BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

03-03-2024, 11:54 AM   #67
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werkz12 View Post
What port? G87 was made in Mexico - doesnt stop at port like german cars coming to US, right?

And yes ALL panels read 7 to 11 on the example I just metered. I was shocked.

I hope all of your cars are perfect- Im not suggesting this is an issue on all g87 cars- however I suggest owners get a paint meter and look into it…when you go to sell down the line an enthusiast or dealer will call out the thick paint as respray or damage etc. Find out while you are under factory warranty and “if” your car doesn’t meter as it should well…

Ahhhh...how do you think it gets off the ship and put on a carrier to the dealership?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 02:03 PM   #68
Werkz12
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by iifymbro View Post
Mexico cars are shipped to ports via boat, the car you metered could've been damaged in transit and resprayed.

you sure your meter isn't malfunctioning or something lol, these cars are painted by state of the art robots I highly doubt they are whiffing thickness by 4 mills across different panels.
Perfectly calibrated and every other BMW in the dealership (made in germany) metered 4.6 consistently

Everyone here says “mine is great” but I have a feeling nobody has actually had a meter to it. This car appeared great too - just that the paint was twice as thick as it should be
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 02:21 PM   #69
iifymbro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M2

Quote:
Perfectly calibrated and every other BMW in the dealership (made in germany) metered 4.6 consistently

Everyone here says “mine is great” but I have a feeling nobody has actually had a meter to it. This car appeared great too - just that the paint was twice as thick as it should be
you keep saying made in germany like it means anything, not sure why you can't comprehend that it's robots building these cars and the ones in Mexico are equal to or better then the ones in germany....
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 02:46 PM   #70
akumachu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 M2, 2015 F22 228xi

I for one like my paint thicc.
The stitching for my seat frayed a week after I took delivery but was not big deal to me. I just pulled it off.

BMW had a rep called and specifically asked about how I felt about build quality so I told them that straight.

I understand the whole buying a German car that is made in Mexico fear. To me that is a bit old world thinking. Global economy is a thing believe it or not.

Do every single part of a BMW built in Germany made and sourced in metal and rubber from Germany? I doubt so.

Could a person of mexican heritage working inside a factory in Germany? I could totally see that. Does that make the car "less German"?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 03:24 PM   #71
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Quote:

Because who really cares? I've bought and sold over 40 vehicles in my lifetime and not once has anyone taken out a paint meter to check the paint thickness.
Appreciate 2
andrewr45.00
      03-03-2024, 03:49 PM   #72
dadjoker
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Mine is built better than the DB11 I had…
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 06:11 PM   #73
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

250 microns / 10 mils is a typical thickness for PPF plus paint (6+4mils)
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 06:30 PM   #74
xtougher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Click_ID View Post
Dude I totally take you up on that I am in Houston and Cedar park every other month for work.
I am SOOO late on this one, but you come to Cedar Park every month? in Central Texas? That's close to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akumachu View Post
I for one like my paint thicc.
Just thought this was funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
Because who really cares? I've bought and sold over 40 vehicles in my lifetime and not once has anyone taken out a paint meter to check the paint thickness.
Nor have I ever taken out a paint meter to check the paint thickness to determine whether I want to buy a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
250 microns / 10 mils is a typical thickness for PPF plus paint (6+4mils)
I wonder if he PPF'd his car and forgot. That would be IRONIC.
Appreciate 1
chris7197363.50
      03-03-2024, 09:25 PM   #75
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:

Yes, it is shipped by boat from Mexico even to the US.

4.5-4.8 as you can see here @ 1:52 -

Your car was resprayed.

This guy also had favorable comments:
Appreciate 1
Mr. Hankey1082.50
      03-03-2024, 10:27 PM   #76
geddylee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7, 2019 X5

I've driven 3 of them and am very impressed with the build quality. It was on par with 3 G05's I have owned. Essentially it's a non issue.
Appreciate 2
aerobod3707.50
chris7197363.50
      03-04-2024, 07:26 AM   #77
Zatellia
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 ZB (Manual)

Mine has been pretty good with the exception of missing the rear brake clips (rectified by the dealer) however there has been a strange pop or tick that sounds like it comes from the middle of the windshield but havent been able to pin point it yet, happened multiple times while driving everyday. Kinda sounds like a tiny rock hitting the windshield even though there is no other vehicle on the road nor trees or anything around when it happeneds.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 02:08 PM   #78
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
Are you on Spring Break or simply a mentally defective adult asshole?
His friends would leave him - so not on spring break(he has no friends)

Clearly mental

Not an adult

LOL
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2024, 09:27 AM   #79
Werkz12
Second Lieutenant
Rep

see attached screen shot (names redacted for privacy) showing what appears to be confirmation from BMW NA and the dealership of the saphire black cars impacted and painted twice due to faulty paint nozzles in the mexico plant - which is why the car I inspected metered as a full respray...again, worth checking your car to understand if you are impacted...BMW did not tell the dealers or the customers buying these impacted cars
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 09:50 AM   #80
Werkz12
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The issue with this and why owners should care is the following:

years down the road the buyer of one of these repainted cars takes the car to a dealer to trade in on a new M car or 911 or whatever…and the dealer says “im sorry this car has been re-painted, what happened?” The owner denies this having bought the car new and never having any paint work done.

