E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) > Ceramic Coating - Warning - Ceramic Pro - Buyer Beware

06-19-2024, 05:30 PM   #1
ToddRGuy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A5, 2025 BMW 540 -Ordered

Garage List
Ceramic Coating - Warning - Ceramic Pro - Buyer Beware

Hi Folks,

Just a cautionary warning regarding the installation of Ceramic Pro products on your current or future vehicles.

I had Ceramic Pro Coating and PPF installed on my Audi in 2023 in California, prior to returning to Ohio. It's been less than a year since this occurred and I started to notice some PPF related issues on my car. Some edges were coming up, and the product had become almost opaque in various areas on the bumper.

As I am now 2,000+ miles away from my "Certified" Ceramic Pro installer, I reached out to the company with a warranty claim evaluation and here's where it got interesting.

They asked me to provide "proof" that I had their products installed as they had no record of my installation in their system. I sent them photos of my installation books, the basic information that the installer had written in the books, and a credit card statement.

After nearly two weeks, Ceramic Pro responded:
  • The Certified Installer did not register your product with our company and your VIN.
  • The Certified Installer did not adequately document the installation in our warranty booklet
  • The Certified Installer did not provide a sufficient itemized invoice for warranty registration or claims.

Additionally, they stated that the deformations I witnessed were likely a result of bad installation techniques. They suggested I visit the installer 2,400 miles away to get it squared away. Oh, and you have no warranty.

So, now I'm responsible for the fact that their Certified Installer didn't follow their company's policy and procedures for registering the product, filling out the documentation to their standard, or providing an itemized invoice.

Never mind, the fact that their products are sent to installers conditionally. Clearly, vehicle registration and warranty processes are not part of the process needed to be "certified".

I wanted to let you all know about my experience, so that you could guard yourself against such a lack of accountability. I was considering having Ceramic Pro products installed on my ordered BMW, but I will NEVER again consider them for any future vehicle.
Appreciate 8
deutsch1004742.00
dubb13310.00
Sisyrx269.50
Bupkus196.00
Wolf 3352507.50
      06-22-2024, 06:34 AM   #2
kssod
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 540 Xdrive

If you are in Ohio, there is no detailer better than Esoteric Car Care in New Albany.
Appreciate 3
ToddRGuy1502.50
Charles B100.50
Kstoff125313.00
      06-22-2024, 07:16 AM   #3
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

If they're not willing to honor the warranty or provide any support, hit them with a credit card charge back. The dealer/installer not filing the documentation is not your problem.
Appreciate 1
tcphoto3968.50
      06-22-2024, 08:45 AM   #4
BigHunk
///M
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M , iX , S1000XR

You can make a claim onto installer business insurance.
Contact your insurance, they send estimator for issues you're having, and then they file claim onto installer insurance.
Hopefully you have documentation for work done.

Last edited by BigHunk; 07-14-2024 at 11:28 AM..
Appreciate 3
ToddRGuy1502.50
tcphoto3968.50
///MPhatic14932.50
      06-22-2024, 11:12 AM   #5
Pheonix
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
The installer definitely dropped the ball on this one on top of a shitty installation! Ceramic Pro should have stepped in and provide warranty.
Like mentioned above, I would go with Credit Card charge back and let the credit company deal with the installer. Most credit card companies are pretty good if you had everything well documented.
Good luck.
Appreciate 1
ToddRGuy1502.50
      06-22-2024, 12:06 PM   #6
eliphil
Captain
Rep
Drives: M550I

I would threaten lawsuit see if u can get to upper mangement
Appreciate 2
ToddRGuy1502.50
tcphoto3968.50
      06-22-2024, 02:39 PM   #7
MADBMWX5MC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

That's a crazy story. I may have missed it, but did you contact the installer and if so, what did he say?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2024, 06:00 PM   #8
eliphil
Captain
Rep

It’s is crazy, I would threaten the installer and ceramic pro with bad press and legal action. That usually grabs their attention. I didn’t even know ceramic pro made PPF. I used their coating in 19 for my weekend warrior and it was pretty good. They also make a great silica spray called reload which is good for touch ups.
Appreciate 1
ToddRGuy1502.50
      06-28-2024, 01:09 PM   #9
Dan B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i xDrive Gran Coupe

Devils advocate:

You are a random person filing a warranty claim and they have no record of you purchasing their product.

They direct you to contact the person who allegedly installed the PPF. I say allegedly because they have no proof and people lie.

maybe the installer lied about being certified and assumed there wouldn't be any issues.

Contacting the installer is the correct 1st step. He failed to follow through and was supposed to submit the registration.

