E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Need Advice Quick!! Exhaust noise

Today, 08:20 AM   #1
Peachey
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi (n54)

Need Advice Quick!! Exhaust noise

I have a 2010 335xi— It’s got the n54 engine. I have straight through magnaflow mufflers and it makes decent noise. Catless downpipes are to be installed soon. I don’t want to go back on it but I can see it getting to loud in the cabin. Any tips to reduce noise? Anywhere from wrapping the downpipe to interior insulation, please offer some tips! Thank you
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:38 AM   #2
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachey View Post
I have a 2010 335xi— It’s got the n54 engine. I have straight through magnaflow mufflers and it makes decent noise. Catless downpipes are to be installed soon. I don’t want to go back on it but I can see it getting to loud in the cabin. Any tips to reduce noise? Anywhere from wrapping the downpipe to interior insulation, please offer some tips! Thank you
In my experience downpipes don't add a ton of volume. They add a little volume but change the tone a lot. They tend to make it raspier up high and it has a throatier sound but if it's not obnoxiously loud now it shouldn't be after either. Add in some vibrant resonators if it's too loud or you could always go back to a more traditional/bigger muffler.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:05 AM   #3
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

pneumatic valved exhaust.

you can try dynamat on car pannels, but it is expensive, heavy and time consuming, and wont get rid of very low frequencies.

I have a N54, and damn the valved exhaust is a dream. Closed is as silent if not more than OEM. And open, well, all the fun, it's straight.

I use the aliexpress version (they are all the same anyway). You can get 2 or 1 large one similar to the OEM look.
Appreciate 0