E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Laser Jammer worth buying on LI?

01-14-2010, 10:51 PM   #23
wesborl898
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

LMK if u need help install and stuff.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 10:56 PM   #24
RANJHA
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
No, they are completely legal.

Laser/Radar detectors: legal
Laser jammers: legal
Radar jammers: illegal
Increasingly more states are making the laser jammers illegal. In my home state (Illinois) they used to be legal until recently. Before you drop $500 on a system, be sure theres no legislation/talks of legislation against them.

That said, my personal experience is that the Blinder is superior to the K40-style jammers.
      01-14-2010, 11:13 PM   #25
328i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANJHA View Post
Increasingly more states are making the laser jammers illegal. In my home state (Illinois) they used to be legal until recently. Before you drop $500 on a system, be sure theres no legislation/talks of legislation against them.

That said, my personal experience is that the Blinder is superior to the K40-style jammers.
Laser jammer? What laser jammer..It's a parking aid officer.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 08:35 AM   #26
335iLI
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

I have been driving with my passport 9500xi for 2 months and have only been hit by a laser once on 83. cop had a good hiding spot thank god for the passport or i would have been screwed. plus a cop can estimate how fast you are going to just be sight.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 09:54 AM   #27
Heartless
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer335i07 View Post
Remember they can also give you a ticket by pacing your speed. It's always going to be your word against the officer's.

GL! And be careful out there.
pacing my speed? WTF does that mean....
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 11:01 AM   #28
RevC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: a couple fast toys

a cop cannot give you a ticket by sight unless he is driving behind you at a given speed for a quarter mile, in the state of nj i know it is required to provide a meter readout when requested.

SGM e92 335xi|Helix|AFE|AWE|PROCEDE|SYNAPSE|ER|OSS|BMW PERFORMANCE|P3|always growing..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 11:13 AM   #29
Andrew9931
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3

NYPD HWY is qualified to do visual speed estimation. This involves looking at two stationary points such as light poles and estimating your speed. It holds up in court. Pacing involves driving behind you for a certain distance and recording the average. This also holds up in court assuming the RMP's speedo was recently calibrated and has the appropriate service records. Theres also unsafe start if you speed off when the light turns green, its called imprudent speed. Laser jammers and radar detectors can't always save you.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 11:49 AM   #30
LostMarine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Lying Vendors Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVM3NYC View Post
NYPD HWY is qualified to do visual speed estimation. This involves looking at two stationary points such as light poles and estimating your speed. It holds up in court. Pacing involves driving behind you for a certain distance and recording the average. This also holds up in court assuming the RMP's speedo was recently calibrated and has the appropriate service records. Theres also unsafe start if you speed off when the light turns green, its called imprudent speed. Laser jammers and radar detectors can't always save you.
nope.. the human eye cannot be calibrated. they cannot "estimate" your speed..thats BS
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 01:48 PM   #31
335iLI
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMarine View Post
nope.. the human eye cannot be calibrated. they cannot "estimate" your speed..thats BS
I hate to break it to u but they can. Called my uncle suffolk county cop they get certified to tell ur speed. They are certified to tell between plus and minus what ever they are certified for. I think plus or minus 5 mph He also said that the courts would rather them pace u. But sight will hold up in court.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 08:29 PM   #32
RANJHA
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iLI View Post
I hate to break it to u but they can. Called my uncle suffolk county cop they get certified to tell ur speed. They are certified to tell between plus and minus what ever they are certified for. I think plus or minus 5 mph He also said that the courts would rather them pace u. But sight will hold up in court.
wow that sucks
      01-17-2010, 09:01 PM   #33
LostMarine
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANJHA View Post
wow that sucks
and not true...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 01:16 AM   #34
JerzeySux
UrMother
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 335xiE92

Pacing is nothing. Just call to go to court and tell the prosecutor that the cop was wrong and i never recall going that speed.
99% cops wont show up to court and case will be dismissed. I did this 4 times from pacing tickets and same outcome every time. One time the prosecutor dismissed it at the spot and told me to go in court and judge dismissed it right there.
So pacing is VERY EASY to beat.

Visual ticket LOL is just funny. Ill laugh at the cop and see him in court.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 10:39 AM   #35
335iLI
Captain
Rep

Quote:
and not true...
It def is true. I even confirmed it with my neighbor who is a police officer also. Not sure where your from but here in suffolk county they can.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 03:00 PM   #36
JerzeySux
UrMother
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 335xiE92

Quote:
It def is true. I even confirmed it with my neighbor who is a police officer also. Not sure where your from but here in suffolk county they can.
Asshole cops CAN do anything. But that shit wont hold up in court with only that word saying i saw him go 200mph. If they have evidence like people reporting racing/speeding or getting you on dash cam and etc than they can probably get you but just saying u were going this speed with no other proof is HARD to hold against in court.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 03:08 PM   #37
LostMarine
Banned
Rep