But it doesn’t matter because the dealer still states “Im sorry your car is worth 30% less due to a respray”

Unsuspecting buyers (people on this forum) get hurt when these flaws are not disclosed. Intent of the original post was to inform the community.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 10:00 AM   #81
andrewr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3P, BMW M2

Quote:
What port? G87 was made in Mexico - doesnt stop at port like german cars coming to US, right?

And yes ALL panels read 7 to 11 on the example I just metered. I was shocked.

I hope all of your cars are perfect- Im not suggesting this is an issue on all g87 cars- however I suggest owners get a paint meter and look into it…when you go to sell down the line an enthusiast or dealer will call out the thick paint as respray or damage etc. Find out while you are under factory warranty and “if” your car doesn’t meter as it should well…
I’ve sold probably 5+ performance cars to dealers and/or privately over the last 15 years, and I’ve never once had anyone bring out a paint gauge to measure the paint thickness.

Maybe if it was a classic Ferrari or something really special, but I honestly cannot see anyone doing that with a mass production sports car
Appreciate 1
M2siast5947.50
      03-11-2024, 10:27 AM   #82
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewr View Post
I’ve sold probably 5+ performance cars to dealers and/or privately over the last 15 years, and I’ve never once had anyone bring out a paint gauge to measure the paint thickness.

Maybe if it was a classic Ferrari or something really special, but I honestly cannot see anyone doing that with a mass production sports car
Exactly, the used car manager looks at the vehicle for 10 seconds, maybe drives it, then tells you what they'll give you. They don't even look for scratches let alone check for paint thickness. My last 4 trade-ins were all done via me sending pics and specs to the dealer through email, and they sending me the offer. This poster is trying to make up an issue where there is none.
Appreciate 1
M2siast5947.50
      03-11-2024, 10:34 AM   #83
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Wouldn’t thicker paint be better?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 10:40 AM   #84
Werkz12
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
Wouldn’t thicker paint be better?
Those posting that this is a non-issue and that “thicker paint is better” have a lot to learn about diminished value.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 10:52 AM   #85
iifymbro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M2

Quote:
see attached screen shot (names redacted for privacy) showing what appears to be confirmation from BMW NA and the dealership of the saphire black cars impacted and painted twice due to faulty paint nozzles in the mexico plant - which is why the car I inspected metered as a full respray...again, worth checking your car to understand if you are impacted...BMW did not tell the dealers or the customers buying these impacted cars
I mean it's kinda messed up they didn't just scrap those chassis after the bad spray, but we're talking about 40 cars here it's not exactly a widespread issue. Nozzles can fail in German plants too ya know lol
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 11:20 AM   #86
MineralGreyMetallic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 BGM M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewr View Post

I had a few dealerships and a CarMax take a paint measurement tool to my car when I was trying to trade in a 2015 STI. Fair enough, most of that car had body work. The entire left side of the car was repainted and all the top surfaces of the car had been hailed on. As an aside, big kudos to the body shop that repaired it because I couldn't tell the thing had ever been repaired. Ultimately the final condition of the thing is what matters from a value perspective. Repair work that is done so well it is not noticeable should not affect the value of a used car.

That was the first time I ever experienced that. I've bought and sold many cars in my life.

With my F87 they did very little paint inspection, and nearly half the left side of the car had been resprayed. The repair was done very well by a certified BMW auto body shop so perhaps they already had a record. The car was in great shape anyway. Pretty sure the repair was on the CARFAX also. This place originally tried to low ball me, but eventually gave me my asking price without mentioning the repair.

My conclusion was that it was just another tool a shitty dealer could employ to manipulate a lower price out of you.

Last edited by MineralGreyMetallic; 03-11-2024 at 11:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 11:32 AM   #87
M2siast
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Those posting that this is a non-issue and that “thicker paint is better” have a lot to learn about diminished value.
And you have a lot to learn about the English language and manners. I was asking a question.
But never mind, you probably don’t know the answer since you think a car loses 30% of its value when it’s factory corrected.

Doomsday is here.
Appreciate 1
chris7197363.50
      03-11-2024, 12:43 PM   #88
Werkz12
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2siast View Post
And you have a lot to learn about the English language and manners. I was asking a question.
But never mind, you probably don’t know the answer since you think a car loses 30% of its value when it’s factory corrected.

Doomsday is here.
Thicker paint is NOT better.

Last edited by Werkz12; 03-11-2024 at 12:49 PM..
Appreciate 0