E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > No 1st Gear Wheel Spin - WHY?

06-09-2016, 04:58 PM   #23
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Apparantly cars built on/after March 2008 have this "e-diff". Can't remember where i read that
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 08:57 PM   #24
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Carnes View Post
I never really tried stock, but tuned this car punishes the rear tires. There is 2 loooooooooong dark black stripes in front of my house that make me smirk each day I see them. As already stated, hold down the traction control button until you get the second disabled notice. Happy Driving!
Thanks, but I'm talking about something different. I'm not talking about laying down lots of rubber as you move forward. I've been leaving really long dual black rubber strips at the strip, with drag slicks on the rear, for way too long. But this is MUCH different than trying to heat up the tires IN the box, before launching, without going sideways or past the start line...

I'd like to find a way to allow a sustained wheel spin, with drag slicks (much different than road tires), that can be coded into the car.
Attached Images

06-10-2016, 02:33 PM   #25
Jay Carnes
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
Thanks, but I'm talking about something different. I'm not talking about laying down lots of rubber as you move forward. I've been leaving really long dual black rubber strips at the strip, with drag slicks on the rear, for way too long. But this is MUCH different than trying to heat up the tires IN the box, before launching, without going sideways or past the start line...

I'd like to find a way to allow a sustained wheel spin, with drag slicks (much different than road tires), that can be coded into the car.
Maybe JR (Jarek) has changed something with the his newer tunes? Stock if I stood on the brakes it would pull power about the time the car switched into 2nd. Almost felt like the car bogged down, but it was the computer pulling power.

Now that its tuned, I can get it to keep switching gears in place until you can't see from the smoke anymore. You can also walk it slowly on the brakes to further how ridiculous of "stripes" that you want to leave in front of your friends house as they egg you on (peer pressure gets ya!). I had some fun with the car before putting the new tires on, it does some giant John Force style smokey burn outs.

-Jay
      06-10-2016, 06:46 PM   #26
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Carnes View Post
Maybe JR (Jarek) has changed something with the his newer tunes? Stock if I stood on the brakes it would pull power about the time the car switched into 2nd. Almost felt like the car bogged down, but it was the computer pulling power.

Now that its tuned, I can get it to keep switching gears in place until you can't see from the smoke anymore. You can also walk it slowly on the brakes to further how ridiculous of "stripes" that you want to leave in front of your friends house as they egg you on (peer pressure gets ya!). I had some fun with the car before putting the new tires on, it does some giant John Force style smokey burn outs.

-Jay
That's significantly different behavior than I have at the track with slicks. Also, I've had an Evolve, Ecotune, and several versions of Jarek's remaps and none of them would allow that behavior. I'd wager it's something else other than the engine tune.
      06-10-2016, 09:21 PM   #27
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

I don't know that I buy the e diff theory on this, if it was that you really shouldn't have any issue if you're getting both tires lit up since there wouldn't be a wheel speed difference. This wouldn't be the first car I've seen that is tuned to just not allow standing burnouts, 350z's of various years also have that and I'm sure there are others. On those if you pull the right brake fuse you can do standing burnouts all night.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 10:12 PM   #28
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
I don't know that I buy the e diff theory on this, if it was that you really shouldn't have any issue if you're getting both tires lit up since there wouldn't be a wheel speed difference. This wouldn't be the first car I've seen that is tuned to just not allow standing burnouts, 350z's of various years also have that and I'm sure there are others. On those if you pull the right brake fuse you can do standing burnouts all night.
Yeah, I don't think it's the e-diff. I'm guessing its the "Engine power Reduction (prevent brake disc overheating by reducing engine power)" coding. The link from above (http://www.onelapx1.com/blog/how-to-...w-actually-fun) describes this, and other nannies, and how they interfere with things, even when you "turn off" all the nannies by holding down the DTC button for the required time.

Also spent some time today reading other BMW model owners experiences with this same issue when trying to do a burnout. What's interesting is that within the same model class (335i, 135i, etc.) some owners seem to be able to do it while others will suffer the power reduction after a very brief spin. Which is what my car does. It'll start to spin fine, but if I keep enough brake pressure applied to keep the car from moving forward, the engine cuts power (I can reduce brake pressure and let the car move forward and it will keep spinning, but that's not what I want for warming up the tires in the box).

Here's an example thread with some links to youtube video's on how they are coding out some of these traction/safety nannies: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=944126
      06-11-2016, 02:09 AM   #29
SoZoX
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d

Same here mine is from 2010 and running now superchips map 342 hp 670nm. I turn TC off (holding it down) from 0-100 if road is dry and warm no wheel spin. It should break the traction easy, but I know certain roads where there is some dust and dirt on the road I keep TC on there, but see TC turning on in 1/2 gear once or twice 3. So car is generating enough power but something is definitely holding it back. I can feel it when launching that brakes are applied or!??. But again 9 out of 10 launches are almost perfect and making me better driver so not complaining.

