E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > NBT Retrofit in E63 with Logic7

08-23-2024, 04:00 AM   #1
crosstherubicon
Registered
Rep
Drives: E63

NBT Retrofit in E63 with Logic7

Hoping someone can help here.....

I have an E63 with a Logic7 and a failed CCC unit so, I purchased the BimmerrRetrofit box with an NBT head unit (might not have been my best decision). The install has generally gone ok and the NBT powers up, and works as expected with one exception, no sound. I've updated the original, 2004 to 2012 Logic7 because many have said very early units were problematic, no change. I've checked the MOST loop and used bypass loops on the TCU/MULF and the SAT TV unit. I can see red light returning to the NBT on the optical loop so it would appear the MOST loop is intact. Only the NBT, Logic7 and the CD unit in the glove box remain in the optical loop.

I powered the NBT unit with an emulator on the desktop and used a network connection to look at its contents with E-sys. It was already set for TopHiFi (Logic7) and the maps and navigation work correctly for my region with no programming by myself so I assume BimmerRetrofit configured the NBT prior to delivery. However, with the unit in the car and connected up, no sound.

Interestingly, adjusting the volume on the connected faceplate does not show any response on the NBT interface. I can programme and select pre-programmed stations from the faceplate so assume there is electrical connectivity and communication to the faceplate. Similarly the steering wheel volume control is unresponsive. However, since these are digital volume controls, it presumably involves communication with the Logic7 before showing a level and, if it cannot or will not communicate with the Logic7, it would not show any interaction. Similarly I can't specify any of the surround sound options on the NBT display since they also involve communication with the Logic7.

I haven't done any programming on the car, so all of its coding remains as it was for the CCC unit. If anyone has an explanation or guide as to what is causing the problem with no sound (and how to fix it) I'd be hugely grateful. Happy to pay someone if online help is needed.

This is the option list for the car,
S205A Automatic transmission
S217A Active steering
S229A Dynamic Drive
S237A DYNAMIC DRIVE PACKAGE
S255A Sports leather steering wheel
S302A Alarm system
S346A Chrome Line exterieur
S356A Climate comfort laminated glass
S403A Glass roof, electrical
S414A Parcel net, passenger side
S428A Warning triangle and first aid kit
S430A Interior/outside mirror with auto dip
S431A Interior mirror with automatic-dip
S436A Fine wood trim
S441A Smoker package
S442A Drink holder
S459A Seat adjustment, electric, with memory
S481A Sports seat
S494A Seat heating driver/passenger
S502A Headlight cleaning system
S508A Park Distance Control (PDC)
S522A Xenon Light
S524A Adaptive Headlights
S534A Automatic air conditioning
S540A Cruise control
S548A Kilometre speedo
S563A Light package
S594A BMW light alloy wheel,spider spoke 92
S601A TV function
S609A Navigation system Professional
S620A Voice control
S638A Car telephone Professional
S672A CD changer for 6 CDs
S677A HiFi system Professional DSP
S700A Area-Code 4 for DVD
S785A White direction indicator lights
S818A Battery master switch
S823A Hot-climate version
S825A Radio control Oceania
S845A Acoustic fasten seat belt reminder
S853A Language version, English
S864A Dealer List Overseas
S876A Radio frequency 315 MHz
S880A On-board literature, English
S8SAA Navigation access request,country-spec.
S925A Dummy-SALAPA
Appreciate 0