E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Take 2 from Vishnu: Tuning the 335i

09-25-2006, 01:14 PM   #45
lawdude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZPP ZSP TiAg MT

So shiv, in your opinion, other than the engine, will the rest of the drivetrain handle the projected increase in hp/torque?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2006, 02:28 PM   #46
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
TheAcAvenger- We've recently made the decision to build up the entire car around the tweaked powerplant. This means upgrading the differential, sway bars, shocks and springs. It's still my own personal daily driver so we're not going to go extreme/racy with it. Those who want to do something like that are better served by an M3. But we do want to put together a nice balanced package where one characteristic doesn't overpower another. Think of it like a stardard 335i but cranked up a few notches in every respect. Our chassis guy, Paul Gerrard, has a lot of experience with BMWs. He was the chief instructor for Skip Barber for several years and also is the head instructor for all the BMW ride-and-drive/Ultimate Driving Experience clinics/events. The first time I met him years back, he was conducting BMW-sponsored car control clinics in M3s and M5s. We'll see how the efforts pan out in our car and if there is enough interest, we'll offer something to the public.

lawdude-- Transmissions/drivetrains don't really car about hp. Instead, their integrity is directly influenced by torque output. So some judgement must be applied here. Do we want to max out the torque at 2000-4000rpm just for the sake of a fat dyno curve? Probably not. We'll take a more conservative route and make sure the car not only *feels* natural but is also relatively unstressed despite the increased output. The nice thing about tuning BMWs is that their owners tend to focus on reliability/driveability over outright dyno bragging power. That's a good thing

Cheers,
Shiv
Vishnu Performance Systems
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2006, 02:38 PM   #47
sstarch1
From Russia With Boost
Rep
Drives: E92 335i - Vroom

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Keep up the good work.

You have a very intersted buyer right here! Cant wait for something concrete.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2006, 02:42 PM   #48
rayainsw
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335iS

Cost est.?

Do you have a target \ estimated cost for this upgrade to the motor?
Do you expect to offer a warrantee - something like Dinan does?
Will it be an exchange of the part ( PCM ? ) you are working on - or some sort of re-flash?
It sounds like a worthy effort - so far!
Kudos!
- Ray
Hoping to test drive a 335 Sedan tomorrow.....
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2006, 03:05 PM   #49
lawdude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZPP ZSP TiAg MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu

lawdude-- Transmissions/drivetrains don't really car about hp. Instead, their integrity is directly influenced by torque output. So some judgement must be applied here. Do we want to max out the torque at 2000-4000rpm just for the sake of a fat dyno curve? Probably not. We'll take a more conservative route and make sure the car not only *feels* natural but is also relatively unstressed despite the increased output. The nice thing about tuning BMWs is that their owners tend to focus on reliability/driveability over outright dyno bragging power. That's a good thing

Cheers,
Shiv
Vishnu Performance Systems
Thanks for educating me. I appreciate the thought you put into it and the simple explanations.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2006, 03:20 PM   #50
Stealth335i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrevo
Hummm,, I wonder if Big Al is going to get into the 335i tunning?

LOL,, just a little humor for you Shiv,, from the evom.net
Oh god, you had to add to the fire, didn't you!!! For those who don't know, this is such an annoying subject, that if you were aware of it, ^ this comment would make you want too kick out the next person who brought it up, NO JOKE!

So please, don't bring it over to the bimmer forums. Its bad enough everyone that came from the evo world had to put up with it.

Keep things on topic PLEASE!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2006, 04:04 PM   #51
silvrevo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235v 6spd

See the LOL? It was a joke,, not for you thou

So shut it..

now back on track.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2007, 11:53 PM   #52
BMWPower06
A^M=G is nothing w/o the Power of ///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M5 & ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp335i View Post
I am currently building an alter in my living room in honor of the Vishnu gods. It also has a calendar on it so I can count the days til they release this bad boy.

Hats off to them for doing this and keeping us constantly informed.
soo true, i worship vishnu too
      01-24-2007, 03:22 PM   #53
NewhouseEnt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: none

When? Evidence and MPG

[QUOTE=shiv@vishnu;453471]Here's were we left off last week:

As stated in that link, the dyno results represented a partial tune. This was because we only had secondary control over boost targets and AFR targets. As of today, we now have full control over the boost control system. So in summary, here's what we got:

1) Full control over ignition timing (at all rpm/loads)
2) Full control over full throttle boost targets
etc., etc.

I talked to a Sterling BMW mechanic today and we got to talking. I told him about your work and current achievments with the 335i (I have a 335i now.) He could not figure out how you are going to erase evidence of the ECU. He said maybe from the mechanics software, but not when the engineers come down, whom can read everything that ever happens all the way to six months back. Shift speeds, rev limit hits, etc. If an engine or trans is blown, the engeneers will come down to find out what happened.
Secondly when will the 400+ upgrade be available? I'm chomping impatiently at the bit at getting one. But my car is a lease and I would hate to do something that would screw me, warranty wise. Dinan has a full warranty as far as far as I know. But Sterling says they have very poor customer service.
Lastly, I read a post on a guy that had nothing but praise after your work on his 335i, he said the mpg got better.... I'm trying to wrap my mind around getting better than my 17.8mpg and 18.4mpg with an additional 100hp being added on. My dad always said... "you've got to feed the horses."
Appreciate 0