If he is a certified installer on good terms with the manufacturer, they might let him file a backdated warranty registration.

If he is a stand up guy then maybe he contracts with a local shop to take care of you.
Appreciate 2
tcphoto3968.50
Kstoff125313.00
      06-28-2024, 05:07 PM   #10
ToddRGuy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B View Post
Devils advocate:

You are a random person filing a warranty claim and they have no record of you purchasing their product.

They direct you to contact the person who allegedly installed the PPF. I say allegedly because they have no proof and people lie.

maybe the installer lied about being certified and assumed there wouldn't be any issues.

Contacting the installer is the correct 1st step. He failed to follow through and was supposed to submit the registration.

If he is a certified installer on good terms with the manufacturer, they might let him file a backdated warranty registration.

If he is a stand up guy then maybe he contracts with a local shop to take care of you.
A reasonable assertion, truly. The installer is linked to their website, though, so he's definitely certified. Will respond with an update, in a follow up.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2024, 05:12 PM   #11
Dan B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i xDrive Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddRGuy View Post
A reasonable assertion, truly. The installer is linked to their website, though, so he's definitely certified. Will respond with an update, in a follow up.
I hope it works out!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2024, 05:14 PM   #12
ToddRGuy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Update:

Thanks everyone for the advice. Ceramic Pro was not cooperative, however, after a filing with the California Attorney General's Office and the Better Business Bureau, they decided perhaps they should take a second look at their decision.

They agreed to honor their warranty and have reached out to the installer to request that he register the vehicle. I was finally able to get in contact with the original installer. Their website is no longer valid, but I was able to contact him via Yelp, which is where I made my initial contact with him, by unarchiving my old project.

I explained to him about the integrity issues. If I was still in California, he would redo it. Since I've relocated, he immediately offered for me to go to a Ceramic Pro installer in Ohio, and have the bumper redone. He has stated he will reimburse me for the cost of the reinstallation. Good guy, and good businessman. He stated he doesn't want those filings against him ..ever.

I really wish I wouldn't have had to push so hard, for Ceramic Pro to get behind their warranty and get them to offer what I consider to be good customer service, without "chats" from the California AG or BBB.
Appreciate 5
eliphil2589.50
///MPhatic14932.50
Wolf 3352507.50
      06-28-2024, 10:21 PM   #13
eliphil
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddRGuy View Post
Update:

Thanks everyone for the advice. Ceramic Pro was not cooperative, however, after a filing with the California Attorney General's Office and the Better Business Bureau, they decided perhaps they should take a second look at their decision.

They agreed to honor their warranty and have reached out to the installer to request that he register the vehicle. I was finally able to get in contact with the original installer. Their website is no longer valid, but I was able to contact him via Yelp, which is where I made my initial contact with him, by unarchiving my old project.

I explained to him about the integrity issues. If I was still in California, he would redo it. Since I've relocated, he immediately offered for me to go to a Ceramic Pro installer in Ohio, and have the bumper redone. He has stated he will reimburse me for the cost of the reinstallation. Good guy, and good businessman. He stated he doesn't want those filings against him ..ever.

I really wish I wouldn't have had to push so hard, for Ceramic Pro to get behind their warranty and get them to offer what I consider to be good customer service, without "chats" from the California AG or BBB.
Glad it worked out will stay away from ceramic pro products
Appreciate 1
ToddRGuy1502.50
      06-29-2024, 07:03 AM   #14
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I wouldn't feel bad about pushing them, how were you to know the installer did a poor job and failed to register the job? Ultimately, it will be done right and sometimes you have to apply a little pressure to make it right.
      07-01-2024, 02:33 AM   #15
iMakeTea
Rep
Drives: 535i

Glad your situation got a solution thru reputable installer. Ceramic pro sounds uncooperative. They didn't even offer to reach out to supposed installer to verify your claims. You had to do it for them.

Terrible timing for me. I found this thread 3 days after getting my car back from ceramic pro and paint restoration at a local detailer.

Theres reviews saying ceramic pro used to have regular warranty coverage but now push detailers to force customers have yearly $300 upkeep services to qualify warranty coverage.
Appreciate 1
ToddRGuy1502.50
      07-01-2024, 11:30 PM   #16
IcewaterPete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F33 M Sport, 2021 M2C 6MT

I’d be super careful about the installer’s promise to pay.

I’d have him pay the Ohio installer upfront, verify in writing from the Ohio installer he has been paid in full, verify in writing the exact specs of the work and then schedule an appointment.
Appreciate 4
ToddRGuy1502.50