E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 335xi with PROcede

02-16-2007, 12:45 PM   #1
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

335xi with PROcede

335xi with PROcede .... Does this sound like fun to anyone else?? I think my next car might be just that.

What are the reasons to NOT do this? Can the XI drivetrain handle the extra power?

I have searched, and nobody has discussed this yet

The sedan comes out in march, and the 335xi coupe comes out in sept. !
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2007, 12:47 PM   #2
NaViT
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 M3/E92 335i

that sounds hot! i would like to see of shiv thinks this can be done
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2007, 01:46 PM   #3
DrM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Montego Blue E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
335xi with PROcede .... Does this sound like fun to anyone else?? I think my next car might be just that.

What are the reasons to NOT do this? Can the XI drivetrain handle the extra power?

I have searched, and nobody has discussed this yet

The sedan comes out in march, and the 335xi coupe comes out in sept. !
Hey RiXst3r,

I remembered seeing this before:

"No doubt the 335Xi will be a good platform to tune. But unless you drive in inclimate weather often, I don't see the reason to add all the extra weight to the car. In the case of the Evo and Suby, AWD is used to improve the handling and balance of an inherenly imbalanced layout. In the case of the well-balanced 3 series, AWD just makes things work. Unless you live in the snow belt, of course, where the need for max traction takes precidence over handling balance.

cheers,
shiv"

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ighlight=335xi

Later!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2007, 03:38 PM   #4
RiXst3r
Rep

so you dont thing that AWD will help in getting all that power to the ground? my 335 spins its tires way too much right now... and even BMW's official 0-60 numbers for the 335xi show it being a few ticks faster to 60, meaning it probably hooks up better, even on dry ground
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2007, 03:43 PM   #5
SoCal335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92-TT Jet Blk Coral Red

Quote:
so you dont thing that AWD will help in getting all that power to the ground? my 335 spins its tires way too much right now... and even BMW's official 0-60 numbers for the 335xi show it being a few ticks faster to 60, meaning it probably hooks up better, even on dry ground
Maybe they will get better 0-60 times in the xi but you will be limited on mods since you would probably blow out the diff or the tranny, also it will weigh more and you will lose a lot of top end power. I think its a waste of money when you can just slap a LSD on the rear drive 335 and that will fix the launching problem. Anyone know if the coupe is coming in the xi or just sedan???
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2007, 04:00 PM   #6
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

the 335xi will have the benfit of an easier launch, but in a longer race the added drivetrain loss will eat the power from the engine

Quote:

Last edited by teknochild; 02-16-2007 at 05:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2007, 04:39 PM   #7
Walked U
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Too many to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknochild View Post
the 335xi will have the benfit of an easier launch, but in a longer race the added drivetrain loss will eat the power from the engine
+1
Ferrari 575 SA, 458 Italia
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2007, 04:51 PM   #8
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknochild View Post
all speculation.
      02-16-2007, 05:03 PM   #9
lawdude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZPP ZSP TiAg MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhaulball View Post
all speculation.
Without opinion, speculation and conjecture, this board would cease to exist.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2007, 05:06 PM   #10
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep

Quote:
all speculation.
no speculation would be saying that the 335i is faster than the xi

AWD or part AWD has more drivetrain loss than RWD

AWD has better launching capabilities, thats a fact

also i didnt underline those words, i just randomly chose words to use to link to previouse threads on this topic, that might be why your confused, ill pikc diffrent words

i think everyone missed that
      02-17-2007, 01:52 AM   #11
e36jakeo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6 Speed MT!

So much of what makes a 3-series so great is the RWD and near 50/50 weight distribution. The corresponding balanced handling, steering feel, and overall performance are what have kept it ahead of the competition for decades.

Adding drive the the front wheels makes it have front-biased weight, more weight overall, more driveline loss, and takes away some of the steering feel, plus costs more.

I say get the non Xi and with the $2K you save get a set of 17" wheels mounted with excellent snow tires. You will get around better in the winter than you do with the AWD and crappy all-season tires, and then when the weather turns good you go back to summer tires and the ultimate sports sedan.
      02-17-2007, 03:21 AM   #12
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Quote:
all speculation.
There is no speculation there.
There is much more power lost to the wheels in an AWD drivetrain.
Not too mention the added weight to the car.

Both will conspire to "rob" power and slow the car down as speeds climb.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2007, 10:34 AM   #13
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36jakeo View Post
So much of what makes a 3-series so great is the RWD and near 50/50 weight distribution. The corresponding balanced handling, steering feel, and overall performance are what have kept it ahead of the competition for decades.

Adding drive the the front wheels makes it have front-biased weight, more weight overall, more driveline loss, and takes away some of the steering feel, plus costs more.

I say get the non Xi and with the $2K you save get a set of 17" wheels mounted with excellent snow tires. You will get around better in the winter than you do with the AWD and crappy all-season tires, and then when the weather turns good you go back to summer tires and the ultimate sports sedan.
from my understanding the bmw AWD is not all time AWD, i think i read a few places its suposed to leave the RWD feel while giving AWD stability in situation of low traction? IDK how close to the truth that is, but its something to think about
      02-17-2007, 10:47 AM   #14
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
I have PROceed 6MT sedan and have no problem launching the car hard from a dead stop or mashing the throttle on a 1st gear roll-ons with limited or no wheel spin....and I haven't even touched the DTC/DSC button!

I'm in SoCal and the weather is temperate. I think the people who can't control the wheel spin on their stock 335's are probably in much colder weather and I think it affecting traction for our run-flats.

