E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > how much power can the AT hold?

05-25-2013, 02:07 AM   #23
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
Dude are you high or just being obtuse?

Unflashed stock trans + high TQ = bad, lots of wear/damage on internal components leading to possible eventual failure, many cases of this

Flashing this type of abused trans AFTER lots of TQ put through it, no conclusions can be drawn as to flash mitigating failures. Because the trans has been subjected to prolonged high TQ levels and may be damaged already.

However, flashing VIRGIN trans and THEN running high TQ through it, we have ZERO data on. It MAY mitigate failures. Flash has only been available couple of months tops whereas most high TQ AT cars have been high TQ for longer time than that (like Terry's).

Jeez. All I am saying is we do not know anything yet about how the Alpina flash does on a VIRGIN trans running high TQ. All other trans have been thrashed W/O flash, then flashed.

edit: Also as far as I know Alpina did not see the need to beef up 6HP21 internals on the B3, they are usually pretty crazy about hardware.
Slow down hot shot... No one is saying you're wrong. We beat the shit out of our cars and then wonder why they break...

I also know how long the flash has been out in North America because I was the first one here to flash my car...

It's not rocket science. I'm sure a new transmission with the flash will last longer because you are subjecting the transmission to less slippage over time, but it's mechanical and prone to failure just like everything else we abuse beyond the limits of it original design.

For the 99% of people on this forum who make less than 500 wtq, this flash will put a smile on your face and keep you smiling for many years to come. No one is saying it's a fix all. We know this transmission even with the flash won't handle 500 wtq and 600+ whp. So if that's the point your making +1...

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 05:55 AM   #24
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeSmooth View Post
I have been running the Alpina flash and various incarnations of it since 2009. At 54,000km and around 30,000km on RB's my tranny has slower shifts and has been affected by the odd 470whp I use.
Wow I had no idea it has been around that long. Just to clarify you did the engine mods after the Alpina flash?

Also what were the various iterations of the flash?

Finally how hard did you drive it until it started acting up, and what did you do to fix it if anything? Thx.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 06:03 AM   #25
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post
Slow down hot shot... No one is saying you're wrong. We beat the shit out of our cars and then wonder why they break...

I also know how long the flash has been out in North America because I was the first one here to flash my car...

It's not rocket science. I'm sure a new transmission with the flash will last longer because you are subjecting the transmission to less slippage over time, but it's mechanical and prone to failure just like everything else we abuse beyond the limits of it original design.

For the 99% of people on this forum who make less than 500 wtq, this flash will put a smile on your face and keep you smiling for many years to come. No one is saying it's a fix all. We know this transmission even with the flash won't handle 500 wtq and 600+ whp. So if that's the point your making +1...

OK truce I think it is safe to say no one has yet put together a solution with a proper flash AND compatible properly built-up internals to reliably handle over 500 WTQ. Which is weird.

Also weird is the 517 build failing immediately, I thought the excuse given was a bit lame. Like "oh you meant 700 wheel HP?" Face it a reliable 700HP crank HP tranny would still be a major improvement and I would not expect it to blow up so fast.

I would guess this means that any build up needs its own software to work right, but who knows. Seems like all this is taking waaay too long.

edit: and back to my original point/question, the Alpina flash (current version I guess) takes a virgin OEM stock AT to what level of TQ reliability? Is it 450, 500, 600? No one knows. Also unknown are the internal failure modes under these conditions. Eg would a "better" flash eliminate/mitigate them? Maybe the Alpina does only to 400WTQ. Or are the hard parts just too weak? Probably need to upgrade internals and software but which pieces (aside from "everything") and what software again unknown.

Last edited by ajsalida; 05-25-2013 at 06:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 09:09 AM   #26
GeorgeSmooth
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i AT

Quote:
Wow I had no idea it has been around that long. Just to clarify you did the engine mods after the Alpina flash?

Also what were the various iterations of the flash?

Finally how hard did you drive it until it started acting up, and what did you do to fix it if anything? Thx.
The gearbox per se does not have a symptom but the changes are not as snappy as they used to be.

Changes to the flash have been made changing characteristics of change and torque lock up.

