Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > What do I do with these wheels?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

08-05-2024, 04:34 PM   #1
rothwem
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Wagon

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [10.00]
What do I do with these wheels?

I bought a set of OEM wheels off of craigslist about a year ago, two of them were pretty dinged up, but I found someone to straighten them out and repaint for a couple hundred bucks. They look fantastic. However, I put them with on with new tires and I've struggled with vibrations on my car since.

I've bitched to the tire shop and had the wheels rebalanced a couple times and they always have trouble with two of the wheels. I figured that I had a couple defective tires, or maybe the vibration was from somewhere else in the driveline. I finally paid for my BMW Indy to balance the tires, and he told me that two of the wheels were "out of round". Not bent, but when he put the tires on a balancer and spun it with a feeler gauge on it they were significantly out with a hop. You can't see it with your eyes when they're not moving, but you sure can when its spinning and its enough to cause a vibration.

Anyways, I was lucky enough to find two matching OEM wheels on craigslist that hadn't been molested (these are style 327's btw) and I had the tire shop swap the tires over to the new wheels.

Wala (yes I know its spelled wrong) the vibration is gone. *sigh*

But now I have two gorgeous wheels that aren't round sitting in my garage. What the hell do I do with these things? I've considered bitching at the place that refinished them, but its been a year and my guess is that they're going to tell me to pound sand. Can an "out of round wheel" be repaired? What is the scrap value like on a cast wheel?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2024, 05:25 PM   #2
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

I'd go back to the place that 'fixed' them with paperwork showing they're still out of round. Call the tireshop and have them amend the initial invoice if necessary so you have some ammo.

Threaten a bad review if they aren't willing to work with you. At the end of the day they still may say to pound sand but at least this gives them a chance to do the right thing as it's possible they're good people and genuinely didnt know.

If they tell you to pound sand, take your business elsewhere and have them fixed OR sell them as-is and maybe someone (or 2 people) would like to have them as spares.
Appreciate 0