E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Need Help To Change Xenon Bulbs

11-27-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
dhl945
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i cpe jet black

Need Help To Change Xenon Bulbs

Has anyone seen a video on how to change the xenon bulbs on a 328 coupe?
I would appreciate some leads and help very much. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 04:09 PM   #2
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

i brought my car to the shop and they did it for me. They took off the bumper and it took around 30 mins with 2 people. I did search for DIY but i couldnt find
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 04:19 PM   #3
Minefield
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Car

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41184
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 04:54 PM   #4
FVM3
Major General
Rep

oh theres DIY thread, i couldnt search it
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 05:15 PM   #5
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
You have a 2011 and your car already has a burnt bulb?

Your car is under the new car warranty and it covered.....unless you got it CPO. Which is kinda rare for a 2011.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 05:24 PM   #6
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Unless he's changing the bulb to a different output
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Unless he's changing the bulb to a illegal, tacky looking different output
Fixed it for you.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 06:12 PM   #8
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
Fixed it for you.
Aesthetics are subjective, and not all other xenon outputs are illegal.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 06:15 PM   #9
cb1111
Rep

Quote:
Aesthetics are subjective, and not all other xenon outputs are illegal.
Anything over about 5k is. Wanna bet he wants to do 6 or 8k?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 06:19 PM   #10
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Though you are probably right, there is no way for anyone to know what output he wants. Perhaps he wants to lower it to change color or put it at 5k? I believe the BMW stock bulbs output at 4100k. So there is room to increase without being illegal.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 08:52 AM   #11
cb1111
Rep

Quote:
Though you are probably right, there is no way for anyone to know what output he wants. Perhaps he wants to lower it to change color or put it at 5k? I believe the BMW stock bulbs output at 4100k. So there is room to increase without being illegal.
The stock bulbs are 4300k and there is virtually no visible difference between that and any other legal bulb.

Since it would make no sense to change to a different legal bulb (we know that no-name bulbs are crappy quality) we can safely assume that he's going for the "blue to purple" Honda Civic look.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 02:46 PM   #12
Hey Ant
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Take off your wheel after you jack it up, pull back your fender liner and you'll have access to the back cover of your head light. Take that off with the torque bits and you can pull out the d1s bulbs from there.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 03:01 PM   #13
FVM3
Major General
Rep

maximum is 6k, please dont go for 8000k or 10000k....feels like JDM civic
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 03:51 PM   #14
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The stock bulbs are 4300k and there is virtually no visible difference between that and any other legal bulb.

Since it would make no sense to change to a different legal bulb (we know that no-name bulbs are crappy quality) we can safely assume that he's going for the "blue to purple" Honda Civic look.
Assume whatever you want to. We all know how you feel about certain modifications, no need to troll every thread with your opinion of them. He asked how to change the bulb, not what bulb to get, if the bulb he gets would look good in your opinion, nor if it was legal. Unless you're the one paying for his car and his potential tickets, I invite you to leave.

And please don't retort citing safety - while I understand it is the law for a reason, I run into far more unsafe drivers who don't turn off their high beams for oncoming traffic or have hopelessly mis-aimed regular beams than I do people running 5k and above - and even when I do properly aimed "illegal" bulbs are hardly less safe than the symptoms I previously mentioned. So, if you know how to change the bulb and want to help him access it, please contribute. Otherwise get back to your own "old guys take on modding" thread.

I'm just so sick of threads in here being trolled by people who know whats best for other people. If you've got something constructive to add, by all means. Negativity is not what got this forum to where it is today and is otherwise a huge turnoff to new and existing members.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 04:04 PM   #15
mcrazyrider
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3

Garage List
08 E90  [0.00]
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 05:59 PM   #16
cb1111
Rep

Quote:
Assume whatever you want to. We all know how you feel about certain modifications, no need to troll every thread with your opinion of them. He asked how to change the bulb, not what bulb to get, if the bulb he gets would look good in your opinion, nor if it was legal. Unless you're the one paying for his car and his potential tickets, I invite you to leave.

And please don't retort citing safety - while I understand it is the law for a reason, I run into far more unsafe drivers who don't turn off their high beams for oncoming traffic or have hopelessly mis-aimed regular beams than I do people running 5k and above - and even when I do properly aimed "illegal" bulbs are hardly less safe than the symptoms I previously mentioned. So, if you know how to change the bulb and want to help him access it, please contribute. Otherwise get back to your own "old guys take on modding" thread.

I'm just so sick of threads in here being trolled by people who know whats best for other people. If you've got something constructive to add, by all means. Negativity is not what got this forum to where it is today and is otherwise a huge turnoff to new and existing members.
You are assuming of course that he knew that what he was planning on doing was illegal and would most likely void any warranty on electrical issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 06:06 PM   #17
reign528
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
I never understood why people cared about what other ppl did do their cars... If the OP wanted to put 1% tint all around the entire car go ahead. Everyone has freedom of choice. There will be consequences for it of course. But putting 8k or bluish bulbs on your car... c'mon its not a safety hazard. If he gets a ticket (which he mostly likely wont) then thats what he has to deal with.

