BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

12-12-2023, 09:09 PM   #45
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR.WRLD View Post
I placed my order for the M2, fully loaded with the carbon buckets and M Suspension upgrade.
I'm coming from a 2020 Honda Accord making 480 wheel hp. It's a blast being a sleeper no doubt and can run a sub 9 sec 60 to 130.
I've been wanting a luxury sports car lately and I think the M2 will fit the bill. I've never driven a BMW or any sports car for that matter. I haven't even seen the M2 in person. So I kind of blindly went all in!

Personally never understood the fascination with 60-130. Just when is that a common range on the street? For me, on the street its stoplight to stoplight or running someone from a roll (not 60mph, that is waaay beyond a roll).

On the track, its running 1/8 or 1/4 mile times.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 09:46 PM   #46
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
A kid on my son's high school water polo team has a '23 Stingray and came over today to check out my Callaway Carbon Edition Z06. The Stingray had misaligned body panels, the headlights appeared to sit a little crooked in their openings, and I just don't find them attractive even now 5 model years in. Up close it's easy to see they're not anywhere near "supercar" level. The only people that say that are C8 owners.
Kind of sad because I didn’t have any of those issues with my C7. The paint delaminated on my engine cover but was replaced under warranty and didn’t happen again.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 12:06 PM   #47
ourlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: on the M2 2025 hunt

I think I speak for all of us. Let’s see vids of that accord doing stuff. Congrats on your order.
Appreciate 3
      12-13-2023, 12:16 PM   #48
Squidget
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87, 2011 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Power Rob View Post
Personally never understood the fascination with 60-130. Just when is that a common range on the street? For me, on the street its stoplight to stoplight or running someone from a roll (not 60mph, that is waaay beyond a roll).
My understanding is that 60-130 is not a street metric, it's a track metric. It gives you a better sense of power under curve and mostly removes traction from the equation (the problem with 0-60 and 0-100).

60-130 can give you a sense of how your car will perform when you are running courses that will bounce between 2nd and 5th gear. Lime Rock perhaps, the Ring, stuff like that. Not, say, autoX.

That's how it was explained to me anyway.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 05:45 PM   #49
MisanoblueZ4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40I

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuzu View Post
Sad to read all of this about the C8, I think it's super cool. That said the build quality of the G87 is top tier so far
It was a BIG leap forward for GM to pull off, as the C8 matures it should get better. Don’t forget the strike and its effect with workers probably not giving best effort leading up to resolution, it’s effected 23’s.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 08:34 AM   #50
M_Power Rob
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 M240 and '23 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidget View Post
My understanding is that 60-130 is not a street metric, it's a track metric. It gives you a better sense of power under curve and mostly removes traction from the equation (the problem with 0-60 and 0-100).

60-130 can give you a sense of how your car will perform when you are running courses that will bounce between 2nd and 5th gear. Lime Rock perhaps, the Ring, stuff like that. Not, say, autoX.

That's how it was explained to me anyway.

Ahhh...that would explain why not on my radar....HOWEVER, the OP referred to a sub 9 sec time at 60-130 which sounds like more street/drag race lingo. Then again, maybe I am reading too much into this rice burner...
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 10:30 AM   #51
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Giulia QV

I had a chance to drive one recently as well.
In my opinion M2 is a much better daily compared to any M car driven in the past.
However, at least for me, it's not exciting in any way. The engine/exhaust noise is meh, feels very synthetic. The steering feel on center is non-existent and general steering effort and response tuning is just not great. Obviously there is zero feedback on what the front wheels are doing.
Never thought it will come to this, but I honestly believe that 2020 M340i is a better car overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourlee View Post
I come from a tuned 2.5l transplant Miata then a tuned 350+hp base TT for reference. I would consider the M2 my first expensive luxury sports car. So with that in mind, I found the M2 extremely…….comfortable.
The m sport seat was super comfy, the interior was super luxurious, the clutch was really light and easy to use and the engine was smooth.
And here’s where the car is confusing me. Even with aggressive downshifts and hammering the throttle, it’s a bit of a non event. No doubt I was going fast, it just didn’t feel fast. I drove it in the setting just below track (sport+?) and honestly I’m not pleased with how it makes speed, it’s fast as F but it’s too silky for me.
Maybe this is what customers in this $ segment require and maybe I wasn’t ready for how luxurious the drivetrains are in cars like this.
For mods I’d do a mid pipe right away so I won’t repeat the standard too quiet talk and I’d also do port M HAS.
Moving on to the ride and steering, I have zero clue how any reviewer calls this car too stiff, compared to my past sports cars it’s a caddy. I was thinking 18/19 summer set but I’m keeping the 19/20 with aftermarket forged wheels.
I felt plenty of feedback in the steering wheel and it’s so quick but great on center.
FYI the car is a 2023 manual with 5k miles. I drove it for 30-40 minutes. We’ve all read some comments the ZF is a “better” fit for the M2 and that’s what I’d buy so when a used auto comes available, I’ll drive that.
In the meantime, I’m going to look more seriously at the C8 and 718S. My sales guy is also going to call me when M3 C xdrive becomes available to drive. I’m hoping to order a 2025 something this fall. Until I drive a ZF M2, it’s still number 1.
Cheers Rick
Appreciate 1
ourlee920.00
      12-14-2023, 11:07 AM   #52
Squidget
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87, 2011 E90 335i

