Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by soflacarguy View Post
What if I'm jamming to music, having a deep convo with a passenger, or on a conference call for work…."can I call you right back need to adjust my thermostat…" :

do we know already if the new improved (over previous idrive versions) Intelligent Personal Assistant software cannot properly filter all these scenarios and still control everything successfully as you command it ? I would also like to know this, because if yes...then this will be big.
We already know that the new improved Intelligent Personal Assistant can successfully locate exactly from which passenger of the vehicle the voice command is coming from and change the controls in the car just for that particular passenger and not for everybody or the wrong passenger.
That is very cool!

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 08:43 AM   #134
GargoyleBWM
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Garage List
Just to add fuel to the fire on the button vs touch screen...
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2022/08...s-study-finds/

Me personally, I like the 'cockpit' feel of the iD7 in my '22 and the added 'feature' of the instrument cluster being shaded by the hood over the cluster.
The center info display is more central and the area in-between the two separate displays plus on the outside edges of the instrument cluster is about useless for the driver so the new iD8 has unused space.
That being said, this is the way manufacturers are going. It gives them and the user the flexibility of adjusting location for controls, features (apps), and it mirrors the modern migration to having touch screens everywhere (even on laptops that cannot fold flat and desktop computers??).
Maybe I am old-school but buttons are better--you can get used to their location, find them quickly, your finger moving around in a moving car does not interfere with the button location, and you do not need haptic feedback to know when the physical button is pressed. Are they more expensive and less flexible -- ya, sort of. E.g. I like how the '22 has a hover feature on each of the 1-8 user-programable buttons (nice!). If they had spent time expanding what could be programmed (like setting the car to sport mode, pulling up the sport displays on the CID, turning off the voice control and steering wheel buttons--all in one setting) then they would be better, by far, than a touch screen interface... but that is just my opinion.
Sure, all that could be done with the touch screen (it is simply software), but it just does not have the same feel.
Appreciate 3
      08-31-2022, 08:47 AM   #135
GargoyleBWM
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn M240i View Post
The steering wheel for ID8 has a physical heating steering wheel button, shown below.
So does my iD7 '22 M240i.

Edit: sorry, just noticed that is exactly what you were pointing out to the previous poster.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 08:50 AM   #136
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GargoyleBWM View Post
Just to add fuel to the fire on the button vs touch screen...
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2022/08...s-study-finds/

Me personally, I like the 'cockpit' feel of the iD7 in my '22 and the added 'feature' of the instrument cluster being shaded by the hood over the cluster.
The center info display is more central and the area in-between the two separate displays plus on the outside edges of the instrument cluster is about useless for the driver so the new iD8 has unused space.
That being said, this is the way manufacturers are going. It gives them and the user the flexibility of adjusting location for controls, features (apps), and it mirrors the modern migration to having touch screens everywhere (even on laptops that cannot fold flat and desktop computers??).
Maybe I am old-school but buttons are better--you can get used to their location, find them quickly, your finger moving around in a moving car does not interfere with the button location, and you do not need haptic feedback to know when the physical button is pressed. Are they more expensive and less flexible -- ya, sort of. E.g. I like how the '22 has a hover feature on each of the 1-8 user-programable buttons (nice!). If they had spent time expanding what could be programmed (like setting the car to sport mode, pulling up the sport displays on the CID, turning off the voice control and steering wheel buttons--all in one setting) then they would be better, by far, than a touch screen interface... but that is just my opinion.
Sure, all that could be done with the touch screen (it is simply software), but it just does not have the same feel.
Yes, you touched on something that made me realize a very important aesthetic (to me) that is missing in ID8. There is no cowl around the instrument cluster, which I think would take away much of the driver-oriented focus on the instrumentation.
      08-31-2022, 09:46 AM   #137
OriginalFake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsAndGuitars View Post
Yes, you touched on something that made me realize a very important aesthetic (to me) that is missing in ID8. There is no cowl around the instrument cluster, which I think would take away much of the driver-oriented focus on the instrumentation.
That's not iD8 though. That's just the screen implementation. Maybe BMW will change that in the future or maybe they won't but I don't think we can blame iD8 for that.
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2022, 09:48 AM   #138
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalFake View Post
That's not iD8 though. That's just the screen implementation. Maybe BMW will change that in the future or maybe they won't but I don't think we can blame iD8 for that.
Yes, I agree it is the implementation
      08-31-2022, 10:14 AM   #139
moominter
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

