E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > vanos or O2 sensor?

07-29-2024, 12:04 PM   #1
c131frdave
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

vanos or O2 sensor?

I made the mistake of storing my 335i for several years, and have all sorts of problems. I sent it to a repair shop and they couldn't get it to run, so I pulled the ECU and found out it was damaged. I also found out at least one of my fuel injectors were bad.

So far I've cloned a "new" ECU from Boost Monkey and that solved my ECU problem. I replaced my fuel injectors and that solved that problem.

However, now the car runs good when cold, but when I drive it a bit it starts to run rough. My first thought is 02 sensors, but I noticed the turbos are sort of spooling up, then it feels like the waste gate opens completely for a second or two, the they spool up again, then not, etc. It ran very well for about 15 minutes after I first started the car after replacing the ECU and injectors.

So, what do you think? Are my vanos solenoids bad, or is it my 02 sensors? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2024, 12:07 PM   #2
c131frdave
Enlisted Member
Rep

Oh, I forgot to mention- the car hasn't thrown any codes! Whatever it is, the ECU thinks it's normal.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2024, 02:51 PM   #3
suspect
.******.
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by c131frdave View Post
Oh, I forgot to mention- the car hasn't thrown any codes! Whatever it is, the ECU thinks it's normal.
Did you code the injectors? What’s your hpfp/rail pressure? Fuel trims or AFRs?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2024, 03:11 PM   #4
c131frdave
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspect View Post
Did you code the injectors? What’s your hpfp/rail pressure? Fuel trims or AFRs?
I did code the injectors, yes. I don't know what the fuel pressures are. Nor Air fuel ratio or trims. I purchased ProTool so I could code the injectors, but I don't know yet how to use the software beyond that.
Appreciate 0