Quote:
get him to tell you the name of this certification.. he can't cause it doesn't exist. police have a hard enough time in court over LIDAR and RADAR, whcih have to be calibrated so often, used in certain weather conditions, at cartain distances, etc.. do you think a cop can prove he "visually calculated" my speed? get the name of the certification.. your police friends are yanking your chain, as they usually do
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 05:51 PM   #38
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

While I do believe that they are trained for visual speed estimation, I don't think it would hold up in court very well if they have no other proof - especially if you have a good attorney.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 06:11 PM   #39
LostMarine
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJP View Post
While I do believe that they are trained for visual speed estimation, I don't think it would hold up in court very well if they have no other proof - especially if you have a good attorney.
I would just tell the officer to tell me how fast the tennis ball is moving then.. similar to this:

[u2b] <object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mWjL0ZbLDaM&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&co lor2=0x999999&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mWjL0ZbLDaM&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&co lor2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object> [/u2b]
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 08:41 PM   #40
RevC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
and not true...
+1, and i just confirmed this with my cop buddy that there is no such certification, not only is that impossible to prove in court, but he has also told me how much difficulty he has in proving speed using LIDAR radar systems, which need to be calibrated perfectly and many times the defendent will ask to see calibration records of the gun. in order to issue a citation there must be evidence of excessive speed, it would never hold up in court. think about it.

SGM e92 335xi|Helix|AFE|AWE|PROCEDE|SYNAPSE|ER|OSS|BMW PERFORMANCE|P3|always growing..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 10:36 PM   #41
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

Really impressive.

Looks like I'll be going with the LI once cashflow starts picking up.

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 10:47 AM   #42
335iLI
Captain
Rep

Quote:
get him to tell you the name of this certification.. he can't cause it doesn't exist. police have a hard enough time in court over LIDAR and RADAR, whcih have to be calibrated so often, used in certain weather conditions, at cartain distances, etc.. do you think a cop can prove he "visually calculated" my speed? get the name of the certification.. your police friends are yanking your chain, as they usually do
Did some research:

First, as a certified radar operator, part of the training includes a practical exercise on estimating speeds of vehicles. This is conducted in both the moving and stationary mode. I require my students to be able to estimate vehicle speed to within 2 mph of the actual speed of the vehicle. They do this 20 times each for moving and stationary. I average all the results. The officer can then testify to to a vehicles speed due to his/her estimation. ***I do not need a speed measuring device to write you a ticket. My observation of your speed is my reason for the stop. The radar/lidar/pace are only tools to verify my observation.***

All radar certification courses are identical or closely based upon the NHTSA course. It has been recognized in every state in the US as being sufficient to use radar/lidar.

Guys not saying it will hold up in court but if you search online there are numerous people that have been given tickets and have been found guilty based on visual estimates. Just want to give you the heads up if you still dont believe it that is fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 12:46 PM   #43
RevC
Lieutenant General
Rep

i don't believe it because i have experienced it first hand through speeding violations back in the day, where a cop claimed i was driving wrecklessly and used "visual estimation" to determine that i was speeding. it did NOT hold up in court, my case was thrown out and i paid a 33 dollar court fee and left with a smirk on my face. that is why when i say it does not hold up in court, i mean it, i am not just here to bull shit people. i talk from experience. everyone's case is different though and many people don't know their rights, thats how the judicial system will fuck you. when you don't ask questions you leave yourself vulnerable to be viciously fucked by the law, ask questions. you and the officer are both there to argue your point. if you feel like you need evidence, request it. if it was refused at time of ticket issuance, which mine was ( cop did NOT provide me with any record of excessive speed other than seeing it and refused to provide me with any documentation, btw i was 4mph over the limit), its arguable. it will come down to his word vs. yours so if you don't come prepared with a valid argument be prepared to lose. without physical evidence to prove an observation of excessive speed, i.e calibration records, meter readouts, it can be fought in your favor. take a second to think about it. case closed.

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 01:39 PM   #44
335iLI
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevC View Post
i don't believe it because i have experienced it first hand through speeding violations back in the day, where a cop claimed i was driving wrecklessly and used "visual estimation" to determine that i was speeding. it did NOT hold up in court, my case was thrown out and i paid a 33 dollar court fee and left with a smirk on my face. that is why when i say it does not hold up in court, i mean it, i am not just here to bull shit people. i talk from experience. everyone's case is different though and many people don't know their rights, thats how the judicial system will fuck you. when you don't ask questions you leave yourself vulnerable to be viciously fucked by the law, ask questions. you and the officer are both there to argue your point. if you feel like you need evidence, request it. if it was refused at time of ticket issuance, which mine was ( cop did NOT provide me with any record of excessive speed other than seeing it and refused to provide me with any documentation, btw i was 4mph over the limit), its arguable. it will come down to his word vs. yours so if you don't come prepared with a valid argument be prepared to lose. without physical evidence to prove an observation of excessive speed, i.e calibration records, meter readouts, it can be fought in your favor. take a second to think about it. case closed.
I agree with you but they will try to use that visual crap with you it does exist and if you don't argue it right in court like you did you will get a ticket. Its just annoying that people say that they cant do it when they can. It just want hold up in court if you know what you are talking about.
Appreciate 0