E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Almost t-boned due to torque converter

06-13-2014, 02:12 PM   #1
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Almost t-boned due to torque converter

Guys, i posted a few quick quips about this in other threads but now its become a real concern

Pulled out in front of traffic to do a u turn and got almost no 'go' out of the car, it lazily turned in front of traffic which was bearing down on me quickly - had to mash the pedal all the way to kickdown to finish the turn!

Im not sure if this is the torque converter, tranny or diff but its got me very alarmed.

Anyone have any similar experience/advice?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 02:20 PM   #2
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

This is not supposed to happen. Mine never does that. I've heard some others complain about a hesitation/turbo lag/transmission programming issue that might cause this, but I wouldn't call it "normal."

If anything, mine has too much load on the engine while idling so I often put it in neutral at a stop light.

PL
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 02:37 PM   #3
Thud
Throbbing Member
Rep
Drives:

If you attempted to accelerate strongly while doing a u-turn, it's highly likely that the traction control kicked in. You'd need to turn it off first, but then you'll just get a lot of wheelspin thanks to the open differential.
2008 BMW 135i / 6MT
2002 Z06 Corvette
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 02:38 PM   #4
Fizer
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3

That is crazy
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 02:58 PM   #5
WilliamS
GoofBall
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 N54 Xdrive

Im 2nd for traction control. Its abrupt and it robs you for a good few seconds. It seems like forever when traffic is coming but in reality its only 3 seconds. Like the above said you gave it some power around the corner and traction control decided your fun was over.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 02:59 PM   #6
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Pulled out in front of traffic to do a u turn and got almost no 'go' out of the car, it lazily turned in front of traffic which was bearing down on me quickly - had to mash the pedal all the way to kickdown to finish the turn!

Im not sure if this is the torque converter, tranny or diff but its got me very alarmed.

Anyone have any similar experience/advice?
probably a bunch of things. I notice mine will load up the torque converter a bit before really responding, and that it only happens in D. I have learned to plan ahead. I dont know how wide of a u-turn you were making, but if I hit the kickdown switch doing a u-turn it would take me forever to get out of the intersection because TCS would pitch one heck of a fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
If anything, mine has too much load on the engine while idling so I often put it in neutral at a stop light.
if thats true your transmission/computer has an issue, since it is supposed to shift to a sort of "neutral" when you are stopped. As soon as you let off the brake it slips back, so theres not really a way to know its there unless you trick it and you feel the kick once it realizes what is happening.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 03:08 PM   #7
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

I agree with Hooper, I plan ahead and usually shift to DS. Traction control is definitely an issue as it is quite invasive. On my past E92 335i 6mt I could put it well sideways before I get nannies screaming.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 04:25 PM   #8
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
Smooth application of the go pedal works too.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 05:31 PM   #9
DieselRacer
BMW Advanced Diesel, 2011 BMW 335d M sport...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M sport

Garage List
Sprint Booster...
      06-14-2014, 05:36 PM   #10
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thud
If you attempted to accelerate strongly while doing a u-turn, it's highly likely that the traction control kicked in. You'd need to turn it off first, but then you'll just get a lot of wheelspin thanks to the open differential.
Wasnt TC. i am sure of this. It when i hit 2-2500 rpm it finally locks with a 'thunk'
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 07:03 PM   #11
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5, 135i, 335d, F10 550xi

Do the RPMs climb the moment you give throttle, or is there a lag?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 10:39 PM   #12
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i_vs_
Do the RPMs climb the moment you give throttle, or is there a lag?
Rpms do climb
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 11:15 PM   #13
Timujin
Major
Rep
Drives: GMC Sierra

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thud View Post
This could be it.

I have no thuds in the drivetrain.
      06-15-2014, 01:08 PM   #14
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timujin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thud View Post
This could be it.

I have no thuds in the drivetrain.
Negative. It was smooth and it limped. I had to hammer down due to the fact that it didnt react and i needed to save my pink bacon.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 01:38 PM   #15
tc535i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2001 330i, 1995 M3

Yeah, if you're revving up but not moving until you hit xxxx Rpm, that sounds like a torque converter issue
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 08:36 AM   #16
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

Traction Control is the culprit it happened to me back in 2011 I tried to pull out on a curve and almost died a a loaded truck almost hit me that's when I learned NEVER to have DSC on on curve or pulling away of the ramps, LEARNED my lesson though not before shitting on myself LOL
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 10:00 AM   #17
Orygun
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

From OP's description I'm beginning to doubt it's the traction control.

