E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Push me over the edge...

06-20-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
BMV///M3
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW f80 M3

Push me over the edge...

To purchase Cobb over the PPK, so I can have a little more fun with my 335i. So far the 335 has been the best car I've owned. When I was younger, Im (30) now my first car was a 2000 Integra GSR, those were the pinnacle of the import days and I was knee deep into mods and racing. I was pretty knowledgable when it came to the B series Honda engine but am def a novice witht the N54. Once the scene died out I decided it was time to grow up a bit and bought an 03 IS 300 which was a great car.

Now this past January, after about 9 months of research and A5 vs 335 debate early on, I bought my AW M sport 335 and I've enjoyed it since the day of purchase.

My first thought was "this is enough, I'm outta the modification days, and I'm just going to enjoy this vehicle." But of course the fire never really goes away. After spending time on these boards I conviced myself a few mods wouldn't hurt right? So this week I ordered some OEM CF splitters which should be in this anyday and have been wanting to add the PPK. I was originally for the PPK because I know for a fact I'm not going to go heavy into tuning with this car and it being backed by BMW is comforting as I'm CPO'd till 5/15. Those days are gone for me but I wouldn't mind getting more out of the N54. I have done some research on Cobb and really like the fact you can plug and play and most importantly remove it for warrenty work. Like I said I know I won't be going further than the aggressive set point on the AccessPORT so thats why I'm choosing it over JB 4 and other's.

So like I said, I was looking for a few enthusiasts to give me their .02 and give me a little push! Thanks!

Last edited by BMV///M3; 06-20-2012 at 01:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

It sounds like you've already done your research, so just go head and order it. You won't regret it and you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
BMV///M3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rader1 View Post
It sounds like you've already done your research, so just go head and order it. You won't regret it and you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.
Yes I have researched and read the comparisions, but a little peer pressure can sometimes be a good thing right? Plus I'd like to hear from Cobb user's a little more. I've combed through the other threads and stickys and have read opinions but more are welcome.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

You sir, Searched! lol
Get the Cobb you will love it.

You will want a FMIC and downpipes soon enough
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
nafoo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Boosted Bimmer

Cobb is a great tune however it is a slippery slope. You say you just want the base tune, but soon you'll want more mods to be able to use more powerful maps.

Go ahead and get the Cobb, but I guarantee you'll be back asking "what intercooler is best, is CAI really worth it? Or should I just get dcis?"

You won't regret the power increase from a tune, but you may regret opening pandoras box
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 02:21 PM   #6
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Thumbs up

I went w/ COBB for similar reasons -- It's incredibly simple to use, has the best user interface (data logging, code reading,etc) & allows your car to have a "split-personality". It can be Dr. Jekyll (Drive mapping) when you need to play nice, and Mr. Hyde (Sport/Aggressive mapping) when you want to get the adrenaline going.

For right now if you want to make sure you don't unintentionally void your warranty with mods, you should shop for just 2 things -- The COBB AP and a drop-in air filter (K&N). That way the cars hardware will be 100% OEM and unless you leave the tune installed for service, there is NO way your warranty could be voided. You're also getting into the aftermarket scene at a very good time, now that E85 is being implemented into tunes and freeing up some more ponies.

I can promise you that after installing the tune, you'll understand why everyone here goes crazy over the N54

There is one problem here -- If you look at everyone's signature here, you'll realize the COBB led us to develop a mod-addiction and we're all FBO. So in a few months you'll be lauhging at the idea that at one time you thought that Stage 1 was gonna be enough.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #7
BMV///M3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafoo View Post
Cobb is a great tune however it is a slippery slope. You say you just want the base tune, but soon you'll want more mods to be able to use more powerful maps.

Go ahead and get the Cobb, but I guarantee you'll be back asking "what intercooler is best, is CAI really worth it? Or should I just get dcis?"

You won't regret the power increase from a tune, but you may regret opening pandoras box
Haha I love and appreciate the responses saying a base tune won't satifsy me for long. You guys may be right. But I'm a pretty strong willed guy and am sure this would be it for me. As I said I'm CPO'd for a while and thats pretty important to me. I definitely want to unleash a bit more power though. Its my daily driver and to be honest I don't have the time to be going deep into mods,tuning, and CEL codes; just want a little more go out of an already great car.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 02:48 PM   #8
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BV335 View Post
Haha I love and appreciate the responses saying a base tune won't satifsy me for long. You guys may be right. But I'm a pretty strong willed guy and am sure this would be it for me. As I said I'm CPO'd for a while and thats pretty important to me. I definitely want to unleash a bit more power though. Its my daily driver and to be honest I don't have the time to be going deep into mods,tuning, and CEL codes; just want a little more go out of an already great car.
Quit being a puss and get a tune.
You're no different than 75% of the people here. Almost everyone here is using this car as a their daily driver. I guarentee you will hate driving your car stock once you've had one of the popular tunes for this car. And its not going to make your car any less reliable as long as you maintain your car properly.

If you get a tune and think its not worth the effort and money over stock, you can always sell it. But we all know that's not going to happen.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 03:55 PM   #9
Cypress
Private
Rep
Drives: '09 335i

It's good you are thinking this through.

If you have access to e85 I would strongly consider looking at the piggy backs especially if you live in Cali and only have access to crap 91 gas. I was ready to pickup a Cobb but reconsidered based on current maps available to support e85. The Cobb is a lot of coin to drop on a tune if you are going to limit yourself to the basic Stage 1 drive map.

