03-04-2024, 06:43 PM   #1
JCoR
Private
Rep
Drives: 24 M2, 21 Silverado

Garage List
2024 M2  [10.00]
MP HAS Dealer install prices

For those of you that had MP HAS installed at the dealer, after taking delivery of you car, what did you pay? I picked my car up off the lot so didn't get a chance to order with MP HAS port installed. I just checked with my local dealer and they want $7,660.00 ($2,020 for the HAS and $5,640.00 for labor). I about pissed myself as I thought I've seen others in the say they paid in the $3,600 range. I'm mainly interested in keeping warranty on the suspension but at this price I'm starting to reconsider.
Appreciate 1
AZG871030.00
      03-04-2024, 06:49 PM   #2
AZG87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87, 2018 Mustang GT traded in

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCoR View Post
For those of you that had MP HAS installed at the dealer, after taking delivery of you car, what did you pay? I picked my car up off the lot so didn't get a chance to order with MP HAS port installed. I just checked with my local dealer and they want $7,660.00 ($2,020 for the HAS and $5,640.00 for labor). I about pissed myself as I thought I've seen others in the say they paid in the $3,600 range. I'm mainly interested in keeping warranty on the suspension but at this price I'm starting to reconsider.
That's crazy. 2850ish port installed but I thought people were getting it at the dealership at just a tad over that.
Appreciate 3
chris7197392.00
Ronin76872.00
JCoR181.50
      03-04-2024, 08:20 PM   #3
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZG87 View Post
That's crazy. 2850ish port installed but I thought people were getting it at the dealership at just a tad over that.

I think they are about $1,870 plus tax and shipping plus ~6-8 hours shop time for install (not necessarily how long it takes but how they bill it). Then you have the cost of the alignment.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 08:24 PM   #4
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

For that price you can buy real coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 08:33 PM   #5
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
For that price you can buy real coilovers.

True but there is an obvious pricing difference with coils that some may not like/want. Just saying...

With the BMW price (installed by dealership) it is under warranty and wont cause any warranty issues on other suspension parts. Not saying that its worth the ridiculous price they will charge but again, just saying..

That being said, thats why $2,820 for HAS port installed that is on your window sticker and under full warranty is really a good deal.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 08:38 PM   #6
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
True but there is an obvious pricing difference with coils that some may not like/want. Just saying...

With the BMW price (installed by dealership) it is under warranty and wont cause any warranty issues on other suspension parts. Not saying that its worth the ridiculous price they will charge but again, just saying..

That being said, thats why $2,820 for HAS port installed that is on your window sticker and under full warranty is really a good deal.
Suspension is kind of wear item anyway though? I've not really seen anyone need suspension work under warranty on the forums in a very long time except bad shocks/struts which obviously would be the part you replace.

I agree the port installed cost is pretty good.
Appreciate 2
JCoR181.50
M2siast5996.00
      03-04-2024, 08:39 PM   #7
Ronin76
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tesla Model 3

At that price you might as well take it to an independent shop with a good reputation and have them install it. No way I am paying that just for the warranty.
Appreciate 4
JCoR181.50
chris7197392.00
Tag18453.00
M2siast5996.00
      03-04-2024, 09:45 PM   #8
JCoR
Private
Rep

Garage List
2024 M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin76 View Post
At that price you might as well take it to an independent shop with a good reputation and have them install it. No way I am paying that just for the warranty.
I'm in the process of contacting some local shops to see what they will charge.

I told the BMW SA that the quoted price was 2x what I was seeing online and 2.5x the port install. He said their install labor was based on $255/hour. So ~22 hours.... I laughed at him and told him I installed the coilovers on my previous STI in about 6 hours by myself. I'm assuming they have enough work and just aren't interested in doing an install.

I was willing to pay a bit more for the warranty chris719 is right with suspension being a wear item. I guess I was more concerned with potential warranty hassles for anything that BMW could try and draw a line to the HAS install.
Appreciate 1
M2siast5996.00
      03-04-2024, 10:34 PM   #9
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Quote:
I think they are about $1,870 plus tax and shipping plus ~6-8 hours shop time for install (not necessarily how long it takes but how they bill it). Then you have the cost of the alignment.
It's $1548 if you buy it from an online parts retailer, and would still carry a warranty if installed yourself. The quote the OP got was ridiculous.

His: '23 M2, Toronto Red Metallic, M highlight interior, carbon fiber interior trim, shadowline, lighting pkg, auto cruise, live cockpit pro.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 11:32 PM   #10
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
It's $1548 if you buy it from an online parts retailer, and would still carry a warranty if installed yourself. The quote the OP got was ridiculous.

Nobody is arguing that the quote is not ridiculous.

If you purchased the HAS from an aftermarket vendor, the part may carry a warranty but not a warranty on the car and suspension related matters that could be attributed to the HAS.

This warranty issue and its coverage has been discussed ad nauseam and even been confirmed by multiple BMW employees on this forum.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 07:24 AM   #11
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i, M2

I agree with Rob. This topic has been discussed from every angle and there exists, in this forum, an abundance of information to make a port or aftermarket installed decision. Mine was port without regret.