Quote:

11-28-2010, 06:10 PM   #18
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You are assuming of course that he knew that what he was planning on doing was illegal and would most likely void any warranty on electrical issues.
No, I don't know what he's doing is illegal. Neither do you. I said, you're probably right, but you don't know this for certain. And even if he comes back in and says yes I'm switching to an 8k bulb, this does not validate your assumption process as an accurate method of prediction. He asked how to change a bulb. Any responses should be "this is how you change a bulb" or "here's a link to how to change the bulb" not "omg even though I'm just assuming you're gonna put in a bulb over 5k whatever you're gonna do is illegal and look like shit"

I know your intentions are good but if you're going to try and babysit every member's decisions on here by trying to assume what they're doing your efforts are better spent elsewhere. The information is out there for those smart enough and willing to seek it. Maybe his bulb was defective and and the dealer ordered one for him and instead of bringing it in he said he'd just put it in himself, and the dealer shipped it to him. I've had this happen when my air cleaner media was out of stock and the dealer said "we can keep your car another day or ship this to you in a few days"

Guess what I picked? The point is it happens. If he was so worried about warranty he would have likely asked, same if he was worried about legality. Especially since new members knee jerk reaction is to post first rather than to search.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 06:21 PM   #19
cb1111
Rep

Quote:
No, I don't know what he's doing is illegal. Neither do you. I said, you're probably right, but you don't know this for certain. And even if he comes back in and says yes I'm switching to an 8k bulb, this does not validate your assumption process as an accurate method of prediction. He asked how to change a bulb. Any responses should be "this is how you change a bulb" or "here's a link to how to change the bulb" not "omg even though I'm just assuming you're gonna put in a bulb over 5k whatever you're gonna do is illegal and look like shit"

I know your intentions are good but if you're going to try and babysit every member's decisions on here by trying to assume what they're doing your efforts are better spent elsewhere. The information is out there for those smart enough and willing to seek it. Maybe his bulb was defective and and the dealer ordered one for him and instead of bringing it in he said he'd just put it in himself, and the dealer shipped it to him. I've had this happen when my air cleaner media was out of stock and the dealer said "we can keep your car another day or ship this to you in a few days"

Guess what I picked? The point is it happens. If he was so worried about warranty he would have likely asked, same if he was worried about legality. Especially since new members knee jerk reaction is to post first rather than to search.
Uh, the dealer wouldn't be allowed to ship a HID bulb to a customer for self installation - there is way too much liability with that.

I've found that most people here don't consider warranty or legal issues until they are faced with a repair bill or a ticket - then they come here and whine about "stealerships" or "douchebag cops."
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 06:27 PM   #20
Minefield
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Is there a prize?

Quote:
I know your intentions are good but if you're going to try and babysit every member's decisions on here by trying to assume what they're doing your efforts are better spent elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 06:30 PM   #21
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Uh, the dealer wouldn't be allowed to ship a HID bulb to a customer for self installation - there is way too much liability with that.

I've found that most people here don't consider warranty or legal issues until they are faced with a repair bill or a ticket - then they come here and whine about "stealerships" or "douchebag cops."
You mean to tell me if I go into my dealer with my under warranty car, order a replacement xenon bulb, tell them I'm putting it in myself, they would say "no, sorry, we need to spend our time and money doing that"

And I agree there are plenty of people who complain about cops and warranty etc, to the point where there is a mods and warranty thread stickied. There are also plenty others who hopelessly wish to legislate what others do to their cars...as if your original "ftfy" post was at all helpful.

It's just tiresome. When I came here, I found a car to buy, had 2 very simple questions about bmw extended vehicle protection and what panels the VIN should be on. Guess what I got in replies? "You shouldn't buy that car it's been modded to hell and back!" "You should lease a new 328!" etc etc. Luckily I was able to see that at times, there was genuinely valuable information to be gleaned from this forum, though I can guarantee none of it extracted from posts telling another that their idea was stupid or would look like shit.

Not surprising I've been spending less and less time in the general section...if we all took the time to be helpful in our replies I think everyone would benefit. Meaning that your initial response, if anything, should have read more like "are you switching the bulb to a higher k output? If so, are you aware the law states this and your dealer may have an issue with it?"
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 07:06 PM   #22
cb1111
Rep

Quote:
You mean to tell me if I go into my dealer with my under warranty car, order a replacement xenon bulb, tell them I'm putting it in myself, they would say "no, sorry, we need to spend our time and money doing that"

And I agree there are plenty of people who complain about cops and warranty etc, to the point where there is a mods and warranty thread stickied. There are also plenty others who hopelessly wish to legislate what others do to their cars...as if your original "ftfy" post was at all helpful.

It's just tiresome. When I came here, I found a car to buy, had 2 very simple questions about bmw extended vehicle protection and what panels the VIN should be on. Guess what I got in replies? "You shouldn't buy that car it's been modded to hell and back!" "You should lease a new 328!" etc etc. Luckily I was able to see that at times, there was genuinely valuable information to be gleaned from this forum, though I can guarantee none of it extracted from posts telling another that their idea was stupid or would look like shit.

Not surprising I've been spending less and less time in the general section...if we all took the time to be helpful in our replies I think everyone would benefit. Meaning that your initial response, if anything, should have read more like "are you switching the bulb to a higher k output? If so, are you aware the law states this and your dealer may have an issue with it?"
They'll be glad to sell you one, but they won't order you one for "self installation" under warranty.

Can we get back to the topic now?
Appreciate 0