the AFRs never came down into what I've have always known as ratios safe for turbo... They're at NA ratios and a bit higher!

I checked that the O2s were tight, and the upper ring clamp was tight. I'll raise the car tomorrow morning and check that the lower clamp is tight...

Any other ideas? :-/
Hmm sounds similar. Mine seem to be under control now still with the old airbox back in. Not saying it's the cai. I have a different intake to try.

I have charge pipe gaskets to put in too because the kit doesn't include those.

My tuner says the car has a drinking problem he increased fuel mass across the board. I'm not getting any codes or anything.
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2024, 08:24 PM   #19
B58 _gran_coupe_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Make sure you get a high psi smoke tester. You won't see any smoke on tight leaks with those 1psi machines.
That's disappointing. I bought a kit from Amazon and it plugs into the compressor and runs off a 12v.

It's fun to use but it's definitely not a high pressure one
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 08:32 PM   #20
sigterm2.0
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Dang... yeah mine started before the CAI... I don't mind tuning the car myself, but I would at least like to start with a good base map instead of having to start from scratch. The OTS maps are locked from editing in BM3...

...guess I'll have to start from a stock tune...

...side note, could it be bad gas? The place I get gas from here has E30 (93 octane) at the pump... could it cause that big of a lean condition?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 08:36 PM   #21
B58 _gran_coupe_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigterm2.0 View Post
Dang... yeah mine started before the CAI... I don't mind tuning the car myself, but I would at least like to start with a good base map instead of having to start from scratch. The OTS maps are locked from editing in BM3...

...guess I'll have to start from a stock tune...

...side note, could it be bad gas? The place I get gas from here has E30 (93 octane) at the pump... could it cause that big of a lean condition?
Not sure really I'm kind of backwards with this sort of thing. I'm guessing fuel quality would have quite an impact though
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2024, 08:38 PM   #22
B58 _gran_coupe_
Lieutenant
Rep

Not sure how to get better smoke it's pretty weak business
Attached Images

Appreciate 0