E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > UPDATE: WTF is wrong with my steering?

08-06-2023, 11:10 PM   #23
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Did you ever resolve this? I have a similar issue, first observed as sloppy steering and a bouncy/wobbly feeling over rough roads. I have this clicking sound and free play on my 335.

My 330 feels solid with zero play and zero clicking or slop.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 11:20 PM   #24
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

lowrydr310 Sadly not yet. But I have reached out to a well-regarded indy and am waiting to hear back. (They shut down for two weeks every summer and will be back on Tuesday.)

Considering I’ve replaced practically every part that could cause what I’m experiencing, I feel like I’m too close to the situation now and could benefit from an outside perspective. I’ve checked everything I can think of, but maybe the problem is right under my nose and I’m just not seeing it.

My fear is that my reman rack is the issue. But I’m still having a hard time coming to terms with that, since the rack it replaced didn’t feel much different. Yet another reason I want a third party to take a look at it—I want to be SURE if I’m gonna warranty the rack and go through the time and expense (alignment…) of replacing it.

Let’s keep in touch on this. Hoping to have it booked in soon and will update this thread when I have news!
      09-10-2024, 06:45 AM   #25
R_S
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E90

Hi people.

I would like to pick this thread to resolve a similar issue I'm facing. After a lot of engine work (rod bearings etc) my steering became very heavy and was binding after each half turn. I changed my steering u-joint shaft, and it became somewhat better but still not close to normal.

When I attached the upper u-joint to the splines of the steering column, I noticed that the steering column end rotated in an oval pattern. Is it supposed to be like this, or should it rotate perfectly centered?

Since I never removed the steering rack from the subframe nor the u-joint shaft when working on my engine, I'm wondering if the hanging subframe could have bent something in the steering column?

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2024, 07:12 AM   #26
Ohio Enthusiast
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 E93 335i, '18 BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_S View Post
When I attached the upper u-joint to the splines of the steering column, I noticed that the steering column end rotated in an oval pattern. Is it supposed to be like this, or should it rotate perfectly centered?
I'm not an expert, but I believe this is normal and due to the U-joint.
Appreciate 0