Anyone got a car with ID8 coming soon ? Our M240i is due to be built the end of September.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 10:29 AM   #140
KJ10
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by moominter View Post
Anyone got a car with ID8 coming soon ? Our M240i is due to be built the end of September.
I hope mine will be here soon, been waiting long enough. One just got delivered to someone they posted in another thread. See attached link

https://g42.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...938166&page=14
Appreciate 2
      08-31-2022, 12:33 PM   #141
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep

Here is a decent look at id8 on a 2023 m340

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 09:09 PM   #142
GargoyleBWM
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalFake View Post
Not sure that I agree with this claim. My understanding is that the iD7 interface is targeted at an ICD (Instrument Cluster Display) and a CID (Central Information Display) as two separate segments. While the iD8 is specifically designed for a single continuous display.

I could be mistaken on the underlying design elements but your argument seems to be a distinction without a difference.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 09:19 PM   #143
OriginalFake
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Not sure that I agree with this claim. My understanding is that the iD7 interface is targeted at an ICD (Instrument Cluster Display) and a CID (Central Information Display) as two separate segments. While the iD8 is specifically designed for a single continuous display.

I could be mistaken on the underlying design elements but your argument seems to be a distinction without a difference.
It might be designed for a single continuous display but everyone's complaint is that BMW just tacked it on. That has nothing to do with iD8. They could have designed a different way to build it into the dash including some kind of cowl.
Appreciate 1
eddj466.00
      08-31-2022, 11:08 PM   #144
jpcoop
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Quote:

It's not a single continuous display. It's two separate displays that do the exact same thing they did before, but they stuck them in one case. The two displays aren't even the same size.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2022, 05:23 AM   #145
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
The first BMW i3 came out in 2013 and the i8 in 2014 - that's 9 and 8 years ago, respectively.

The latest PR I've seen on the i3 announces it's end of production and - bizarrely - goes on about how it actually got more demand as time went on. So where's the production replacement in terms of innovative design? Nowhere.

Since 2013-14, they'd produced nothing as innovative in terms of exploiting the potential of electric drive components to change the shape and styling of the cars and nothing to exploit advances in display tech to change their interiors. BMW seems to have stood still, and all they're doing is taking ICE body designs as the basis for their EVs and the interiors get some stand-alone displays glued on to the fascia via a couple of struts.

I'm not anti flat screens, but they need to be integral to the fascia. And compared to the mock-ups of surface flexible displays like the Bosch, they look like miscellaneous tablets glued in as a quick fix.

I think that the latest generation of BMW EVs is going to look immediately dated and clunky if something like the iVision ever makes it into production, especially in coupé form and contains tech that's already available, like the Bosch Mobility Solution.

I appreciate that with moving vehicles there's a huge liability in terms of reliability and safety, so it takes a lot longer to integrate and test new technology. But it's been 9 years now since we saw the i3 and any innovation seem to be moving incredibly slowly.

Last edited by msej449; 09-05-2022 at 09:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 02:21 AM   #146
GargoyleBWM
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Here is a new video of the 2023 M240i w iD8...
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 10:20 AM   #147
Golddog
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 Alfa Romeo Stelvio

I will be taking delivery of a, just available, 2022 M240i in a couple weeks. I decided to go with the 2022 because 1) its available 2) a two week wait and 3) the B58. Prefer the ID7, but honestly could care less which one it had. For me its all about the sweet 6.
      09-13-2022, 10:23 AM   #148
IndyMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 VO 1 M/22 G42 Thundernight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddog View Post
I will be taking delivery of a, just available, 2022 M240i in a couple weeks. I decided to go with the 2022 because 1) its available 2) a two week wait and 3) the B58. Prefer the ID7, but honestly could care less which one it had. For me its all about the sweet 6.
Congrats! Specs?