I’m a lifelong penny wise/dollar foolish guy.

YMMV
Appreciate 2
AZG871030.00
baron951753.00
      03-05-2024, 09:34 AM   #12
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Quote:
Nobody is arguing that the quote is not ridiculous.

If you purchased the HAS from an aftermarket vendor, the part may carry a warranty but not a warranty on the car and suspension related matters that could be attributed to the HAS.

This warranty issue and its coverage has been discussed ad nauseam and even been confirmed by multiple BMW employees on this forum.
You can purchase from a BMW dealer for the price I quoted, and the parts carry the BMW warranty. If installed correctly by you or anyone else, there is no issue with the vehicle warranty - yes that's been discussed ad nauseam. But people are free to pay ridiculous prices to have dealers install a part
Appreciate 1
M2siast5996.00
      03-05-2024, 09:40 AM   #13
Carefree
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i, M2

I’m unclear why some posters are so emphatic questioning what others choose to pay for parts and/or services but continue their own personal crusade, offering yet more warmed over advice, on the issue.

Someone ‘splain that to me.
Appreciate 1
M2siast5996.00
      03-05-2024, 09:44 AM   #14
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
You can purchase from a BMW dealer for the price I quoted, and the parts carry the BMW warranty. If installed correctly by you or anyone else, there is no issue with the vehicle warranty - yes that's been discussed ad nauseam. But people are free to pay ridiculous prices to have dealers install a part

You are clueless...its not worth my time. You obviously know more than everyone and we shall all bow to you.

Aren't you missed on the Vette forums?

Bye bye...
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 12:07 PM   #15
JCoR
Private
Rep

Garage List
2024 M2  [10.00]
Thanks for the replies. And, sorry, I didn't intend for this to become a Magnuson Moss discussion, as there are countless threads here and in all previous car forums I've been a part of. Rather I was just trying to get a better idea of various dealer install costs from those who had first hand experience. If I had ordered my car I would have done port install. But sadly that wasn't an option in my case.

I've installed suspension on all of my previous cars so self install isn't an issue other than time. And I was hoping to have it done at a dealer to avoid any potential warranty hassles.

On a separate note I did hear back from another local dealer (a little further from my house) and they quoted closer to $4K (parts and labor).
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 03:13 PM   #16
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. And, sorry, I didn't intend for this to become a Magnuson Moss discussion, as there are countless threads here and in all previous car forums I've been a part of. Rather I was just trying to get a better idea of various dealer install costs from those who had first hand experience. If I had ordered my car I would have done port install. But sadly that wasn't an option in my case.

I've installed suspension on all of my previous cars so self install isn't an issue other than time. And I was hoping to have it done at a dealer to avoid any potential warranty hassles.

On a separate note I did hear back from another local dealer (a little further from my house) and they quoted closer to $4K (parts and labor).
If your goal is to have it have it installed by a dealership then it's best to reach out to multiple ones and get quotes from them all. I like getting quotes from at least three or more. If you want to save a few bucks you can tell them you already have the kit and just want it installed. Some won't install it unless purchased through them, but many other dealerships won't have an issue with that.
Appreciate 1
JCoR181.50
      03-08-2024, 04:17 PM   #17
JCoR
Private
Rep

Garage List
2024 M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
If your goal is to have it have it installed by a dealership then it's best to reach out to multiple ones and get quotes from them all. I like getting quotes from at least three or more. If you want to save a few bucks you can tell them you already have the kit and just want it installed. Some won't install it unless purchased through them, but many other dealerships won't have an issue with that.
Thanks. I reached out to three dealerships near me- $ 7.6K, $4K and no response (calls and email). I said screw it, driving up to EAS next week and having them install KW HAS at a fraction of the cost.
Appreciate 2
Tag18453.00
ourlee932.00
      03-08-2024, 04:19 PM   #18
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Hey so this is a sore subject for me. I had an experience like yours.

I ordered the MP HAS and a bunch of carbon fiber m performance stuff as well as a few inferior goodies from IND during their July 4th sale last year, about a week or so before I took delivery of the car.

My plan was to bring it in for break in service and have the dealer install everything so I could get all the parts covered by the warranty.

I brought the car in for the break in service with all of the parts in the car, receipts showing they were all OEM parts and my dealer agreed to install everything.

They called me back later that day and said install would be $5600 and it was 24.1 labor hours. I know from the internal install instructions, they call for 8.1 labor hours for the HAS. I emailed it to them and told them their pricing was absurd. They were calling for 24.1 labor hours. Ultimately I picked the car up still full of parts.

When I went to the dealer to pick the car up I let them have it. Basically told them I'm the guy who always hands over my credit card without issue, but this is the last time they'll ever get a dollar from me. I ended up walking my advisor through all of the issues I had with the dealership before I left.

The GM of the dealership overheard our conversation unbeknownst to me.

About 2 minutes after I left my advisor was calling me and he asked if I could come back.

The GM called me into his office, let me know he overheard everything and was profusely apologetic for my experience with their dealership. They don't have many customers dropping $22k in 1 year on service. Explained he was new, had fired all the previous staff, and was working to build better relationships with customers.

