E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Is the N54 prone to crankwalk?

08-30-2024, 11:54 AM   #1
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

Is the N54 prone to crankwalk?

Just busted my 25k miles Golf R engine with a DKM clutch.

Spoke with 7 shops, and 6 of them said this is 100% related to the aggressive clutch, that add extra load on the thust bearing and they fall/fail.

This is a 10k$ (cad) fix... not cheap !

The shop taking care of the car, stating this is common on most audi/vw engine (even V6). However, not much report on forums about this issue !

Since I have a DKM twindisk on the N54, is it something not really discussed? or the N54 is strong af and wont have any issues ?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2024, 05:49 AM   #2
Podunk
Private
Rep
Drives: 335I E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by oVeRdOsE. View Post
Just busted my 25k miles Golf R engine with a DKM clutch.

Spoke with 7 shops, and 6 of them said this is 100% related to the aggressive clutch, that add extra load on the thust bearing and they fall/fail.

This is a 10k$ (cad) fix... not cheap !

The shop taking care of the car, stating this is common on most audi/vw engine (even V6). However, not much report on forums about this issue !

Since I have a DKM twindisk on the N54, is it something not really discussed? or the N54 is strong af and wont have any issues ?
any car you put an aggressive clutch on, your creating a force that pushes on the crank, and will wear out a thrust bearing sooner, one way to combat it is to use a more pressure resistant oil like Motul 300V, or askign engine builders if they have any tricks to create a better oil barrier between the crank counter weight and the thrust bearing.

mostly i don't think it is talked abotu a lot because of the fact high HP engines require more maintenance, and rebuilds sooner then a lightly tuned engine with a factory clutch that can handle it.
Appreciate 1
oVeRdOsE.3313.00