"Before You, Lord, We Bow" - Francis Scott Key
Appreciate 1
Golddog566.50
      09-13-2022, 10:25 AM   #149
IndyMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 VO 1 M/22 G42 Thundernight

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike View Post
Congrats! Specs?
NM. Saw your post here

"Before You, Lord, We Bow" - Francis Scott Key
Appreciate 1
Golddog566.50
      09-13-2022, 03:00 PM   #150
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM240eye View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by azuki View Post
2022 2 series owners: ID8 looks like shit
2023 2 series owners: ID8 looks nice
Haha! You aren't wrong. I have a 22 with ID7. I prefer ID7 over 8. I have seen ID8 on other cars, and I don't mind it at all. However, my issue with it on the 2 is that it just doesn't look like it was thoughtfully deployed.
ID7 is VERY buggy!🤦🏻

Recently rented a 2022 G30 530i while on vacation and my first hand impressions of ID7 were leas than favorable. Carplay has an ugly tendency to crash several times for no reason. That just doesn't happen on my ancient ID6/Carplay in my '17 G30 530i.

ID6 may not look as nice but it was one heck of a solid iDrive implementation.

Looking forward to ID8.
I've had literally the complete opposite experience.

CarPlay in my '17 330i would freeze the entire screen, requiring me to hold the power button for 30 seconds to perform a reset. Sometimes it wouldn't connect to my phone for no reason. When you'd attempt to skip a track it would skip two almost every time. Most frustrating if all was when I would be driving with Waze on and it would just stop tracking that I was moving. When id open the map the icon would be miles away from where I was.

With iD7 in my M240 I have none of these issue. It works flawlessly. Every time I get in the car it connects and everything works as it should. Best of all, it's full screen.

Interesting how our experiences differ completely.
Appreciate 1
XC3LLR82062.50
      09-14-2022, 05:49 AM   #151
BobHen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 M240i

Quote:
IMO BMW gets away with some (and I’ll be kind here) questionable external and internal design choices because of their fantastic drive trains and handling.

My guess is that many buyers "put-up" with the questionable design elements to get the drive trains and handling. No one buys a BMW because they "absolutely love" the beaver tooth grill or the tacked-on to the dash ID-8 screens, etc. People just live with it. Just as you would be willing to do.

I’m also not a fan of the way ID-8 is tacked on but would also hold my nose because the drive train in my M240i is so great.

It’s too bad BMW doesn’t have the design sensibility of say Alpha Romeo and a few others.

Bob
Appreciate 1
Golddog566.50
      09-14-2022, 08:33 AM   #152
Golddog
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 Alfa Romeo Stelvio

I do like the my 2022 AR Stelvio Veloces interior!!!
      09-14-2022, 11:06 AM   #153
BobHen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 M240i

Quote:
I do like the my 2022 AR Stelvio Veloces interior!!!
The Alpha Romeo Giulia exterior and interior are also pretty sweet. Real dials for the tachometer and speedometer and integrated screens into the dash and those column paddle shifters, etc. Some reviewers have called the sedan's exterior downright sexy.

I test drove a Giulia and it had the best sporty handling of any car I have driven in that class including Jag, Audi and BMW. But it only had 280 HP and I wanted more (within my budget) this time around.

The 2022 BMW M240i just hit it out of the park.

Bob
Appreciate 1
Golddog566.50
      09-14-2022, 11:28 AM   #154
Thundernight
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240xi

Quote:
Congrats on finding a car! I remember when you said that you were giving up your search earlier in the year. Glad that everything is working out in the end!

You mention the B58. Is there a change happening to this engine in 2023, or are you simply referring to choosing the 6cyl over the 230i?
Appreciate 1
Golddog566.50