He agreed the pricing was ridiculous. I suggested I could have my girlfriend watch a YouTube video and do the install in less than a day, it's insane to suggest a trained BMW tech needs 24.1 labor hours, so over 3 full working days, to install some carbon fiber and swap springs.

We agreed on $2,500 for the whole job, and they'd have it done in one day.

The installed the OEM CF air ducts, spoiler, diffuser, side sills, door projectors, heritage badges, and I think there is something forgetting. They also swapped tires and TPMS from my stock wheels to my 827Ms, for $240.

These guys know what they're doing. Don't be afraid to speak up and let them know it's dumb as hell.

Good luck!
Appreciate 3
JCoR181.50
Ronin76872.00
wjones14676.00
      03-08-2024, 06:33 PM   #19
JCoR
Private
Rep

Garage List
2024 M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rons e92 View Post
Hey so this is a sore subject for me. I had an experience like yours.

I ordered the MP HAS and a bunch of carbon fiber m performance stuff as well as a few inferior goodies from IND during their July 4th sale last year, about a week or so before I took delivery of the car.

My plan was to bring it in for break in service and have the dealer install everything so I could get all the parts covered by the warranty.

I brought the car in for the break in service with all of the parts in the car, receipts showing they were all OEM parts and my dealer agreed to install everything.

They called me back later that day and said install would be $5600 and it was 24.1 labor hours. I know from the internal install instructions, they call for 8.1 labor hours for the HAS. I emailed it to them and told them their pricing was absurd. They were calling for 24.1 labor hours. Ultimately I picked the car up still full of parts.

When I went to the dealer to pick the car up I let them have it. Basically told them I'm the guy who always hands over my credit card without issue, but this is the last time they'll ever get a dollar from me. I ended up walking my advisor through all of the issues I had with the dealership before I left.

The GM of the dealership overheard our conversation unbeknownst to me.

About 2 minutes after I left my advisor was calling me and he asked if I could come back.

The GM called me into his office, let me know he overheard everything and was profusely apologetic for my experience with their dealership. They don't have many customers dropping $22k in 1 year on service. Explained he was new, had fired all the previous staff, and was working to build better relationships with customers.

He agreed the pricing was ridiculous. I suggested I could have my girlfriend watch a YouTube video and do the install in less than a day, it's insane to suggest a trained BMW tech needs 24.1 labor hours, so over 3 full working days, to install some carbon fiber and swap springs.

We agreed on $2,500 for the whole job, and they'd have it done in one day.

The installed the OEM CF air ducts, spoiler, diffuser, side sills, door projectors, heritage badges, and I think there is something forgetting. They also swapped tires and TPMS from my stock wheels to my 827Ms, for $240.

These guys know what they're doing. Don't be afraid to speak up and let them know it's dumb as hell.

Good luck!
Yep, very similar situation. I told the SA the price was outrageous and that he was quoting 22 hours to install HAS. His response was "that's for front and rear as the springs have to come out of the struts" I'm going in on Monday to get my 1200 mile and I'm hoping to get further clarification on how they came up with 22 hours when instructions says 8.1.

On the plus side I'll now have some money for extra goodies.
Appreciate 1
rons e921439.50
      03-08-2024, 07:02 PM   #20
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Yep, very similar situation. I told the SA the price was outrageous and that he was quoting 22 hours to install HAS. His response was "that's for front and rear as the springs have to come out of the struts"
That's when my inside voice would be like, no shit stup!d f#ck.

Quote:
I'm going in on Monday to get my 1200 mile and I'm hoping to get further clarification on how they came up with 22 hours when instructions says 8.1.
Save yourself the time, they pulled that number straight out of their
Appreciate 1
JCoR181.50
      03-09-2024, 02:46 PM   #21
JABCAT
Professor
Rep

Quote:
You are clueless...its not worth my time. You obviously know more than everyone and we shall all bow to you.

Aren't you missed on the Vette forums?

Bye bye...
Clueless about what junior?

$1,548 + shipping charges. Not sure why trying to prevent another owner from paying too much for parts is so frowned upon by so many around here. And straight from BMW (you're free to look it up on your own) all BMW parts carry a 24-month, unlimited miles warranty, even if installed by the end user.

So, like I said, if installed correctly, there will be no warranty issues. Also as I mentioned people are free to pay mark up on parts & labor if they so choose.
Attached Images

His: '23 M2, Toronto Red Metallic, M highlight interior, carbon fiber interior trim, shadowline, lighting pkg, auto cruise, live cockpit pro.

Last edited by JABCAT; 03-09-2024 at 02:59 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2024, 03:21 PM   #22
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Clueless about what junior?

$1,548 + shipping charges. Not sure why trying to prevent another owner from paying too much for parts is so frowned upon by so many around here. And straight from BMW (you're free to look it up on your own) all BMW parts carry a 24-month, unlimited miles warranty, even if installed by the end user.

So, like I said, if installed correctly, there will be no warranty issues. Also as I mentioned people are free to pay mark up on parts & labor if they so choose.

Yup, you are still clueless (but of course and as I said, the world leader on the best info and knowledge)...dbag.

I dont know how these boards ever survived without you.
Appreciate 0