E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Suddenly no electrical power

11-20-2021, 11:20 AM   #23
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

What you really need to get is a BMW compatible OBD reader. The IBS should produce a fault according to TIS, if it is bad. It could be the sensor itself which is integral to the - cable, the cable which you disconnected or something entirely different and it is just blind luck that disconnecting it happened to coincide with you car retiring to life.

Without the proper diagnostic tools, you might just be throwing money at a problem. In either case, I wouldn't drive around with it just disconnected. The IBS monitors a lot of functions of your battery and disconnecting it will produce unpredictable problems.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 08:34 PM   #24
JunkyardDogg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335is E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by e91Owner View Post
What you really need to get is a BMW compatible OBD reader. The IBS should produce a fault according to TIS, if it is bad. It could be the sensor itself which is integral to the - cable, the cable which you disconnected or something entirely different and it is just blind luck that disconnecting it happened to coincide with you car retiring to life.

Without the proper diagnostic tools, you might just be throwing money at a problem. In either case, I wouldn't drive around with it just disconnected. The IBS monitors a lot of functions of your battery and disconnecting it will produce unpredictable problems.
This is what I get when I read the codes with MHD (ibs unplugged)

Do I need to read the codes with it plugged back in?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 09:05 PM   #25
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep

Yeah, because otherwise you don't know if it's faulted or just unplugged. But, plug it back in, clear the codes and then rescan.

Also, this service bulletin may address your problem. Can't tell if your car is in the build range on my phone, though.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/attac...8;d=1361133916
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 10:22 PM   #26
JunkyardDogg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, because otherwise you don't know if it's faulted or just unplugged. But, plug it back in, clear the codes and then rescan.

Also, this service bulletin may address your problem. Can't tell if your car is in the build range on my phone, though.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/attac...7&d=1361133916
Ok, ill try that.

And that bulletin addresses the B+ cable issue connected to the fusebox. I thought that was my initial problem but it seems its the ibs.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 08:18 AM   #27
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkyardDogg View Post
And that bulletin addresses the B+ cable issue connected to the fusebox. I thought that was my initial problem but it seems its the ibs.
Well, it doesn't really seem like you know that yet. Disconnecting the wire from the IBS, doesn't mean it's the IBS. It could be that when the DME isn't able to use the IBS, that it is preventing a draw from another circuit that is suspended when it is disconnected.

TIS has all the monitored functions, I'd you want to look at exactly the functions you are cutting off when the cable is removed.

Once you've scanned it with it reconnected, you'll be able to ID the problem a little better. If it is the IBS, you will likely have to run it to produce a fault if it is indeed faulty, so I would t do it just on accessories. If all of the faults go away and stay gone on a second scan, you'll just have to monitor it for a few days. The 2DEC/D faults return along, I would look at the inspection procedure in that TSB.

Last edited by e91Owner; 11-23-2021 at 08:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 01:10 PM   #28
JunkyardDogg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Well, it doesn't really seem like you know that yet. Disconnecting the wire from the IBS, doesn't mean it's the IBS. It could be that when the DME isn't able to use the IBS, that it is preventing a draw from another circuit that is suspended when it is disconnected.

TIS has all the monitored functions, I'd you want to look at exactly the functions you are cutting off when the cable is removed.

Once you've scanned it with it reconnected, you'll be able to ID the problem a little better. If it is the IBS, you will likely have to run it to produce a fault if it is indeed faulty, so I would t do it just on accessories. If all of the faults go away and stay gone on a second scan, you'll just have to monitor it for a few days. The 2DEC/D faults return along, I would look at the inspection procedure in that TSB.
Thanks, I re-connected the ibs and tightly secured the battery and the car started! I'm wondering if a loose bolt to secure the negative battery terminal was the culprit this whole time

I cleared codes and rescanned and no codes came back. I'm gonna monitor it for the next few days and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 04:45 PM   #29
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I re-connected the ibs and tightly secured the battery and the car started! I'm wondering if a loose bolt to secure the negative battery terminal was the culprit this whole time

I cleared codes and rescanned and no codes came back. I'm gonna monitor it for the next few days and see what happens.
Great. I'm surprised you could even read my last post. Big thumbs... small phone.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:52 PM   #30
Kamikaze
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M sport 2008

Quote:
Strangest thing happened. Last time I drove was yesterday. Today I unlock the trunk with my key fob to take out a ball for my dog. I go and play fetch. I come back to the car and the key fob doesn't open the trunk. I open the car door, and no electrical is working. Put the key fob in the ignition and nothing. Any idea what it could be? Battery was replaced less than 2 yrs ago.
I have a BMW 320i m sport 2008. My keyfob lock and unlock was not working so I checked the fuse box for any blown fuses, but none were blown out so I put them back in the right place. After that the car has no power, key locks in but no dashlights, no ignition and no crank no start. Battery has enough voltage to start the car. Central locking button, dome lights, hazard light works. Anybody had similar experience?
Appreciate 0