E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > School me on Headlights

06-01-2024, 02:06 PM   #1
Scubudo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335D

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
School me on Headlights

I have a 20011 e90 335D with yellowing lenses and brows. Per my understanding, the lights on my vehicle are bi-xenon adaptive and use the internal lamp as a turning light.

I was planning to pull them apart, install LED angel eyes, and replace the lenses. I was also toying with the idea of customizing them by adding a second projector. To avoid being rushed or risk running into a snafu that would leave my vehicle out of service, I was going to get some used headlights to refurbish.

So far, my quest for what I initially thought would be a fairly straightforward project has instead made my head spin.

On eBay, it looks like a pair of headlights in good condition will run in the neighborhood of $600 - $800/pair. Meanwhile, a trashed unit that (IMO is beyond repair) will set me back anywhere from $150 -$350 per light.

Given the cost of new OEM assemblies, I can understand why a good usable set would demand such a price, why would a headlamp assembly that is cracked to the point that there is no guarantee that all of the internal components are even salvageable still so valuable?

I have also noticed that some assemblies(like on my vehicle) use the inboard lamp as a turning light, while others look essentially the same other than they already have an inboard projector.
Was there an option for dual projectors?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2024, 03:10 PM   #2
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

You have to bake the headlights in order to loosen the glue in order to change the lenses. You might want to use a headlight refinish kit to eliminate the yellowing and add a LUX bulb for white bulbs. I don't recommend buying off eBay, it's just not quality parts and you'll end up buying twice.
      06-01-2024, 09:00 PM   #3
Scubudo
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
I have tried multiple refinishing kits, but the yellow comes back in less than a year and still won't address the yellow brows.

Furthermore (and unfortunately), the E90 lights are sealed with a Permatex type glue rather than Butyl rubber. Consequently, getting them open the 1st time is a PIA.

To be honest, had I realized what a PIA there were to open, I may have passed, but I ordered the lenses, butyl rubber, and angel eyes before actually tearing one of them apart.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2024, 06:47 AM   #4
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

You need to seal the headlight after refinishing, that's why it oxidizes again.
      06-02-2024, 07:41 AM   #5
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

They need to be pulled apart. The brow inside is still yellowed and they tend to get micro cracks in the lenses. I have a pair I’d sell cheap if interested
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2024, 02:43 PM   #6
Scubudo
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Re: "You need to seal the headlight after refinishing, that's why it oxidizes again".

I have tried Mequires, Ceramic, and Mothers. They all claim to have a sealant, but since none have lasted. I have seen some claim that they just need to be clear-coated (which I have yet to try).
Since the brows are now yellowing, I planned to paint them.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2024, 02:46 PM   #7
Scubudo
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Re: "I have a pair I’d sell cheap if interested."

Yes, I would be interested.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2024, 08:32 AM   #8
Tanro
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

Those sealants in the kits are designed to only last a short time.

They want you keep buying them, or keep returning to shop that sold you on the service.

2k clear (spray max with activator) will last at least 5 years maybe longer. Use a respirator to spray any 2k paint.

1k clear might get you a year or two and while be more work to refinish later
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2024, 09:39 AM   #9
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubudo View Post
Re: "You need to seal the headlight after refinishing, that's why it oxidizes again".

I have tried Mequires, Ceramic, and Mothers. They all claim to have a sealant, but since none have lasted. I have seen some claim that they just need to be clear-coated (which I have yet to try).
Since the brows are now yellowing, I planned to paint them.
Those kits will last about 18 months unless you spray them with a UV Sealant, you can buy a can at Home Depot, Lowes or hardware store.
      06-04-2024, 09:24 PM   #10
Scubudo
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]

As I explained in my initial post, there appear to be 2 nearly identical Xenon headlights for the LCI E90.

I have seen several posts that claim that in regards to BMW E90s the terms Xenon and Bi-Xenon are essentially interchangeable. However, I recently noticed that there appear to be 2 nearly identical versions of Xenon headlights for the LCI E90 (and have found both referred to as Xenon and Bi-Xenon).
So now, I am confused as to how they differ. The second version is what is currently on my vehicle and the inboard lamp serves as a turning light.

As for the 1st picture where there appear to be 2 separate projectors. Does the inboard projector actually do anything (or is it just for looks)?
I suppose it could have a halogen bulb for brights, and Xenon for lows (in which case it is not Bi-Xenon where as the 1st one is?

Anyway, rather than speculate I was hoping someone might know for sure how the 2 versions differ as far as performance and whether both versions are AFI.

If not, what are the differences from a performance aspect?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2024, 12:10 PM   #11
Scubudo
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Wow...I am surprised that no one has been able to tell me what the difference is between the headlight version with inboard projector vs inboard turning.

Is the 2nd projector Xenon, dummy, or Halogen? If it is halogen, is the outboard a Xenon low beam only?

...and overall does one version do a better job at illuminating the road than the other?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2024, 03:36 PM   #12
bmw335ie90
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubudo View Post
Wow...I am surprised that no one has been able to tell me what the difference is between the headlight version with inboard projector vs inboard turning.

Is the 2nd projector Xenon, dummy, or Halogen? If it is halogen, is the outboard a Xenon low beam only?

...and overall does one version do a better job at illuminating the road than the other?
The top one with the black inner is european non-adaptive xenon. There are servo motors for automatic vertical aiming but none for the left/right swivel as you turn you wheel. The black inner thing is a dummy projector that does nothing.

The bottom are adaptive xenon, all US models with xenons have these lights. The one with the black inners do not exist in the US standard. Adaptive headlights have servo motors for veritcal as well as left right. The projector sits in a gimbal to allow it to swivel and jiggles a lot when you hit bumps, its a poor design IMO. The inner H3 bulb also illuminate when turning and acts as a flood light of sorts to light up the foreground and you turn.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2024, 08:44 AM   #13
Scubudo
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Thank you for your reply.
Strangely, I have found both on eBay and both are also offered by some of the online euro auto part sites.
It does seem strange that BMW would have gone through the trouble of designing 2 separate lights that have such a similar appearance. One would also think that the version that non-adaptive version (which lacks the left/right swivel) wouldn't have received the turning light feature.
Appreciate 0