This is old map 320hp 650nm TC never blinks once full throttle.

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 10:15 AM   #30
Jay Carnes
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
That's significantly different behavior than I have at the track with slicks. Also, I've had an Evolve, Ecotune, and several versions of Jarek's remaps and none of them would allow that behavior. I'd wager it's something else other than the engine tune.

That is weird. If it matters, my build date is 06/09 and my car does not go into any "reduced engine power" mode even if I sit in place on the brakes where as it did before I had it tuned.
      06-14-2016, 01:28 PM   #31
briansjacobs
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 740i sport, E30 328

Garage List
2010 335d  [0.00]
1987 325(ISH)  [0.00]
2001 740I  [0.00]
funny, in the rain at 60 I can barely touch the throttle without the DSC light flashing like there is a rave in the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 03:02 PM   #32
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

The issue TDIwyse has seen has to do with having your foot on the brake and gas at the same time, burnouts with your foot off the brake dont sound like theyre an issue. This is pretty common from what Ive found in newer cars, two foot driving is not allowed.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 04:03 PM   #33
shnaggs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TDi

I know the tdi's will completely defuel if they see throttle and the brake light switch at the same time. What if we disconnected the brake light switch at the strip?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 09:45 PM   #34
Adieu
First Lieutenant
Rep

at least go DTC, if not full nanny-off
launch in DS
flick into DS for kickdown effects
row thru manual gears or DS-D-DS-D-etc to force shiftpoints
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 09:54 PM   #35
Adieu
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrysing View Post
Tires make a big difference too in the spin capability.

My daughter's 335d has DriveGuards and it spins pretty easily.

My 335d has MPSS and it's much harder to get mine to spin.
used stealership put on chinese 19" iMoves - trashed em in 8k, wheelspin galore, torque induced powerslides shifting around in DTC, tires discarded when they went to bare mesh

fun but rough

Pirelli NeroGTs 235/35/19 & 265/30/19, nonflats? Almost TOO civilized
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 09:58 PM   #36
Adieu
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansjacobs View Post
funny, in the rain at 60 I can barely touch the throttle without the DSC light flashing like there is a rave in the car.
buy REAL tires.... no traction 1A rated allseason rfts are NOT real tires

AAA, summer, low treadwear numbers, non-rft
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 01:17 PM   #37
Got-Torque
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D M-sport

Garage List
Yesterday I attempted a John Force style burnout with the TC disabled (held button down for a couple seconds...got the message). Started in manual 2nd, got the tires going and spun the car about 180 degrees around when it cut all power and ended my burnout for me. I was not touching the brake at all once I got going...

Is this a sensed "loss of control" power reduction or do the JR tunes have something built in to cut power for some other reason?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 01:56 PM   #38
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got-Torque View Post
Yesterday I attempted a John Force style burnout with the TC disabled (held button down for a couple seconds...got the message). Started in manual 2nd, got the tires going and spun the car about 180 degrees around when it cut all power and ended my burnout for me. I was not touching the brake at all once I got going...

Is this a sensed "loss of control" power reduction or do the JR tunes have something built in to cut power for some other reason?
My understanding is that even with all traction control off, the e-diff is still active. Your burnout probably freaked out the system and it shut ya down. In addition, the DSC module records a shadow fault if it is active too much. "Excessive DSC actuation resulting in probable high brake fluid temps - vehicle power reduced" Only way to know the code exists is to scan for it, it doesn't illuminate any warnings.

I had this happen at an autocross last year. Plus last week I was trying a few burnouts (was getting new rear tires, so why not burn off the old?) I could not get the car to do a fun burnout. For whatever reason, the 335d just does not excel at burnouts.
      04-10-2017, 02:26 PM   #39
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

Id guess yours, since it sounds like you were not hitting the brake, was some kind of lost control interruption. Many have also had issue with trying to do a burnout with the brake on but had issues even with DSC off. This is some kind of hooligan preventative that a bunch of new cars (within the past 10+ years) have, not sure there is any other way to describe it. Based on the excessively long burnouts I have managed at the track with DSC all the way off the car doesnt seem to limit burnouts if youre not on the brake at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 03:03 PM   #40
Got-Torque
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
My understanding is that even with all traction control off, the e-diff is still active. Your burnout probably freaked out the system and it shut ya down. In addition, the DSC module records a shadow fault if it is active too much. "Excessive DSC actuation resulting in probable high brake fluid temps - vehicle power reduced" Only way to know the code exists is to scan for it, it doesn't illuminate any warnings.

I had this happen at an autocross last year. Plus last week I was trying a few burnouts (was getting new rear tires, so why not burn off the old?) I could not get the car to do a fun burnout. For whatever reason, the 335d just does not excel at burnouts.
I just did a search and some reading on the e-diff, it probably saw a speed differential between the two rear wheels at some point and shut it down. Another reason for a limited slip differential in the rear I guess...
Appreciate 0