E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > LR Window Down, Won't Raise

Today, 07:54 PM   #1
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

LR Window Down, Won't Raise

2007 328xi E91: Left Rear Window went down by Driver Button, won't raise at all, with either Driver Switch Cluster or LR Door Window Switch. Audible click/whir for ~ 1 second with either button. It worked properly several times in last week, & all other windows work normally.

I've removed Door Trim Panel & cut Seal Perimeter "goo" to remove black seal. I have questions on what to inspect/do next.

Questions:
1) Anyone who can share their understanding of how electric motor drives Regulator & what can cause failure to "Lift" window?

2) Motor & Regulator appear properly mounted & window went down & up several times in last week. It went down yesterday without any abnormal sound, so it either appears "Stuck" in bottom position, or perhaps motor (which makes sound briefly) "gear drive" (however it works) has failed.

3) Anyone suggest a failed part/component?

4) Anyone suggest what to remove (and how) to inspect further. I have both INPA & ISTA, & used ISTA procedure to remove Door Panel. Is Activation (INPA or ISTA) helpful if the Window Switches appear to work?

5) Anyone suggest a way to just Raise the Glass and fix it in place with window UP? I don't need to use the window until I get it properly repaired.

I'll look for info in Bentley & ISTA tonight, but any Help is welcomed.

Thanks,
George
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:11 PM   #2
3PedalJake
Neo-Luddite
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i, 330i 6MT RWD Sport

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [5.25]
It is your window regulator, they drop like flies in these cars. I've replaced 5 out of 8 regulators in my 2 E90's so far. The motor almost never dies, that just gets swapped over to the new regulator.

To get the window up you need to unclip it from the window by pressing the center of the mounting clip, it snaps into a hole in the glass, push it in far enough to clear the hole then lift window off it. You'll need to prop it up with foam inside and/or tape outside to keep it up until you replace regulator.

PN: 51357140589

EDIT: 4 out of 5 of the ones I replaced were rear window regulator. I believe the not being used much, as rear windows aren't they seize up. 2 were obvious, the cable broke off and was dangling in the door frame. 1 was off the track inside the spool and one was just too tight to move freely. If there's no obvious damage like broken cable, with the door panel off reach in and give the window a nudge up, I bet it goes up and will go up and 95% of the way down without problem but will stick all the way down. If it won't move at all it's pinched/kinked inside. Don't bother trying to lube any of it hoping to free it up, it won't it's tight in the spool, just replace the regulator, it's a quick relatively inexpensive job.

Last edited by 3PedalJake; Today at 10:56 PM..
Appreciate 0