I also have CPO and value retaining my warranty more than going fast. A tune, +dci, +e85, is about the best you can do while remaining virtually undetected. No DPs, no FMIC, no meth, etc. and close to 400hp. I also greatly appreciate the abilty to change tunes on the fly whenever I feel like it. I don't use e85 every fill up, but its nice to be able to add some into the tank and change maps whenever I feel like it.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 05:17 PM   #10
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Everyone is overly concerned about their warranty when they start tuning, but then realize its no big deal. Just don't be stupid when going to the dealership and you'll be ok.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 05:18 PM   #11
BMV///M3
Major
Rep

Secret squirrel, I am going to get a tune but I'm just doing my research. I just ordered the splitters and they weren't cheap, ha! and yes I'm one of those who are very concerned about their warranty which is why Cobb is for me.

Cypress I agree the Cobb isn't cheap for just a stage 1 tune. But then again $750 for the PPK is a lot considering you get much more out of Cobb for close to the same amount. Plus if I do want more power like everyone seems to; I'll have that option. And Yes CA is limited to 91 and I don't have access to E85 so that might help keep me happy with stage 1.

Anyone on there forums you guys recommend purchasing from or just off their site?

I'd also like to see any vids out there of Cobb tuned 335s vs. anything. Not that I'm into street racing but more to see real time performance. (I haven't searched for those vids yet).
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #12
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

I recommend buying from Jeff@topgearsolutions
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 09:22 PM   #13
gtaccord
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335xi

Garage List
Do it! Forget the PPK.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 09:57 PM   #14
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

I used to say Dinan, conservative was my moto, and now I am a mod / HP whore

I blame everyone on e90post.com but I mostly blame RnmEvo9 who brought the out of me
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 10:04 PM   #15
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Get the COBB, it's a great tune and not that big of a difference in price over the PPK. You can even find an AP used for cheaper than a PPK (unless you can score a sweet deal like you can with Phil@Reeves.com, a vendor on here)
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 11:02 PM   #16
BMV///M3
Major
Rep

Thanks for all the great feed back guys. I am definitely interested in the Cobb. Ive read so many threads and watched install vids my eyes are hurting, ha.

Here are a few quick dumb questions I'm sure I can find answers for but I'm hoping someone here can help me cheat.

1. During install, do you need to upload each individual map. For example, if I installed the stage 1 91 octane map first. Would I have to repeat the install process for valet and stage 0?

*edit, think i answered my own question. The maps are already loaded on the AP, you just go through the flash process and it'll change to that setting right? How long to switch between maps?

2. Is stage 0 Cobbs version of stock? Is it more/less powerful than the 335 stock tune? I also read somewhere it's not good to run stage 0 all the time. Not that I would, I'd prob be on stage 1 all the time ha.

3. How is gas mileage affected with stage one aggressive and stock throttle. (seems like an oxymoron type of question but I'm curious.)

4. I read a great review of an install and I think i noticed the user copying the factory settings and storing it in the AP. Can that be done and selected by the AP just like any other stage?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 11:35 PM   #17
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
1. The maps are already loaded on the AP, you just go through the flash process and it'll change to that setting right? How long to switch between maps?
Basically you download the AP manager onto your computer and download the OTS Maps off the COBB website. Plug the AP into your computer, sync the maps and flash to whatever map you're in the mood for. Takes about 2 mins to go from one map to another.

2. Is stage 0 Cobbs version of stock? Is it more/less powerful than the 335 stock tune? I also read somewhere it's not good to run stage 0 all the time. Not that I would, I'd prob be on stage 1 all the time ha.
Stage 0 is essentially the Stock tune. Run Stage 1, whether it's Drive, Sport or Aggressive.

3. How is gas mileage affected with stage one aggressive and stock throttle. (seems like an oxymoron type of question but I'm curious.)
Completely depends how you drive. My MPG went up on Stage 1 since it took less effort for the car to get up to speed or pass people on the highway. Now that I'm running Stage 2+, my MPG has gone down cause I'm constantly hammering the car around.

4. I read a great review of an install and I think i noticed the user copying the factory settings and storing it in the AP. Can that be done and selected by the AP just like any other stage?
The OEM DME is backed up into the AP, so when you uninstall it puts that tune back in place. If you want to run the OEM tune, just run Stage 0.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 11:42 PM   #18
BMV///M3
Major
Rep

Thanks for the quick answers! I really appreciate it. Learning quite a bit this week.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 12:24 AM   #19
zztwinturbozz
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i xdrive

Keep in mind aggressive is for 93+ octane. And contact **********s. They are in OC and I got a better deal than topgearsolutions offered me. Alan or Gilbert will hook you up.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 02:03 AM   #20
ledorkii
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 335i

DO IT! I just received my COBB AP in the mail today and I'm super excited to have it installed tomorrow morning.

Also, +1 for Jeff@TGS. I don't know what prices the other vendors are offering but Jeff always answers his messages promptly and the shipping was incredibly fast (although that might vary for you since you're in CA).
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 10:16 PM   #21
BMV///M3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledorkii View Post
DO IT! I just received my COBB AP in the mail today and I'm super excited to have it installed tomorrow morning.

Also, +1 for Jeff@TGS. I don't know what prices the other vendors are offering but Jeff always answers his messages promptly and the shipping was incredibly fast (although that might vary for you since you're in CA).
Did you ever get your COBB installed? How are you liking it?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #22
ledorkii
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BV335 View Post
Did you ever get your COBB installed? How are you liking it?
Yes I did! I didn't get a chance to really try it until recently. I just finished doing a road trip from NYC to Toronto and I'm just loving the feeling of the Stage 1 Aggressive Mode. Now, I'm debating on whether it's already time to get an FMIC and Intercooler, hahaha.
Appreciate 0