E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > One Frustrated V2er

02-04-2008, 02:50 PM   #23
MrRipfrog
Another
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vespa GTS

I do have the factory oil cooler installed. And while the problem may be elevated with heat, limp mode definitely occurs when the engine is cool. Of course I don't floor it when the engine's cold but when I was recording my datalogs, the engine had not yet reached full operating temperature and limp mode was induced in 3rd gear and not 2nd. When the engine was at operating temperature, limp mode was induced in 2nd gear. All at redline.

So while temperature is a factor in this equation and all of the above mentioned very good performance options, the root of the problem still resides and I believe it has to do with my finicky car and the tune itself. Like Shiv mentioned earlier, he has something for me. Hopefully it works!
      02-04-2008, 03:48 PM   #24
tmw139
Don't Question Me
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Enzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
hi there... I do have a fix for you. Unfortunately Im in LA right now and I won't be able to email it to you until I get my laptop hooked up to an Internet connectio (I'm on my phone right now). I tried to email it to you yesterday early morning before I left for LA but my network at home was down. Please Pm me you email addy and I can send you something tomorrow.

Shiv
Has this happened yet?

I am having the same issue with my 535i.

I had to use the LBT map with 1.47 too, not sure if this would be related as V2 was supposed to treat the limp issue at redline differently than V1.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2008, 04:04 PM   #25
Vince@ V K Motorwerks
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 01 Black 911 Turbo, 09 X5

Tried something last night seem to work for a little bit only got 2 limp modes out of like 6-10pulls on top of 3rd gear. I started my tq settings at 90 up to 6000 RPM's then dropped it to 80% from 6000-8000rpms. The car still pulled strong but no limps until my oil temps were at 270 that from me doing these pulls from 90-100 back down to 85-100 down to 85-100 back to back a whole bunch of times. once I got to 270 the limp mode happened twice. Let the car cool down to 210 then no problems however, we started to get snow flurries so I called it a night. Too cold and foggy to try today have to wait until the weather reaches in the 40's again.

HERES ANOTHER THEORY OF MINE: could it be possiable that very cold temps entereing the temps could be causeing the misfires. Im not a tuner but could it be possiable that that density of cold air in 40 degrees or below could be too dense to the point where the fuel and spark may have to be modified?

ALSO a question for the guys with the issue. DO YOU HAVE SPORTS PACKAGE ON YOUR CARS? I dont thats why im asking.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2008, 05:16 PM   #26
MrRipfrog
Another
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw139 View Post
Has this happened yet?

I had to use the LBT map with 1.47 too, not sure if this would be related as V2 was supposed to treat the limp issue at redline differently than V1.
Not yet. Shiv is supposed to get back into town tomorrow (Tuesday).
      02-04-2008, 05:18 PM   #27
MrRipfrog
Another
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown335i View Post
ALSO a question for the guys with the issue. DO YOU HAVE SPORTS PACKAGE ON YOUR CARS? I dont thats why im asking.
I do have the sports package.
      02-04-2008, 06:08 PM   #28
tmw139
Don't Question Me
Rep

Quote:
Tried something last night seem to work for a little bit only got 2 limp modes out of like 6-10pulls on top of 3rd gear. I started my tq settings at 90 up to 6000 RPM's then dropped it to 80% from 6000-8000rpms. The car still pulled strong but no limps until my oil temps were at 270 that from me doing these pulls from 90-100 back down to 85-100 down to 85-100 back to back a whole bunch of times. once I got to 270 the limp mode happened twice. Let the car cool down to 210 then no problems however, we started to get snow flurries so I called it a night. Too cold and foggy to try today have to wait until the weather reaches in the 40's again.
The limp modes on my car seem to be temperature related as well. Usually no limp modes unless pushing the car hard for an extended period of time.

I run 93 octane and have the settings at 92% across the board.

Quote:
I have the sport automatic with sport package.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2008, 07:08 PM   #29
Vince@ V K Motorwerks
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 01 Black 911 Turbo, 09 X5

Hmmm...Okay another question, If the issue turns out to be boost related, Is there anyway to make our cars handle boost better or more efficently? I had V1.47 but the LBT map and It solved my issue. However, even if I have 80% tq across the board I still have the same issue, but the weird thing is that my boost is higher at 80% then at 92%, WTF?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2008, 07:27 PM   #30
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
Has this happened yet?

1/ why did u have to use the LBT map, were u at very high altitude??
and except for limiting max boost pressure, how does the LBT map differ from the regular map??
2/ the max sea level boost of proceeed is like 15psi, what is it on the LBT map?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2008, 07:38 PM   #31
tmw139
Don't Question Me
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife View Post
1/ why did u have to use the LBT map, were u at very high altitude??
and except for limiting max boost pressure, how does the LBT map differ from the regular map??
2/ the max sea level boost of proceeed is like 15psi, what is it on the LBT map?

thanks
1/ I used the LBT map with 1.47 to avoid the limp mode at the top of the rev range right before the shift. I am not at high altitude at all (Maryland).

I don't believe the LBT map differed at all from the regular map besides slightly lowering the boost pressure at the top of the rev range (~0.5 psi).

2/ We are allowed to shoot for a maximum of 15 psi by adjusting the torque settings of V2, yes.

V1.47 did not have adjustable torque settings, thus the second 1.47LBT map which tapered boost to a greater extent at the top of the rev range.

I believe the max boost of 1.47 was somewhere around 11 or 12 psi.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2008, 09:00 PM   #32
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Talking Maryland? But you said you are in Afghanistan driving an Enzo Ferrari getting limp?

Quote:
1/ I used the LBT map with 1.47 to avoid the limp mode at the top of the rev range right before the shift. I am not at high altitude at all (Maryland).

I don't believe the LBT map differed at all from the regular map besides slightly lowering the boost pressure at the top of the rev range (~0.5 psi).

2/ We are allowed to shoot for a maximum of 15 psi by adjusting the torque settings of V2, yes.

V1.47 did not have adjustable torque settings, thus the second 1.47LBT map which tapered boost to a greater extent at the top of the rev range.

I believe the max boost of 1.47 was somewhere around 11 or 12 psi.
It says right there on your signature. You are in Afghanistan, blasting around Kabul in you Ferrari Enzo. Now you are suffering limp mode? Are you sure you didn't piss off someone who decided to put some mule pee in your gass tank?
      02-04-2008, 10:28 PM   #33
tmw139
Don't Question Me
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vase330 View Post
It says right there on your signature. You are in Afghanistan, blasting around Kabul in you Ferrari Enzo. Now you are suffering limp mode? Are you sure you didn't piss off someone who decided to put some mule pee in your gass tank?
Ah, but it's VP109 Race Mule Pee... Unleaded, of course.
Appreciate 0