E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Read before replacing door lock actuators!

09-14-2024, 02:14 PM   #1
bmwbob89
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 328XI 04 325XI 740 88 M5

Read before replacing door lock actuators!

My L/F lock actuator was doing a little machine gunning when locking. I finally decided to replace it. Definitely is a bit of a PIA to do. When I was almost done and ready to put the door panel back on I went to plug in the connector to the actuator and it didn't feel right. Pulled it off and found some of the pins had bent. Straightened them out and tried again. Still no joy. Looked and most of the pins were bent. I have poor vision and my wife used to repair PC boards so she straightened them and she looked at the wiring plug. From experience she noticed the end of the plug was very slightly melted from the actuator overheating. She took a pick tool and tweezers and cleaned up the plug. Then it plugged in and worked. I was pretty gentle plugging it in and hope the lock tabs secured it. I didn't want to push my luck since it worked. Time will tell. Take good look at the plug before you mess up the pins like I did. I since picked up a pair of cheater glasses so I can see better.
Appreciate 2