Every modern 2 and 3 series I've ever driven is just as numb, and worse on front end handling than the g87. And of course less powerful, less eager to rotate, worse brakes. So this is confusing to me.

If you had said you miss a Porsche or Miata or QV, I'd understand. But AFAIK, ever modern BMW has the same numb feel and quiet motor. Is there something I'm unaware of in the 340 specifically?
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2023, 11:25 AM   #53
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

From these comments, I honestly don't know what other vehicles people are driving that they think the M2 is numb or boring/not exciting? I have a supercharged carbon edition Z06 with Z07 track pkg, and I enjoy driving my new M2 almost as much as I enjoy driving the Z06. I will say I test drove a '21 M340i before deciding to upgrade to an M car, and I was not impressed in the least with that car.

We must have a lot of Mario Andrettis on the forum.

His: '23 M2, Toronto Red Metallic, M highlight interior, carbon fiber interior trim, shadowline, lighting pkg, auto cruise, live cockpit pro.
Appreciate 4
aerobod3707.50
DSTR1275.50
Bumpinjeep5580.00
      12-14-2023, 12:04 PM   #54
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Using my Caterham as a reference of possibly the best steering feel of a road legal (barely) car on sale today, I have no problem in detecting what the G87 front wheels are doing. I would rate the G87 steering feel as much better than the average vehicle, even if it is not at the top for sports cars.

I do tend to use the technique of pushing up on the wheel instead of pulling down, though (more sensitive feeling in the wrists by doing that) and adjusting the tyre pressure for the optimum front end grip.
Appreciate 2
JABCAT2328.00
Bumpinjeep5580.00
      12-14-2023, 12:46 PM   #55
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep

I had Giulia QV and now drive a 718 GTS.
Not saying that M2 isn't sharper than M340. But at least for me the gap between QV and M2 is more significant compared to gap between M340i and M2. Pretty much same numb steering feel in both with M2 having a quicker ratio, but no added feel or feedback.
I don't track my cars and for me the most critical factor is how fun the car is in daily situations.
It's absolutely possible that G87 is a blast on a race circuit, but to me it makes no difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidget View Post
Every modern 2 and 3 series I've ever driven is just as numb, and worse on front end handling than the g87. And of course less powerful, less eager to rotate, worse brakes. So this is confusing to me.

If you had said you miss a Porsche or Miata or QV, I'd understand. But AFAIK, ever modern BMW has the same numb feel and quiet motor. Is there something I'm unaware of in the 340 specifically?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 12:51 PM   #56
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep

I wasn't referring to car's capabilities. Not a race car driver by any means. Absolutely agree that lots of it is a perception and previous experiences. Most modern cars aren't that good when it comes to steering, though even Genesis does it better than BMW these days.

Being new to the brand is one thing. But if one compares driving dynamics of E92 M3 and G87, they are just so far apart it's unbelievable that's only been 10 years.

Quote:
From these comments, I honestly don't know what other vehicles people are driving that they think the M2 is numb or boring/not exciting? I have a supercharged carbon edition Z06 with Z07 track pkg, and I enjoy driving my new M2 almost as much as I enjoy driving the Z06. I will say I test drove a '21 M340i before deciding to upgrade to an M car, and I was not impressed in the least with that car.

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 02:01 PM   #57
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

Quote:

A problem is - Define 'test drive' for those posting "i just tested it and my Fiat 500 is more fun or M340" - How long and what were you able to do on the drive to experience what capability the M2 has??????
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 04:06 PM   #58
ourlee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR.WRLD View Post
Even better, there's a few of us running over 500 wheel on this platform. Get your head out of your ass lol. IDK why you act like I'm lying or what we are doing is impossible?? Lol fuck off.
This is funny bros be making Honda power for decades. How’d he miss it?
Appreciate 1
BMR.WRLD276.00
      12-14-2023, 04:22 PM   #59
ourlee
Captain
Rep

