E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Need Immediate Help! VANOS recall leading to additional charges.

Today, 10:09 AM   #1
MatthewsMobileRepair
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328xi

Garage List
Question Need Immediate Help! VANOS recall leading to additional charges.

I’m going to make this as short as possible as I’m on a time crunch here. I dropped off my wife’s 2010 BMW 328xi at Checkered Flag BMW in Virginia Beach, VA last Thursday after waiting a month and a half for the VANOS bolts to be available for replacement. They contacted her yesterday and told her that the front differential needed to be replaced. In the process of removing oil pan to get broken bolts out, the tech admittedly damaged the inner splines of the differential when removing the drive side half shaft/cv axle but said it was “probably because it was aftermarket, not sure but probably” on video (link below). They told her it would be $4,800 for a differential assy that is listed on their website for $1,948.52. The service manager has stated numerous times this is the price WITHOUT labor. That was the first red flag. The second one happened minutes ago when he ceased all contact with me because I preferred to keep the conversation between us thru text so that I have proof of everything said. My question is, can they charge me for a mistake made by their tech during a recall? Regardless of the part being aftermarket and knowing the car was in working condition when it was dropped off? Tensions are rising and I need help. I’ve called BMW USA and they won’t get involved. PLEASE HELP.

Here’s the link to the video sent to me by the BMW tech. https://c.xtime.com/muEi6-LjT_z_1ABSXX

Dealer: Checkered Flag BMW Virginia Beach, VA
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:15 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

What is the back story on the "aftermarket" axle? Did you have the axle replaced previously? What brand is the axle? Etc.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:23 AM   #3
MatthewsMobileRepair
Rep

Garage List
I replaced it myself about 3 months ago. The front differential has had absolutely zero issues and when installed it was done so smoothly. Car has been driven 10,000 miles with no problems, other than VANOS bolts. In the video you can hear the tech say it was seized and needed to be forcibly removed. I’m guessing they didn’t use the special tool they recommend in their service manual to remove the axle or just didn’t know what he was doing. I just received a text from the dealer stating “as a mechanic yourself, you should know that when removing parts that damage can occur without it being the fault of the workmanship” and I can absolutely agree to that. My issue still stands; the removal of the axle was done for the recall, and as far as I know, it is illegal to charge for recall repairs. Not to mention highly unethical To charge $4,800 for a $1,948 part when they state in the estimate there are no labor charges.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:37 AM   #4
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

It doesn't matter if the axle was aftermarket or not, they damaged it and they're responsible. Be polite and stand your ground, but be prepared to hire a lawyer if they don't want to make it right. There was no damage to the axle splines when you took the car in. They damaged it, they fix it. Shops have insurance for that sort of mishap.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:48 AM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewsMobileRepair View Post
I replaced it myself about 3 months ago. The front differential has had absolutely zero issues and when installed it was done so smoothly. Car has been driven 10,000 miles with no problems, other than VANOS bolts. In the video you can hear the tech say it was seized and needed to be forcibly removed. I’m guessing they didn’t use the special tool they recommend in their service manual to remove the axle or just didn’t know what he was doing. I just received a text from the dealer stating “as a mechanic yourself, you should know that when removing parts that damage can occur without it being the fault of the workmanship” and I can absolutely agree to that. My issue still stands; the removal of the axle was done for the recall, and as far as I know, it is illegal to charge for recall repairs. Not to mention highly unethical To charge $4,800 for a $1,948 part when they state in the estimate there are no labor charges.
If the the aftermarket shaft was manufactured to BMW specifications then the dealership can't blame the whatever fault (spline damage?) they believe the diff has on the use of a non-OE shaft.

And I'm not seeing any damage anyway. Are they trying to say when the aftermarket axle was installed the c-clip popped out of its groove and got lodged in-between the spline OD and the diff ID? That would be impossible there is not enough clearance for that to take place and it would take a hydraulic press to force such a fit. And... where is the mangled C-clip? At worse case they should flush the diff, reassemble and refill with fresh oil.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; Today at 11:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:12 PM   #6
MatthewsMobileRepair
Rep

Garage List
Spoke to Service Manager

The following text was sent to me by the Service Manager:

“The differential was not damaged as a result of the recall. The differential still moves. During removal we found chunks of metal in it and the fluid to be extremely burnt. Upon further inspection we can see that the C-clip from the aftermarket axle spline came apart while the vehicle was in motion and damaged the axle channel. This was a result of the aftermarket axle - nothing to do with the recall. You being a mechanic you should understand that when you take a component apart that had an internal failure it won't always go back together the same way with no fault of our workmanship. The quote we included is with no labor included. For clarification the differential should still be operational. However, the axle has play and is not a safe condition. Let me know if you have any further questions.”

He also “clarified” the price gouging situation considering the differential is $1,948 online and the estimate was for $3,000 more by sending me his screenshot of the parts breakdown… that will be attached below.

