E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > 2 ohm or 4 ohm

07-15-2024, 09:22 PM   #1
uglypedro
Rep
Drives: 04 g35, 11 328i

2 ohm or 4 ohm

Built a handful of nice systems over the years, mostly active systems using a 4 channel amp and a dsp with a sub that had its own amp. No reason not to use 4 ohm speakers.

Until now with this nightmare BMW. I love my 328, and when the sound system is finished, I'll love that, too, but getting there is really taxing my knowledge. Lack of space (convertible) only adds to my issues.

Started with a HiFi, replaced the front mids and tweeter with Morel's Hybrid set up. Big improvement. Bought one of Technics harnesses for adding an amp. Was going to use an Alpine PDX I have. Planning on leaving the rear speaker alone. Here's were my trouble is: It's a 4 amp, channel 1 goings to right door, channel 2 goes to left door. That leaves channels 3 and 4 for the underseat 8" woofers (was going to stick with Morels) Running channel 3 to right underseat and channel 4 to the other underpowers them. However, running the 3rd channel (+) to the (L) underseat and the (-) to the (R) underseat and the 4th channel (+) to the (R) underseat and the (-) to the (L) underseat greatly increases power to both as long as they're 2 ohm speakers (the Morels 8" come in both 4 ohm and 2 ohm).

I know there's a name for this but even with my 20 y/o copy of the Car Stereo CookBook, I'm still confused. Is my above description close? Can the Alpine APX run 4 ohm and 2 ohm at the same time.

Or should I just go with lower rated speakers to go with the power coming out of the amp?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2024, 11:19 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Did you download the Amp Manual?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2024, 12:50 AM   #3
uglypedro
Rep

I'm about to

thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2024, 04:38 AM   #4
uglypedro
Rep

Not helpful

the manual, that is. Very confusing.

In the mean time, the new Morel speakers are 4 ohm while the OEM underseat 8" speakers are 2 ohm, right? Don't amps like either 2 OR 4 ohm speakers? Right now the OEM amp is running both. Isn't it damaging to the amp to power the ohm they're not made to run? Running both 2 and 4 at the same time can't be good, either. As long as it's not damaging to the speakers, right? RIGHT?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2024, 12:19 PM   #5
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

No matter what you are running for speakers they will draw different
amounts if they are different types. If you adjust the gain correctly they should be OK . The quality of the amp circuit and it's design will have more to do with it than anything but if you are not slamming the amp I see no problem .

You need about 50 watts RMS per channel or more as a basis for good sound with better speakers .

I have been running Morels in the doors and Jehnert in floors with stock speakers in the rear for 10 years . The rear speakers are stock
and it's a JL600/6 . I have the stock speakers pretty much tuned out with no gain and the fader it has not been a problem .
Can't say that every amp will handle this but the JL 600/6 does. I imagine most of the better ones will .

The stock amp is pretty much crap .

Last edited by ctuna; 07-17-2024 at 11:14 PM..
Appreciate 0