I test drove a 23 Audi RS3 yesterday (I’m considering a M3 because of 4 doors and AWD) and this does that job loaded at $70k.
Compared to the M2, it seems a bit more visceral and it’s also 350lbs lighter. I didn’t have a ton of time so I’m going to find one to properly test and I’ll give a more thorough review.
This mirrors my initial thoughts after 10 minutes in the car:

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 04:36 PM   #60
M2 CCO
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [8.75]
Quote:
I test drove a 23 Audi RS3 yesterday (I’m considering a M3 because of 4 doors and AWD) and this does that job loaded at $70k.
Compared to the M2, it seems a bit more visceral and it’s also 350lbs lighter. I didn’t have a ton of time so I’m going to find one to properly test and I’ll give a more thorough review.

https://youtu.be/WTNKkyAoBko?si=gTaQn6AsnFemOsf0
I had pretty modified/tuned ‘18 RS3 before selling it and picking up an ‘20 M2C. Not much has changed with the car other than some interior updates. The car was blistering fast with AWD, but I honestly loved the feel of the M2C more and even more so with the G87 looking back at it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
ourlee920.00
      12-14-2023, 04:49 PM   #61
ourlee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 CCO View Post
I had pretty modified/tuned ‘18 RS3 before selling it and picking up an ‘20 M2C. Not much has changed with the car other than some interior updates. The car was blistering fast with AWD, but I honestly loved the feel of the M2C more and even more so with the G87 looking back at it.
Appreciate you but this new trick diff completely changes the car (I read this, can’t comment first hand yet that understeer is sorted) but the golf r is getting the same chat up.

Your rs3 is gorgeous
Appreciate 1
M2 CCO1101.50
      12-14-2023, 10:40 PM   #62
Searay55555
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_bm View Post
I wasn't referring to car's capabilities. Not a race car driver by any means. Absolutely agree that lots of it is a perception and previous experiences. Most modern cars aren't that good when it comes to steering, though even Genesis does it better than BMW these days.

Being new to the brand is one thing. But if one compares driving dynamics of E92 M3 and G87, they are just so far apart it's unbelievable that's only been 10 years.
I had a e93 335is for many years, and I feel like the G87 is so much more planted. It reminds me so much of my e46 from 2003, which before the G87 was my favorite car to drive. Okay, the exhaust is very tame compared to the ‘is’, but I wired the flaps open and that’s helping a little.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 10:27 AM   #63
akhbhaat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M318ti Type-R Turbo S

Quote:
It will be my only car daily driver including mild snow tire duty. My wife drives a (hated by me) cx5. We’re retired and I work part time and drive to the office 200 miles per week, summers off.
The car will go cross country (DE to LA) every summer to visit son 1. On the way I’ll hit tail, sisters, ouray etc and do 2 weeks of Malibu canyons and Angeles crest. I’ll also do beginner sessions at NJ Motorsports Park but the road-trip factor is the most important.
Driving this manana
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/4...-19e38bdbfe87/
That's a very good reason to pick up a (non-GT3) 911, then. I was actually happiest with them I had when I ran errands in them or did short road trips--they're engaging enough in traffic, aren't punishing to spend a lot of time in, and my partner was actually willing to ride in them. They were more of a letdown when I was doing late night or Sunday morning A-to-A driving, or at the track, when I wanted (a lot) more fizz. I would have kept one as a daily but it wasn't quite practical enough for that, either (I'm routinely packing a couple people + gear in to hit the slopes during winter, for example).

My brother has the previous gen (8V) RS3. I would give the edge to the F87/G87 in terms of hands-on driving dynamics (again, though, this is compared to the 8V, not the current 8Y) but otherwise I think it's a fantastic all-around car. Four doors, nice design and interior, and the straight five is loaded with character.
      12-15-2023, 11:45 AM   #64
azlightning213
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition X-Drive

Loved my 2021 and 2022 M340i’s.

The M2 is just a different animal altogether, not even sure how they’re being mentioned in the same sentence.
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2023, 12:07 PM   #65
tylerdurdem
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BGM M2

Quote:
I was also considering an RS3 before I picked up my G87, but test drives were impossible and I was told 2+ years for a car. Has that changed?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 01:05 PM   #66
Tslbmw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 24 M2 ZB MT

My local Audi dealer hit me back in Dec '22 w a turbo blue 8y RS3 w 2700 miles. I was driving a MKVIII R (manual) at the time, but was convinced by all the reviews that the RS3 was finally gonna be the car that takes me away from a manual. I gave them a $1000 deposit after receiving pics and vid. When I got back, I took it on two separate test drives and came away greatly underwhelmed and declined. To each their own of course, but when I test drove a G87 w 4500 miles on it was night and day. I was blown away -- ordered my M2 two days later.
Appreciate 2
ourlee920.00