E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 90ah to 95ah Battery Swap

Today, 10:02 AM   #1
bape000
Rep
Drives: 330D MSport

90ah to 95ah Battery Swap

I have swapped my E90 battery from a 90Ah to a 95Ah battery. I was under the assumption that this would not only require a battery registration but also coding however the two tools I have (Bimmercode and the Ancel BM700) do not have a 95Ah option when attempting to re code

After further research I came across a post that says 90/92/95Ah batteries are fairly similar and differences are inconsequential therefore don’t require coding - only a registration.

Can anyone confirm if this is correct?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:56 AM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by bape000 View Post
I have swapped my E90 battery from a 90Ah to a 95Ah battery... the two tools I have (Bimmercode and the Ancel BM700) do not have a 95Ah option when attempting to re code...
It's NOT a matter of what your Scan Tool or Coding Tool can do to CHANGE the Option in CAS. It's a matter of HOW CAS works, & what Options are available.
You are NOT reprogramming CAS, you are simply selecting the closest available option for Battery Capacity.

There is NO available option in CAS between:
1) 90 Ah (conventional FLA battery, NOT AGM)
2) 110 Ah (conventional)

Since 95 Ah is closer to 90 Ah than 110Ah capacity, the setting you WANT is 90Ah (conventional, NOT AGM).

The only thing "Battery Registration" does is enter the Odometer reading in km in a text field so a tech can see what the mileage/km was when the "Battery Registration" button was last pushed. Keeping/recording the RECEIPT will show date battery was purchased & allow you to get refund/ replacement if battery fails during warranty.

Some Scan Tools also CLEAR the Histogram, or Log/History of Battery SoC & SoH, as well as Temperature, since Histogram was last Cleared. Most folks don't know how to find or use that data anyway, so NOT important except to Techs.

INPA will show you the current Battery Capacity Setting, found in DME > PM or Power Management Data, Field #2. Unless you KNOW what that existing setting is, you should CHECK it to see that it is 90 Ah (conventional).

As long as your battery is correct for the Existing Type/Capacity Setting, Registration or Clearing Histogram is Optional -- NOT Necessary. The part of the Histogram that is used by DME to regulate charging (Last 5 days) will be overwritten in next 5 days.
George
Appreciate 1
      Today, 11:58 AM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Attached is ScreenPrint of NCS Dummy Screen showing available CAS Settings, as described in Prior Post.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0