E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > My 5000 mile experience

05-22-2007, 05:10 PM   #1
peppernick
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 vert

My 5000 mile experience

Well, why not? .....

The 335d is a significant departure from what I was used to, even when compared the 330ci I had before M ownership got the better of me. The 335d is exciting, it's brand new, it has gargantuant torque, it has an automatic gearbox, it can do 37MPG and most of all, to me it's a blank sheet of paper I can use to quench my thirst for modding. I had several ideas that were unchartered territory, and the potential the car has to create a new whirlwind of interest in tuning.

But let's get down to business, what is the 335d like in relation to everyday driving, how does it get on with 'normal' people who likes the driving dynamics of a BMW. The 335d is truely a superb machine, it is the most compromised car you'll ever find, so compromised that it will invariably capture the interest of anyone who gets behind it's wheel. Well built, very comfortable, deceptively fast, superbly refine, yet dynamic enough to entice the driver into a bit of naughtiness at times, safe in the knowledge that 'nanny' will be there to cushion should you slip. As a car that gets you from A-B comfortably, you'll be very hard pushed to find another car that can better it. Never had you hear me say I'll take the 335d over a Mercedes Benz S500 if I were to drive from London to Glasgow, in traffic, on the motorway, on a business trip. I'll feel just as refreshed at the end of my journey, I would have had a better share of driving thrills, and the 335d will cost me significantly less money. Really, the 335d has become the interloper in the world of luxury cruisers, for those who like their driving.

However, ............. however, being a car enthusiast, and for me to choose a BMW and stay with the marque for the past 5 years, it'll be pretentious for me to say I am not at all out to seek the most driving thrill I can get, from the cars that I can afford. Here is where I find the 335d a bit 'empty'. It's too refine for it's own good. I'm not talking about tyre burning action, tail out drifting and the likes, I'm referring to overall feedback. Yes, the 335d has one of the best steering feel and the chassis is communicative, but the heart of a car, the engine, is bland despite the power and torque. In fact, I would say it's numb. 2000RPM and 5000RPM feels the same. I accidentally forgot to put the gearbox back in D after a session of manual gearchanges and I was happily crusing at 4500RPM in second, when I should be in 4th and 1500RPM, without a hint of what I was doing. The crest of the torque wave is tantalising, but anything after 4000RPM is soft. A times I wish I had another 3000RPM.

It's a great car no doubt. If I were to do it all over again, I will still entertain the idea. The 335d is one car that I will want to keep, perhaps a newer version of the same model in the years to come. However, to say that it's all the car I ever need, I wouldn't bet on it. I still love the taste of petrol too much to subject myself to a stable diet of diesel. A cocktail of both is ideal. And the prices of 4 year old M3 CSLs is beginning to whet my appetite, I'm sure there is an effective formula I can think of to drug my bank manager :rocks: ......... but I'll save it for the time when the urge is near breaking point, which I must admit is not all that far away
      05-22-2007, 05:14 PM   #2
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
By eck - thanks for the insight. The petrol sounds etc will get the better of you!
      05-23-2007, 05:14 AM   #3
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppernick View Post
but the heart of a car, the engine, is bland despite the power and torque. In fact, I would say it's numb. 2000RPM and 5000RPM feels the same. I accidentally forgot to put the gearbox back in D after a session of manual gearchanges and I was happily crusing at 4500RPM in second, when I should be in 4th and 1500RPM, without a hint of what I was doing. The crest of the torque wave is tantalising, but anything after 4000RPM is soft. A times I wish I had another 3000RPM.
This is my problem with diesels. They are now easily on a level with petrol in terms of performance, but personally I feel they lack soul and involvement.

They are too good in a way, too smooth and too easy. In contrast I love the elastic power delivery of my 330i.

I'm not talking about pure speed and acceleration here - I'm talking about feel. When accelerating hard my 530d provided instant slabby torque.

In contrast my 330i gathers speed in a fabulously 'linear' way surging toward the torque peak around 4000 rpm, where the engine note hardens and it suddenly pulls much harder right up to the 7000rpm redline.

You don't mention the gearbox in your post ... my main concern about the 335d is the lack of a manual option. It would be interesting to know how you feel about the auto.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 06:03 AM   #4
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
good read there nick, i agree with you the 335d is a fantastic car, outrageous for a diesel :rocks:

but your thoughts compared to the m3? is it as much fun to drive? is it essentially quicker? or just easier to drive quickly for you?

thanks

carl
      05-23-2007, 07:51 AM   #5
peppernick
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
You don't mention the gearbox in your post ... my main concern about the 335d is the lack of a manual option. It would be interesting to know how you feel about the auto.
IMO, a manual gearbox will spoil the driving experience. There's a significant lack of feel, I'll be absolutely lost as to when to change gear unless I keep looking at the speedometer. You can't really hear the engine out either. The auto box suits it to the ground, and is a fantatstic gearbox/software combo.

Quote:
but your thoughts compared to the m3?
Like I've always said, one is not a substitute for the other. Both cars are unique. Ideally, I want 2 cars, a 335d and an M3 CSL.

Quote:
is it as much fun to drive?
Both are fun to drive, the M3 gets the better out of you whereas the 335d makes it a lot easier for you to drive fast. Overall, IMO the M cars are on a different league when it comes to driving thrill.
      05-23-2007, 08:08 AM   #6
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
IMO, a manual gearbox will spoil the driving experience. There's a significant lack of feel, I'll be absolutely lost as to when to change gear unless I keep looking at the speedometer. You can't really hear the engine out either. The auto box suits it to the ground, and is a fantatstic gearbox/software combo.
Makes sense. It's again down to the characteristics of a powerful diesel engine - flat torque curve is flat and limited rev range.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 12:40 PM   #7
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 g05

Garage List
Horses for courses - I was actually surprised you went for a d nick based on what I've seen/heard from you on here, you don't seem like the diesel 'type' if there is such a thing.

For now I'm loving the diesel - more than I thought I would, as you know if you saw my posts I was worried I would be somehow missing out but I don't feel that at all.

I love driving but all that adrenaline and gear changing is ok when its just you in the car but for me something that can cruise nicely around town without effort but has the power when it needs it is much more important now - and I've realised that MORE since owning the car.

Again, horses for courses - otherwise there wouldn't be a d.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 12:47 PM   #8
red-max
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport

Nick, I agree with your original posting - I've done almost 8,000 miles now, and although the 335d is a superb car, somehow I can't help feeling that there's something missing from the driving experience. I've been wondering if it is down to the auto 'box - although I agree that it is very very good, even in manual mode, for me the car's just not that involving or satisfying to drive.

Quote:
Well, I'm not so sure. I had a 525d manual for 4 years, and it was a rewarding car to drive. I regret not taking a 330d manual (or even a 335i manual) for a test drive before buying my 335d - next time around I am going to try the manual cars. I'm coming round to thinking that driver involement is more important than power/torque and raw performance, especially on our increasingly congested roads (as someone already pointed out) with the constant threat of speed traps.