E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Routing Backup Camera for E91?

07-25-2024, 11:33 PM   #1
WMBL
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i, 2009 328i

Routing Backup Camera for E91?

I've searched extensively, but cannot find a post showing how to route backup camera wiring for an E91.

Through the headliner? Or down to the side of the rear seats?

I've found videos and posts for the E90 sedan where the wiring is routed down by the seats. But is that the best approach for the wagon?

I searched YouTube as well and cannot find any videos showing installation of a camera for an E91.

If you have knowledge on these topics, please share!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2024, 08:40 AM   #2
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e81

the closest platform to e91 which had rearview camera is e84 x1
      07-27-2024, 12:10 AM   #3
WMBL
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
the closest platform to e91 which had rearview camera is e84 x1
Thanks, I found some E84 videos that are helpful in navigating the backup camera routing. So far, it looks like the under panel routing is what people are doing.

For an E91, has anyone installed the line through the side of the headliner?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2024, 03:09 PM   #4
dtm_latshaw
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330XI

I have not finished the install yet, but I'm working on an e90. We have pulled plastic covers off the passenger side door treads (probably not the right term..) and have found room there near the existing wiring for our backup camera wire.

In the back seat, 4 door sedan, I was able to use my wire fish tape to get the cable through to the trunk. Pushed it behind the rear seat back and could just see the fish tape after removing the trunk lining on that side.

Could send pics if that doesn't make sense.

EDIT: probably won't help, didn't know an e91 is a wagon. Sorry, new to BMWs!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2024, 03:52 PM   #5
shannon1
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 323i M-Sport

Garage List
I've done mine with the OEM E84 retrofit camera to my R/H drive car here in Australia, but I think your L/H drive wiring route should still be the same. After going through the wiring harness plastic sleeve from the boot hatch into the car on the R/H side, there's a metal channel for the car's wiring harness you start to go follow along until a gap in the R/H side where you thread the harness through and then along under the roof lining about 6" to 1' in from the rear and then down the R/H side pillar between the rear window and rear door (if you've got a longer harness, you could go the long way and pass it back down along the rear most corner pillar and down over the battery). From there, if you're doing the OEM retrofit, you can thread it under the cover over the wheel arch and into the boot well for the video module or if you're going aftermarket, you can thread it over the wheel arch and forward following the OEM harness to the front of the car.

Last edited by shannon1; 07-29-2024 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2024, 04:06 PM   #6
WMBL
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon1 View Post
I've done mine with the OEM E84 retrofit camera to my R/H drive car here in Australia, but I think your L/H drive wiring route should still be the same. After going through the wiring harness plastic sleeve from the boot hatch into the car on the R/H side, there's a metal channel for the car's wiring harness you start to go follow along until a gap in the R/H side where you thread the harness through and then along under the roof lining about 6" to 1' in from the rear and then down the R/H side pillar between the rear window and rear door (if you've got a longer harness, you could go the long way and pass it back down along the rear most corner pillar and down over the battery). From there, if you're doing the OEM retrofit, you can thread it under the cover over the wheel arch and into the boot well for the video module or if you're going aftermarket, you can thread it over the wheel arch and forward following the OEM harness to the front of the car.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2024, 04:09 PM   #7
WMBL
Rep

Has anyone here used one of these AliExpress E90 boot handles with integrated camera for an E91? I tried to fit it, but the back of the unit seems too tall to fit in the appropriate area of the E91's hatch. I ended up breaking the unit trying to force it upward to be flush with the panel--it is too tall.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/22558...yAdapt=glo2usa

I'm wondering if it will fit if I disassemble another one to reduce the height or if I install it a different way.

I installed again the OEM boot release for now.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2024, 03:16 PM   #8
Captain Buumer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325D

I have some experience with the aliexpress units.

Infact two of them.

1st one: It was aiming perfect as i could see my hitch also (was pointing more towards the ground). But it did not have any weatherproofing thus after first winter PCB just corroded.
This one fitted nicely as it was smaller. Should have added some silicone on the PCB (like the 2nd one has).
This was very cheap (about 25$)

2nd one. It was aiming slightly higher, i could not see hitch. It had weatherproofing and i broke the plastic tower when fitting it.
I glued it back with some silicone and am using it since. Also the quality of camera image is better compared to 1st one.
This one was about 45$

It was tricky to fit them but just use some silicone to help sliding it into opening.
I'm using android auto unit to control it to the OEM screen and it works 100%. Very nice upgrade.
There are also license plate options but i find them odd looking.

Last edited by Captain Buumer; 07-31-2024 at 03:21 PM..
Appreciate 0