No doubt the 335xi would make it easy to hook up from a stop, even in inclement whether. However a decent driver and temperate whether, I think the RWD models are capable of sub 2.0 60 foot times.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2007, 11:12 AM   #15
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
I have PROceed 6MT sedan and have no problem launching the car hard from a dead stop or mashing the throttle on a 1st gear roll-ons with limited or no wheel spin....and I haven't even touched the DTC/DSC button!
that might be why, if you dont touch it, that meens its on fully -lol
      02-17-2007, 11:30 AM   #16
RiXst3r
Rep

turn of DTC full (5 sec hold) and tell me that your tires "fully hook up" in first gear with the PROcede
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2007, 11:37 AM   #17
DrM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Montego Blue E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
I, like teknochild, have questions on this one. Something seems odd with your car.

I am also in a warm climate. It is 80ish here. If I do a 5 mph roll and floor it, my car will light up the back tires in first gear when the turbos hit. (It is actually quite neat If I have the DTC on, it will flash the yellow warning light and cut power. The DTC cuts in strongly if you get on it and spin the tires going into second gear. You slow down as if someone threw out an anchor

My car is stock, not one with the PROcede.

Longboarder, how much power did your car show on the dyno? Does it flash the yellow warning light when you do a power launch? I think that it is odd that your car doesn't spin the tires on launch or on a rolling launch.

Have you tried launching after pressing and holding the DTC button for several seconds until the yellow warning light displays in the instrument cluster? This deactivates the DTC.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2007, 12:02 PM   #18
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

No Procede for 335xi yet

I called the Vishnu guys the night I order my 335xi and they said that the current unit should work but won't know until a customer brings in his car.

My car is not here til May so I hope someone with an XI will visit Vishnu.

The XI is 220 pounds heavier than the RWD.....does anyone know the effect of an extra 100 pounds on E/T and Trapspeeds?
      02-17-2007, 12:52 PM   #19
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post

The XI is 220 pounds heavier than the RWD.....does anyone know the effect of an extra 100 pounds on E/T and Trapspeeds?

People will tell you that for every 100 pounds add .1 second and about 1 mph.

That's not exactly correct however.

Adding 100 pounds to a 125 hp 2500 pound car is going to have a greater effect on the car than adding 100 pounds to a 600 hp 3000 pound car.

The 100 pounds added = .1 second "theory" is a reasonably good "average" for the "average" powered and weighted car.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2007, 02:23 PM   #20
musc
Free T_e_r_r_Y :)
Rep
Drives: X3MC, Audi TTRS MK3, 335is DCT

Garage List
2023 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2011 BMW 335is  [10.00]
A rough estimate is that 100 lbs is worth about 10 horsepower. I think the bigger disadvantage of the AWD would be the driveline loss.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2007, 02:32 PM   #21
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by catm3 View Post
A rough estimate is that 100 lbs is worth about 10 horsepower. I think the bigger disadvantage of the AWD would be the driveline loss.
Thanks Cat and Driver72 for the answer on the weight issue.....

I am trying to organize an airfield run in the spring so some M5 / M6's can humilate some Gallardos so if I am able to get the event going (i.e. rent the airfield, a big if at this point), I will invite some E90 335i / xis and see how they run against each other at high speeds.....

Also have there been any comparisons between Quattro and X-Drive? My understanding was that XDrive was not always engaged and therefore don't suffer the parasitic loses that Quattro suffers from (one of Gallardo's main downfalls at high speeds)
      02-18-2007, 10:41 AM   #22
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrM View Post
I, like teknochild, have questions on this one. Something seems odd with your car.

I am also in a warm climate. It is 80ish here. If I do a 5 mph roll and floor it, my car will light up the back tires in first gear when the turbos hit. (It is actually quite neat If I have the DTC on, it will flash the yellow warning light and cut power. The DTC cuts in strongly if you get on it and spin the tires going into second gear. You slow down as if someone threw out an anchor

My car is stock, not one with the PROcede.

Longboarder, how much power did your car show on the dyno? Does it flash the yellow warning light when you do a power launch? I think that it is odd that your car doesn't spin the tires on launch or on a rolling launch.

Have you tried launching after pressing and holding the DTC button for several seconds until the yellow warning light displays in the instrument cluster? This deactivates the DTC.
Yeah something does sound odd but in a good way but I'll try to be as helpful as possible here.

My car dyno'd with only 500 miles on it and did very well for being on 91 octane - from 271/279 to 327/365. Right after the PROceed install/dyno, I took my car out for a 20 minutes test drive as Shiv asked everyone to do. After driving around for 5 minutes, I decided to punch it on a first gear roll-on (without touching DSC/DTC to see how the system would engage). To my utter amazement, the car completely hooked up with no DTC/DSC light flicker....shift to second and the car just kept pulling like a rocket. I told the other guys about my experience and the consensus was that the light probably did flicker but I didn't notice it because I went through first gear so quickly. Ok maybe, I thought.

So the next day, I was on PCH between the Laguna Beach/Corona del Mar corridor and got caught at a light. I revved to about 1,500 RPM and quickly modulated the clutch/throttle and floored it. This time, my eyes were fixated on the dash...and I noticed the DTC/DSC light flickered however only for a split second and didn't disrupt acceleration...or otherwise said, traction held entirely through first gear. Then I shifted to second at redline and kept it WOT with no DTC/DSC flicker.

I've done a number of hard runs since then and the only time DTC/DSC fully engaged was when I was accelerated WOT through first gear in a 45 degree angle right hand corner. Power was abruptly cut and the car shook rather violently and like you said, felt like someone threw out an anchor.

I haven't played with the DTC/DSC button yet because I haven't needed to.

Now another theory I have as to why I'm getting such good traction is that the roads here in Orange County are flat and relatively new...so perhaps I am benefitting from that attribute combined with the warm weather...heck it was 85 degrees yesterday.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0