I drive the car hard with around 530ft lb often so I would it say its most abused.
      05-25-2013, 09:14 AM   #27
GeorgeSmooth
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeenon53 View Post
Can you elaborate? How much wtq are you putting down? I would love to upgrade to a set of RBs but refuse to until there is a viable solution for the AT.
Around 530 ft lb. I would not let the gearbox hold me back for a set of RB's. You can use less boost midrange and save the box with the benefit of the higher rpm.
I do not think the Alpina file is the cats whiskers in terms of the saving grace of the gearboxes but I am sure it does assist in the longevity of the box and every bit counts.
What is more important is that it increases the line pressure per nm the dme sees over the stock TCU file and thats where the piggy backs have a issue as the gearbox in my opinion does not see the loads its meant to see to adjust line pressure accordingly.
      05-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #28
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OK truce I think it is safe to say no one has yet put together a solution with a proper flash AND compatible properly built-up internals to reliably handle over 500 WTQ. Which is weird.

Also weird is the 517 build failing immediately, I thought the excuse given was a bit lame. Like "oh you meant 700 wheel HP?" Face it a reliable 700HP crank HP tranny would still be a major improvement and I would not expect it to blow up so fast.

I would guess this means that any build up needs its own software to work right, but who knows. Seems like all this is taking waaay too long.

edit: and back to my original point/question, the Alpina flash (current version I guess) takes a virgin OEM stock AT to what level of TQ reliability? Is it 450, 500, 600? No one knows. Also unknown are the internal failure modes under these conditions. Eg would a "better" flash eliminate/mitigate them? Maybe the Alpina does only to 400WTQ. Or are the hard parts just too weak? Probably need to upgrade internals and software but which pieces (aside from "everything") and what software again unknown.
We'll, I spoke with Prem (Sihk335) and they should have something soon from the hardware side of things. Hopefully the clutch packs will hold this time around. If so, it's going to be one STUPID fast e92. I drove it the day before Shift Sector in April after I reset adaptations, but even after going through a few drive cycles, the clutch packs wouldn't hold.

On a side note, I'll be happy for Prem if he can get this resolved and he's able to actually enjoy his car. I can say there won't be much on the road today that will keep up. I look for this car to smash Shiv's 60-130 with ease. But in all honesty, for a daily driver, most people won't want to spend the money on a big turbo kit and built transmission. Not when you can buy a set of RB's and a used transmission with 30k for under $1500... I think a good transmission and a set of RB's for a daily driver is rock solid @ 500 whp and 500 wtq give or take a few hp/tq. But for the 1% who want to go the extra mile, I truly hope 517 knocks it out of the park with this build. It has sure taken them long enough to figure this out.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #29
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Around 530 ft lb. I would not let the gearbox hold me back for a set of RB's. You can use less boost midrange and save the box with the benefit of the higher rpm.
I do not think the Alpina file is the cats whiskers in terms of the saving grace of the gearboxes but I am sure it does assist in the longevity of the box and every bit counts.
What is more important is that it increases the line pressure per nm the dme sees over the stock TCU file and thats where the piggy backs have a issue as the gearbox in my opinion does not see the loads its meant to see to adjust line pressure accordingly.
If I'm not mistaken, I think that's one of the things Terry has been doing on the back end COBB flash. I spoke with Dzenno and he said they have a few tweaks they are doing which make it hold better on the JB cars. I agree, making big power with a piggy back has it's issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 09:09 PM   #30
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The gearbox per se does not have a symptom but the changes are not as snappy as they used to be.

Changes to the flash have been made changing characteristics of change and torque lock up.

I drive the car hard with around 530ft lb often so I would it say its most abused.
Lost track of this thread. Another few Q on the alpina flash on your trans. It is slower shifting but is it slipping? Any errors/warnings?

Have you done a fluid/filter change yet?

You didn't answer before but want to be clear, did you flash the tranny BEFORE doing engine mods?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 05:44 AM   #31
GeorgeSmooth
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Lost track of this thread. Another few Q on the alpina flash on your trans. It is slower shifting but is it slipping? Any errors/warnings?

Have you done a fluid/filter change yet?

You didn't answer before but want to be clear, did you flash the tranny BEFORE doing engine mods?

Thanks.
No faults but slower shifting with no slippage unless I use the nitrous.
Haven't changed fluid.
When I did the tranny the car was on 12,000km FBO no RB.
      05-28-2013, 05:58 AM   #32
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
unless I use the nitrous.
LOL

Shifts may improve if you do a fluid/filter change.

Thx.
Appreciate 0