I've learned to turn DSC off myself when I know I might have to gun it into a turn from a stop; the difference being if DSC is on and it cuts power I have to let up off the throttle and ease back into it for the car to react. If I floored it even further without letting up first, like the OP states he was doing, I think the DSC would continue cutting power, at least until I was straightened out and out of the turn, although I've never kept the throttle down to find out.

Taibanl, did your car finally take off after you'd straightened out of your u-turn, or were you still in the middle of the turn? If it was after you were straightened out I'd still suspect DSC, if you were still in the turn I'd think it was something else.

No expert here by any means, just commenting off of my own experiences.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 11:54 AM   #18
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep

Wondering if you reset the shift points to factory to see if this problem persists.

Assuming you checked for BMW specific codes already and none were triggered.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 04:43 PM   #19
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep

Forgot to mention, I know the issue you are talking about! Hasn't happened in over a year so I forgot.
This used to happen to me almost every time when I used to wait to make a left out of my workplace parking lot. I used to think something is wrong; if I gave it too much throttle from a stop on the turn it felt like the car didn't want to go anywhere and shifted to 2nd. Yes, scary situation when another car is coming right at you.

I learned if I get a car moving just slightly (wheels moving with tracition) then I can give as much throttle as I want during the turn without any hiccups. I've subconsciously been doing this on all my turns, lol.

This issue I believe is related to lack on traction and the car cutting power out for that.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 06:13 PM   #20
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
Traction Control is the culprit it happened to me back in 2011 I tried to pull out on a curve and almost died a a loaded truck almost hit me that's when I learned NEVER to have DSC on on curve or pulling away of the ramps, LEARNED my lesson though not before shitting on myself LOL
Thats what it seems like, though for reasons above I am doubting TC - the car is putting like zero power to the wheels so how could it be detecting wheel spin and engaging T.C.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orygun View Post
From OP's description I'm beginning to doubt it's the traction control.

I've learned to turn DSC off myself when I know I might have to gun it into a turn from a stop; the difference being if DSC is on and it cuts power I have to let up off the throttle and ease back into it for the car to react. If I floored it even further without letting up first, like the OP states he was doing, I think the DSC would continue cutting power, at least until I was straightened out and out of the turn, although I've never kept the throttle down to find out.

Taibanl, did your car finally take off after you'd straightened out of your u-turn, or were you still in the middle of the turn? If it was after you were straightened out I'd still suspect DSC, if you were still in the turn I'd think it was something else.

No expert here by any means, just commenting off of my own experiences.
Seems to be sluggish for literally a few seconds and then spools up more quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i_vs_ View Post
Wondering if you reset the shift points to factory to see if this problem persists.

Assuming you checked for BMW specific codes already and none were triggered.
No codes
Will try the reset posted in other threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i_vs_ View Post
Forgot to mention, I know the issue you are talking about! Hasn't happened in over a year so I forgot.
This used to happen to me almost every time when I used to wait to make a left out of my workplace parking lot. I used to think something is wrong; if I gave it too much throttle from a stop on the turn it felt like the car didn't want to go anywhere and shifted to 2nd. Yes, scary situation when another car is coming right at you.

I learned if I get a car moving just slightly (wheels moving with tracition) then I can give as much throttle as I want during the turn without any hiccups. I've subconsciously been doing this on all my turns, lol.

This issue I believe is related to lack on traction and the car cutting power out for that.
Ill have to drive with DTC on and DSC off just to check.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 04:09 PM   #21
Jules59
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Still searching ...

I got fed up with the sudden loss of power when pulling out and turning. With the default full "safety" on, the the slightest wheel spin dumps the engine power and its a scary moment or two before it comes back on and is much worse in the wet with RFTs. Its a lot better with the "safety" half off (first press) which allows some wheel spin before you loose the power but if you really gun it then you end up with the same loss of power. A sustained press turns all "safeties" off. I drive all the time with the first press "DSC on" and if needing to get good acceleration whilst crossing on-coming traffic I quickly set SPORT mode and flick the paddle to M2. Foot down and another flick of the paddle at about 3500rpm into M3 takes me over 60mph. Thats the best way Ive found for the regular commuter launch. M1 just spins the wheels.
      06-27-2014, 04:39 PM   #22
m80theWolf
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

In that situation, if you had mashed the gas mid u-turn, I'd be amazed if the TC didn't kick in. I'm not saying there couldn't be an issue with the torque converter, but if the power has made it to the wheels you'd probably have been sideways.
Appreciate 0