My question now is, how in the hell should I proceed to avoid having to pay out of pocket for these extremely marked up parts. The axle shaft is discontinued by the way. And I asked if they could just put a new c-clip back onto the aftermarket shaft but he says they can’t get it. The DISCONTINUED OEM shaft is $1,402 thru the dealership. Should I just tell them to put everything back, even the aftermarket shaft without the c-clip? I have made arrangements to pick up with a truck and trailer so I can bring it to my shop and finish repairs. If they do the work that needs to be done to have it running again like it came in, we would not be able to afford the bill. She would owe nearly $5,000 for a car that she is 6 years out from paying off as it is. I am so torn and confused and frustrated. I have been a technician for 15+ years and have never used a dealership for anything so I am completely unaware of how this works if I make things hostile and demand they return the vehicle in the working order it was received.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:15 PM   #7
MatthewsMobileRepair
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
If the the aftermarket shaft was manufactured to BMW specifications then the dealership can't blame the whatever fault (spline damage?) they believe the diff has on the use of a non-OE shaft.

And I'm not seeing any damage anyway. Are they trying to say when the aftermarket axle was installed the c-clip popped out of its groove and got lodged in-between the spline OD and the diff ID? That would be impossible there is not enough clearance for that to take place and it would take a hydraulic press to force such a fit. And... where is the mangled C-clip? At worse case they should flush the diff, reassemble and refill with fresh oil.

They are telling me that the forced removal of the “seized” axle was the cause of the damage, not the result of workmanship or the fault of the technician.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:29 PM   #8
Mike K
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 328i RWD

Garage List
Get an attorney in on this! Paying one to help you might save $$$.

I did my own Vanos bolts years back and I now have zero interest in letting the dealer inspect them for fear of exactly these kind of high-jinks!

BMW totally dropped the ball on the Vanos faulty bolts, stonewalling the recall, not having the replacement bolts available from their own sources, or even our sources (they had aftermarket suppliers not allow sales of these pre-recall and easily sourced replacement bolts!), and now with bumbling recall service.

Class action anyone??
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:31 PM   #9
lordnikon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Break My Wallet

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
Get an attorney in on this! Paying one to help you might save $$$.

I did my own Vanos bolts years back and I now have zero interest in letting the dealer inspect them for fear of exactly these kind of high-jinks!

BMW totally dropped the ball on the Vanos faulty bolts, stonewalling the recall, not having the replacement bolts available from their own sources, or even our sources (they had aftermarket suppliers not allow sales of these pre-recall and easily sourced replacement bolts!), and now with bumbling recall service.

Class action anyone??
Agreed. These types of mishaps really deter me from taking it to the dealer unless it's absolutely necessary.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:15 PM   #10
MatthewsMobileRepair
Rep

Garage List
I forgot to mention the 60% markup on the differential assembly and the 100% markup on the axle seals. I called them out on it and they said they would “honor their online prices” but why the hell does it take me doing the math for them to “honor” their own pricing? Is that how they get away with price gouging? Presenting it at a certain price and only mentioning the exponential markup after the customer painstakingly researches the part numbers and pricing thru their website? What about the customers who aren’t tech savvy? They just pay 100% more than everyone who is? Wtf is going on here!?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:37 PM   #11
MatthewsMobileRepair
Rep

Garage List
Cool Oh yea… by the way

I find it quite ironic that the cv-axle the dealership swore up and down caused the internal damage to the differential is fu**ing discontinued on their website. How do they expect customers to honor their OEM regulations if they don’t even have the OEM parts available to buy…. After mentioning this to the service manager, I was kindly advised that they will be putting it back together with fresh fluids, new seals, and the original parts all free of charge. In my opinion, it’s not really a win tho. Their inability to make the cv-axle readily (or at all) available to the consumer when that very cv-axle will be removed during the process of EVERY VANOS recall with broken bolts means that thousands of customers are going to be going through the nightmare I just endured. Most of which have zero experience or knowledge in this industry.

So to whomever may find this post and are in need of similar advice, just tell them that the cv-axle (if aftermarket) they blame the damage on is discontinued and that it’s BMW’s responsibility to either repair the damaged parts or provide the necessary replacement parts online for the end consumer to follow their chaotic guidelines.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:51 PM   #12
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

What a scam. First he said it had to be forceably removed and now the c clip has been floating around your burnt fluid and toasting the diff? Which is it?

Excellent point on the fact that there is no OE axle even available. If your axle is to blame, what was he going to use in the new front diff?

Seems like its coming to a head but my take would probably be to have them put it back together as best as possible, pick it up, and be glad it's out of their hands now.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:54 PM   #13
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

One distinct advantages of a BMWCCA membership is they have 3 ombudsman who will help you out on issues like this. No cost for a lawyer.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 02:07 PM   #14
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

I'll ask a dumb question. Why does the pan need to come off to find the broken bolt heads? If it was my car I'd get a borescope and look around for them then fish them out with a magnetic tool. The oil sensor hole is plenty big enough to get either tool in the pan to search for and fish the broken parts out.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 02:20 PM   #15
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

If you used a GKN axle, GKN is the OE supplier for E90 halfshafts. I installed the left side rear on my RWD E90 years ago. It fit perfectly.
Appreciate 0